Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Kino Insider

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1476 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

They Might Be Giants (1971) Starring George C. Scott, Joanne Woodward, Jack Gilford, Al Lewis, Rue McClanahan, F. Murray Abraham and M. Emmet Walsh - Shot by Victor J. Kemper (The Reincarnation of Peter Proud) - Music by John Barry (Monte Walsh) - Screenplay by James Goldman (Robin and Marian) - Directed by Anthony Harvey (The Lion in Winter).

Kino Insider

#1477 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New 2K Master!

The Gun Runners (1958) Starring Audie Murphy, Eddie Albert, Patricia Owens, Everett Sloane, Richard Jaeckel and Jack Elam - Shot by Hal Mohr (Baby Face Nelson, The Boss) - Screenplay by Daniel Mainwaring (Out of the Past) and Paul Monash (The Safecracker) - Based on a Novel by Ernest Hemingway (A Farewell to Arms) - Directed by Don Siegel (Charley Varrick).

Kino Insider

#1478 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Coming November 20th on Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Masters!

The Outer Limits: Season 2 (1964-65) with optional English subtitles

Special Features:
• THE UNKNOWN – the alternate cut of “The Forms of Things Unknown” intended a pilot for a show that was never broadcasted
• PLEASE STAND BY – the alternate cut of “The Galaxy Being” was the pilot episode shown to ABC executives which later on became THE OUTER LIMITS – with an optional commentary track by Film Historian Eric Grayson
• AUDIO COMMENTARIES for 13 of the 17 episodes by Film Historians David J. Schow, Tim Lucas, Gary Gerani, Craig Beam, Reba Wissner and Steve Mitchell
• 12 TNT PROMOS with Robert Culp, Harlan Ellison, Martin Landau, Cliff Robertson, William Shatner and Leslie Stevens (21:55)
• DAVID J. SCHOW – Showtime Interview (22:45)
• THE OUTER LIMITS PHENOMENON (12:08)
• PENN & TELLER TNT Host Segments (20:41)
• CLIFF ROBERTSON – THE GALAXY BEING – Full TNT Interview (36:00)
• JOSEPH STEFANO – Full TNT Interview (1:04:47)
• JOANNA FRANK – ZZZZZ – Full TNT Interview (21:02)
• TNT Interview with Casting Director Meryl O’Loughlin (23:44)
• CREATURE FEATURES with DAVID J. SCHOW (2:39)
• The Museum of Television & Radio's William S. Paley Television Festival - The Outer Limits - March 10, 2000 - with guests David M. Schow, Robert H. Justman, Lou Morheim, Conrad L. Hall, Martin Landau, Joseph Stefano (73:09)
• PROJECT UNLIMITED – Commentary by David J. Schow (20:21)
• ABC NEW YEAR’S PROMO (0:43)
• WHAT’S NEW ON ABC? – 1963 Promo with Edie Adams (6:32)
• 5 TV SPOTS (4:30)

• Joe Bob Briggs MonsterVision Host Segments (21:49) – Tentative – TO BE CONFIRMED

Note: The Outer Limits: Season 2 will also be released as 5-disc DVD set, but will not include all the Blu-ray extras.
Last edited by Kino Insider on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1479 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Haha wow, MonsterVision, that takes me back. I don't remember this show ever airing during those timespots, though!

Finch

#1480 Post by Finch » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Wow, They Might Be Giants is a great choice, and the DVD went for outrageous prices years ago.

