It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indicator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:59 am 

Does the Indicator sale offer free postage to the UK?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:28 am 

TMDaines wrote:
Does the Indicator sale offer free postage to the UK?

Nope.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:16 pm 

The Beaver on Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, Fanatic, The Gorgon and Maniac.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:28 am 

Wow, I didn’t see this until I went on their website. January 22 2018 release date for:

The Fortune

The Border

Blue Collar

& Charley Varrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:43 am 

January's discs have just been announced:

Quote:
BLUE COLLAR
(Paul Schrader, 1978)
Release date: 22 January 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere) - pre-order here

After writing Taxi Driver for Martin Scorsese, Paul Schrader made his directorial debut with this profane and profound drama about life on the factory floor of a Detroit car manufacturing plant. With explosive performances from the great Richard Pryor (Silver Streak, Stir Crazy), Harvey Keitel (The Border, Pulp Fiction) and Yaphet Kotto (Live and Let Die, Alien), Blue Collar presents one of the most authentic portraits of working-class life in all American cinema, and is one of the finest films of the 1970s.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio Commentary with writer/director Paul Schrader and author Maitland McDonagh
• A new filmed appreciation by filmmaker and actor Keith Gordon (2017, tbc mins)
• Interview with Paul Schrader (1982, tbc mins): an interview with film expert Tony Rayns
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by author and critic Brad Stevens, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
...AND MORE!

#PHILTD068
BBFC cert: 18
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071359

Quote:
THE BORDER
(Tony Richardson, 1982)

Jack Nicholson (The Last Detail, Wolf) gives one of his finest and most subtle performances as a hard-working but deeply disillusioned Mexican border-guard in this tough thriller from renowned British filmmaker Tony Richardson (Look Back in Anger, A Taste of Honey).

• Original mono audio
• Audio Commentary with critic and film historian Nick Pinkerton
• The Guardian Lecture with Tony Richardson (1991, tbc mins): archival audio recording of an interview at London's National Film Theatre
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by author Scott Harrison, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
...AND MORE!

#PHILTD069
BBFC cert: 18
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071366

Quote:
CHARLEY VARRICK
(Don Siegel, 1973)

Charley Varrick (Walter Matthau) is a former stunt-pilot who makes his living robbing small banks in the American Southwest. His latest heist sees him unwittingly steal from the local mafia, setting a psychotic hit-man on his trail and unleashing a maelstrom of violence and destruction.
Directed by the great Don Siegel (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Dirty Harry), Charley Varrick is one of the best thrillers of the 70s: action-packed, memorably lurid and gleefully unsentimental

• Original mono audio
• Last of the Independents: Don Siegel and the Making of ‘Charley Varrick’ (2015, 72 mins): a feature-length documentary on the making of the film
• The Guardian Lecture with Don Siegel (1973, tbc mins): archival audio recording of an interview conducted by Tony Sloman at London's National Film Theatre
• The Guardian Lecture with Walther Matthau (1988, tbc mins): archival audio recording of an interview at London's National Film Theatre
• Super 8 version: original cut-down home cinema presentation
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by author and critic Richard Combs, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
...AND MORE!

#PHILTD067
BBFC cert: 15
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071342

Quote:
THE FORTUNE
(Mike Nichols, 1975)

This high-concept, big-budget screwball comedy directed by Mike Nichols (The Graduate, Wolf) stars Warren Beatty (Mickey One, Bonnie and Clyde) as a slick con man and Jack Nicholson (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, The Border) as his dim-witted sidekick trying to get their hands on the fortune of a hapless young heiress played by Stockard Channing (Grease, The West Wing). A commercial failure on its initial release, this buoyant and beautifully staged madcap comedy is ripe for rediscovery and reappraisal.

• Original mono audio
• Audio Commentary with critic and film historian Nick Pinkerton
• Mike Nichols and Elaine May in Conversation (2006, tbc mins): the two friends and filmmakers in discussion, recorded at New York’s Walter Reade Theater
• A new filmed appreciation by professor Kyle Stevens, author of Mike Nichols: Sex, Language, and the Reinvention of Psychological Realism (2017, tbc mins)
• Isolated Music and Effects Track
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Martyn Conterio, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
...AND MORE!

#PHILTD071
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071397

A quick footnote: the sharp-eyed amongst you will doubtless have spotted that the first three discs are locked to Region B. This was unavoidable, I'm afraid: unlike all previous Indicator releases these were sourced from Universal, which has a mandatory region-locking policy with regard to third-party licenses. However, the overwhelming majority of Indicator releases will continue to be region-free (as was everything released in 2016 and 2017), and I'll make sure to highlight any other exceptions.

Last edited by MichaelB on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 am 

The no region-free thing is a bummer, but I’m really happy that Universal is the first other licensor regardless. These first titles are fantastic regarflrss. I skipped out on Charley Varrick as the second half of a late-running Matthau double bill just two weeks ago, but will probably rectify that by picking this one up!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:14 am 

I came home about 45 min ago to find that my Blue Collar and The Border blu rays from Germany had been delivered....

But I think I will double dip on at least Blue Collar, the extras look great on that one. Will probably just keep my german blu of The Border as well as my TT disc of The Fortune. Charley Varrick I will pick up if the overall transfer is better than the german disc.

But the Universal deal gives me hope for plenty of overlooked noirs for next year! At least The Big Clock, Criss Cross, Black Angel and Phantom Lady.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 am 

What can we expect from this Universal deal? What does it have that it doesn't want them and will licence to others?
Also, what other label has a Universal deal?