Kino Insider

#1481 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:43 pm

10/2 The Night Stalker (4K) | The Night Strangler (4K) | The Spiral Staircase (4K) 10/16 Trilogy of Terror (4K) | The Ghost of Sierra de Cobre (2K) | Sangaree (4K/2K) 3-D | 10/23 Gun Shy (2000) | High Heels and Low Lifes | I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle (4K) | You Never Know Women (4K) 10/30 D.O.A. (1988) | Old Ironsides (2K) 11/6 A Man Alone (4K) | Lisbon (4K) | Big Trouble 11/13 Made For Each Other (2K) | Nothing Sacred (2K) | The Ice Harvest | The Interpreter | The Gingerbread Man | The Chamber 11/20 The Outer Limits (Seasons 2) | Mamie Van Doren Film Noir Collection [The Girl in Black Stockings | Guns Girls and Gangsters | Vice Raid] | On the Second Day of Christmas (DVD only) | Ebbie: Miracle at Christmas (DVD only) | Young Pioneers (DVD only) | Young Pioneers' Christmas (DVD only) 11/27 The Killing of Sister George (4K) | The Grissom Gang (4K) 12/4 The Puppet Masters (Special Edition) | National Lampoon's Class Reunion (Special Edition) (4K) | The Black Windmill (Special Edition) 12/11 Female on the Beach | Foxfire | The Last Command (4K) | El Paso (4K)

Coming Soon - Street Dates to be Announced:
Becky Sharp (4K) | Bend of the River | The Bigamist | Charley Varrick | Charly | Desert Fury | Far from Heaven | For a Few Dollars More (New 4K Restoration) | Gone to Earth / The Wild Heart | The Gun Runners (2K) | Jivaro (4K/2K) 3-D | Kundun | The Legend of Hillbilly John | The Midnight Man | Naked Alibi | Pink Panther Cartoons Volume 4-6 | Stick | The Tarnished Angels | They Might Be Giants | What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice (4K)

Also: 12/4 Atomic Café (1982)

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#1482 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:47 pm

Worth noting that Kino is, as far as I've seen, only releasing The Wild Heart, the Selznick re-edit of Powell & Pressburger's Gone to Earth, and NOT the original cut.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1483 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:49 pm

The Bigamist rescued from PD purgatory, nice!

Kino Insider

#1484 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:25 pm

HinkyDinkyTruesmith wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:47 pm
Worth noting that Kino is, as far as I've seen, only releasing The Wild Heart, the Selznick re-edit of Powell & Pressburger's Gone to Earth, and NOT the original cut.
Our release will include both cuts.

Kino Insider

#1485 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:26 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:49 pm
The Bigamist rescued from PD purgatory, nice!
Will be coming out with new 4K restorations of THE HITCH-HIKER and 2K restoration of NOT WANTED.

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#1486 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:25 pm
HinkyDinkyTruesmith wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:47 pm
Our release will include both cuts.
Rarely am I so pleased to be proven wrong!

Kino Insider

#1487 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Happy 68th Birthday to Bill Murray!
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Mad Dog and Glory (1993)
• Starring Robert De Niro, Uma Thurman & Bill Murray!
• With David Caruso, Mike Starr & Kathy Baker!

• Shot by Robby Müller (Breaking the Waves, Paris, Texas)
• Music by Elmer Bernstein (The Magnificent Seven, Far from Heaven)
• Written by Richard Price (The Night of, The Wire, The Deuce)
• Directed by John McNaughton (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Wild Things)

hearthesilence

#1488 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:23 pm

Ah, David Caruso and Kathy Baker, right before they became massive TV stars for NYPD Blue and Picket Fences. Caruso was really good for a short while. Shame how his work took a bad turn, but so it goes.

Kino Insider

#1489 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Coming 2019!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New 2K Master!

Kidnapped (1971) Starring Michael Caine, Trevor Howard, Jack Hawkins & Donald Pleasence - Shot by Paul Beeson (Candleshoe) - Music by Roy Budd (The Black Windmill) - Screenplay by Jack Pulman (Matchless) - Based on the Novel by Robert Louis Stevenson (Treasure Island) - Directed by Delbert Mann (Marty).

flyonthewall2983

#1490 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:35 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:23 pm
Ah, David Caruso and Kathy Baker, right before they became massive TV stars for NYPD Blue and Picket Fences. Caruso was really good for a short while. Shame how his work took a bad turn, but so it goes.
I liked him in King of New York a lot. He's really good in this, too. Bar any skeletons in the closet, he's someone I could see get a renaissance with the right material.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1491 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:40 pm

He's the male Shelley Long, hard to imagine him shaking the rep for theatrical glory

hearthesilence

#1492 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:45 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:35 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
I liked him in King of New York a lot. He's really good in this, too. Bar any skeletons in the closet, he's someone I could see get a renaissance with the right material.
I caught most his work on NYPD Blue in syndication, and except for his last batch of performances, the early ones definitely showed the promise of a really good film star. I've never seen Kiss of Death or Jade, but despite an impressive looking cast for the former, I've been told both were pretty disappointing. Meanwhile George Clooney stuck with ER until he had a good lead performance in an equally good film in his pocket (Out of Sight), and look at him now.

flyonthewall2983

#1493 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:54 pm

He was crucified when those films flopped, especially after leaving the show I remember. Then he (and his sunglasses) maybe dug the grave on CSI: Miami a bit deeper for him to be in anything of substance again, but who knows.

Roscoe

#1494 Post by Roscoe » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:56 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:45 pm
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:35 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
I caught most his work on NYPD Blue in syndication, and except for his last batch of performances, the early ones definitely showed the promise of a really good film star. I've never seen Kiss of Death or Jade, but despite an impressive looking cast for the former, I've been told both were pretty disappointing. Meanwhile George Clooney stuck with ER until he had a good lead performance in an equally good film in his pocket (Out of Sight), and look at him now.
Caruso's big mistake in KISS OF DEATH is in appearing onscreen with a bunch of the most skilled scene-stealers in cinema. Caruso's a perfectly fine actor, but he just doesn't stand a chance against the likes of Samuel L. Jackson, Vhing Rhames and Nicolas Cage in full body-building dimbulb wacko mode.

hearthesilence

#1495 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:40 pm
He's the male Shelley Long, hard to imagine him shaking the rep for theatrical glory
I really got into Cheers for about two months recently (and even posted about it in this forum). Did a little digging around the history of the show and what Long did before and after she left, and I think her leaving is much more defensible. She stuck around for five full seasons (while Caruso did one plus a few less-than-excellent episodes). For a while was really the best performer in the show, and the industry acknowledged this right away when she got an Emmy in the first season. The show was funnier and definitely wilder after she left, but it did lose something that she brought to the show.

But I think her character ran its course. Each season ended with a big cliffhanger that worked, but they stretched it to the limit, and I think they milked the Diane/Sam relationship for all its worth. The producers all said they were pissed when she left, but they all said that it did free the show to be something else, and I think they were right about this. It reminds me of SNL when Chevy Chase left - if you watch those DVD box sets, Season 1 was essentially "The Chevy Chase Show" (not the crappy talk show from the '90s), but once he left, the show flourished in ways that would not have been possible had it stayed the course.

Kino Insider

#1496 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Coming Soon!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New 2K Master!

Street People (1976) Starring Roger Moore, Stacy Keach, Ivo Garrani, Fausto Tozzi, Ennio Balbo, Loretta Persichetti and Ettore Manni - Shot by Aiace Parolin (Keoma, Seduced and Abandoned) - Music by Luis Bacalov (Caliber 9, The Boss, The Postman) - Directed by Maurizio Lucidi (The Designated Victim).

colinr0380

#1497 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:27 am

I quite liked Jade (perhaps my favourite William Friedkin film), though its no The Last Seduction!

(P.S. Shelley Long is great fun teamed up with Bette Midler in Outrageous Fortune, though its no Ruthless People!)

hearthesilence

#1498 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:27 am
(P.S. Shelley Long is great fun teamed up with Bette Midler in Outrageous Fortune, though its no Ruthless People!)
I saw that once in grade school when a sibling rented it. I still remember two scenes: how Long and Midler find out that they're both married to the same person (the best part being when the guy addressing them asks the CURRENT spouse to step forward, wrongly believing one of them is divorced) and the ending when ballet comes in handy and Long screams something like "12 years of ballet asshole!!!!"

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1499 Post by cdnchris » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am

Speaking of Ruthless People: I swore this was announced or hinted at as coming from Kino and now I don't see that. Did I dream that along with SkittleBrau?

I really need to upgrade my DVD.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1500 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Ruthless People has the greatest on-screen portrayal of stupidity I've ever seen in Bill Pullman's dumb hunk, so they better get him to sit for a retrospective interview if they are!