(I'm blind concerning rights etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 am 

Universal has their own titles, early Paramount stuff, and RKO if I remember properly. Would love to see some Sternbergs coming out of this!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:22 am 

Has anyone else had problems playing Indicator titles? My region-free Oppo won't play them, and I have to play them, instead, in my Samsung back-up. Which also means that I'm not sure I'll bother with region B titles, because I may not have a player for them.

Has any changes been made to anything that may make them work in older-firmware/older players?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:23 am 

HJackson wrote:
Universal has their own titles, early Paramount stuff, and RKO if I remember properly. Would love to see some Sternbergs coming out of this!

I asked Anthony from Arrow about this a while back, and he said Arrow had actually licensed the Paramount Sternberg titles but the masters weren't in good enough shape to release. Doesn't bode well for anyone but the likes of Olive, then, I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:31 am 

Drucker wrote:
Has anyone else had problems playing Indicator titles? My region-free Oppo won't play them, and I have to play them, instead, in my Samsung back-up. Which also means that I'm not sure I'll bother with region B titles, because I may not have a player for them.

Has any changes been made to anything that may make them work in older-firmware/older players?
I'm slightly concerned to hear this because all Indicator titles bar the three newly-announced Universal discs should not merely be region-free but specifically authored to be compatible with every Blu-ray setup worldwide. The only exception I can think of is the trailer for The Stone Killer, which was accidentally encoded at 50Hz, although everything else on that disc is fine.

For what it's worth, I QC all these discs in a region-free Oppo, and I've never had any problems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 am 

My region-free Oppo is slightly older, Oppo-93.

I updated the firmware for the first time last year and suddenly a bunch of titles stopped working. All Fox titles I own now freeze and don't even reach the menu. Indicator I think plays the PH logo but I can't get the film to play.

OTOH my Sopranos box set did start to work. I figure I just have bad luck but did wonder if there was something happening in the menu that could be weird.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:45 am 

Costa wrote:
What can we expect from this Universal deal? What does it have that it doesn't want them and will licence to others?

Indicator has its niche, which is generally similar to Kino's if a bit more skewed towards the 60s-80s in particular- we can expect them to handle titles that are generally similar to what they've put out in the past, but inclusive of the Universal library which (a lot like Sony) has been somewhat explored around the world but nowhere near raided fully. A title I can easily imagine coming that seems totally up Indicator's alley is Melvin and Howard, for one. This first set of titles is very encouraging to me because unlike the Sony releases it's pretty much out of the gate with titles that haven't made it out in the US yet (it took the Columbia titles a few months to reach that point with much frequency).

Last edited by Ribs on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:45 am 

That sounds like an individual player issue to me, I’m afraid: I’m not aware of this happening to anyone else. Obviously, I’d be very keen to know if I’m wrong, because these discs really should be universally compatible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:51 am 

Yep. Just bad luck on my part. Very disappointing though as I've never had a compatibility issue with a boutique label.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 am 

Quote:
CHARLEY VARRICK

It's unfortunate to start a new studio-deal with such a lackluster material. This is one of the most mediocre HD pre-existing master I saw recently, along with The Mechanic and Willie Dynamite. I hope the other 3 are better, despite still being pre-existing sources.

Technicalities aside, all titles look very interesting (though I've already seen Varrick recently and I can't say I found it very good).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:25 am 

I have the same player as Drucker and haven't had an issue playing Indicator titles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:30 am 

Hint for next month:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm 

Costa wrote:

Arrow have an active Universal deal, as far as I know. Be interesting to see what Indicator got that Arrow didn't...of course, Arrow managed to wrestle The Thing for a brand new restoration (a rarity for Universal).

tenia wrote:
Quote:
CHARLEY VARRICK

It's unfortunate to start a new studio-deal with such a lackluster material. This is one of the most mediocre HD pre-existing master I saw recently, along with The Mechanic and Willie Dynamite. I hope the other 3 are better, despite still being pre-existing sources.

Technicalities aside, all titles look very interesting (though I've already seen Varrick recently and I can't say I found it very good).

I had a little look on Caps-a-holic as I remembered there was a German Blu-ray of this recently, and anything has to look better than that old UK DVD. So even if it's the same master as the German disc, I'm happy with that over nothing at all. David M will make sure the encode is as good as it possibly can be.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:54 pm 

Feb - Technicolor Show Boat??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:42 pm 

So am I.

Does that mean that an Arrow Region A of Charley Varrick is a posibility, because I would love that.

This was in response to Costa:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:10 pm 

The Fortune, or what I saw of it on Youtube, is a weird, frustrating experience. It's a well-written, imaginative, nasty comedy that appears to have had all its punchlines neatly snipped out, which is apparently what Mike Nichols, or someone, did to the script. It's still pleasant enough so I guess it would be worth checking out, mainly to see Jack Nicholson chew up the remnants of what probably would have been the best comedic role of his career. Also, it's funny and not too surprising that there is no crying emoticon for messages in this forum :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:05 pm 

Drucker wrote:
HJackson wrote:

I asked Anthony from Arrow about this a while back, and he said Arrow had actually licensed the Paramount Sternberg titles but the masters weren't in good enough shape to release. Doesn't bode well for anyone but the likes of Olive, then, I suppose.

I'm more than happy with the French blu ray of BLONDE VENUS and if we get other Sternberg's in similar quality that would be just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:59 pm 

Did anybody receive a dispatch notification from indicator for their recent sale purchases? After paying 16.80 GBP for shipping, I was expecting at least an email (I was also expecting for a tracking number at that cost) saying my order has been dispatch. I used PayPal. My PayPal transaction is not even updated. I had to contact them on FB regarding my Sinbad and the eye of the tiger replacement disc, which I never received. As part of that communication I came to know that Sony distribution has shipped my order and I should receive them soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next