It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indicator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:06 pm 

R0lf wrote:
Drucker wrote:
HJackson wrote:
Universal has their own titles, early Paramount stuff, and RKO if I remember properly. Would love to see some Sternbergs coming out of this!

I asked Anthony from Arrow about this a while back, and he said Arrow had actually licensed the Paramount Sternberg titles but the masters weren't in good enough shape to release. Doesn't bode well for anyone but the likes of Olive, then, I suppose.

I'm more than happy with the French blu ray of BLONDE VENUS and if we get other Sternberg's in similar quality that would be just fine.

I think this came up here with regards to Ernst Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise, but this is the big problem with Paramount titles from this era - when they were sold off to Universal, the negatives were generally trashed after being replaced by dupes. This was why Trouble in Paradise was issued only on DVD and not on Blu-Ray by Eureka/MoC - the image was already soft and grainy enough that the difference in quality was considered insufficient to warrant a BD release. (FYI, their DVD is still much better than Criterion's, which looks much softer.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:20 am 

It'd be great if we got some later Liz Taylor.

X Y & ZEE (Columbia) and the Losey duo BOOM! and SECRET CEREMONY (Universal) would all be welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:24 am 

Here's hoping that through the Universal deal they release Midnight (1939) and The Heiress (1949). Two terrific films that have yet to be released on bluray and that are begging to get the Indicator treatment. Besides, we need more screwball comedies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:44 pm 

hearthesilence wrote:

I asked Anthony from Arrow about this a while back, and he said Arrow had actually licensed the Paramount Sternberg titles but the masters weren't in good enough shape to release. Doesn't bode well for anyone but the likes of Olive, then, I suppose.

I'm more than happy with the French blu ray of BLONDE VENUS and if we get other Sternberg's in similar quality that would be just fine.

I think this came up here with regards to Ernst Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise, but this is the big problem with Paramount titles from this era - when they were sold off to Universal, the negatives were generally trashed after being replaced by dupes. This was why Trouble in Paradise was issued only on DVD and not on Blu-Ray by Eureka/MoC - the image was already soft and grainy enough that the difference in quality was considered insufficient to warrant a BD release. (FYI, their DVD is still much better than Criterion's, which looks much softer.)[/quote][/quote]

Re Trouble in Paradise a new 35mm print described as a "restoration" from UCLA was screened at Bologna this year. I'm pleased to say it brought a packed to the rafters house to its collective feet with minutes of rapturous applause. One of the great viewing experiences of my life. More to the point the new 35mm still looks much to me like a work in progress, apart from some density variations and variable white/black levels and sharpness there was a fair bit of emulsion damage, especially around reel ends with cigarette burns and so on prominent. But the best I've ever seen it. As for the Sternbergs I think there may be other reasons why Anthony Neild of Arrow was dissuaded from taking on the Dietrich titles. But my lips are sealed. I will say however that along with the excellent 1080p encode for BLonde Venus on the French Blu, there are extremely high quality prints/sources for Empress and Devil is a Woman in Europe and now the USA, as well as the 4K of Shanghai Express which Universal completed some time ago. Leaving only Morocco and X27/Dishonored as relatively unknown titles in the quality stakes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:45 pm 

Cine Outsider and Mondo Digital on Fragment of Fear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 am 

...and Cine Outsider and Mondo Digital on Torture Garden.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:19 pm 

Can someone remind me what TT titles could possibly Indicator release? (of what studio)
There is a TT sale, and i want to give my attention to the titles that Indicator wouldn't release.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:22 pm 

Received my Indicator order today, but one of the titles was wrong (they sent me Hardcore instead of Mickey One). After double checking my original order, I've sent them an e-mail. Has anyone had to email Indicator before? How responsive are they?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:24 pm 

Very, but check your junk mail.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:34 pm 

willoneill wrote:
Received my Indicator order today, but one of the titles was wrong (they sent me Hardcore instead of Mickey One). After double checking my original order, I've sent them an e-mail. Has anyone had to email Indicator before? How responsive are they?

I had exactly the same issue, e-mailed them and got a response within the hour (earlier today) that they forwarded the issue to Sony.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 pm 

willoneill wrote:

I have the same exact situation here. I already had Hardcore. Now, I have two. I contacted them on FB. The person helping me was nice but his last reply that I received regarding Sony distribution's poor dispatch performance is not really promising. He asked me to send an email to an ID, which I did. Then, he said that he has forwarded that email to Sony Distribution. It sounded weird too that indicator is totally blaming it on Sony distribution. If it doesn't get resolved in next one week, I will file a case on PayPal. They will take care of it. The other option is to forget about it and be happy with the two copies of Hardcore.
This is kind of scary customer service. I will keep this in mind if I want to participate in their sale in future.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:47 pm 

This is kind of funny that somebody in Sony Distribution is reading Mickey One as Hardcore. How on earth is that even possible? So far three of us have the same issue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 pm 

chatterjees wrote:
This is kind of funny that somebody in Sony Distribution is reading Mickey One as Hardcore. How on earth is that even possible? So far three of us have the same issue.

Maybe the item codes for those two releases are similar or have been mixed up. But yeah, that's pretty weird that it's the exact same error.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:45 pm 

I also got my order today and only received 10 of the 11 titles I purchased. I am missing The Big Heat. I emailed them, but have not heard back yet. Then now after reading the thread, I went backed and checked, and too received Hardcore instead of Mickey One. It’s on my order confirmation email, but the packing slip lists Hardcore. I feel dumb for not realizing sooner. I guess I was too flustered with the missing item.

This was my first order with them, and this could certainly get resolved, but I can’t say I’m eager to buy directly again.

Last edited by eastguy on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:52 pm 

I too received my order today, and am missing The Big Heat as well (but no other items). I also sent them a message - hopefully it's a situation where it's backordered or something and not just a coincidence them failing to include the same item in two orders.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:02 pm 

My order arrived this morning and was also missing The Big Heat of all things. It was included on the order slip as being unavailable and shipping separately at a later date. Just as long as we all don’t get copies of Hardcore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:42 pm 

Also missing The Big Heat, but got an e-mail yesterday saying that they just shipped one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 am 

Costa wrote:
Can someone remind me what TT titles could possibly Indicator release? (of what studio)
There is a TT sale, and i want to give my attention to the titles that Indicator wouldn't release.

Only any titles that are Sony licensed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:57 am 

Just got my reply from Powerhouse/Indicator:
Quote:
Hello there William
Apologies, Sony Distribution seem to be in a pickle at the moment. We will send your copy of Mickey
One from here at Head Office.
Again we are very sorry, please keep your copy of Hardcore with our compliments.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 am 

"Sony Distribution seem to be in a pickle at the moment"? Surely the scramble around the Kevin Spacey debacle isn't to blame, is it? (i.e. the recasting of the Ridley Scott film and the scramble to meet the same December release date)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 am 

No, because that literally has nothing to do with anything even tangential to home media? The warehouses are most likely just busy because it's getting near Holiday shopping and they're most overstretched at this time of year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:48 am 

nitin wrote:
Costa wrote:

Ah, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:55 am 

Ribs wrote:
No, because that literally has nothing to do with anything even tangential to home media? The warehouses are most likely just busy because it's getting near Holiday shopping and they're most overstretched at this time of year.

Yeah, I thought home media was pretty much separate from anything going on with current productions but my imagination went off and running by the way that email had been phrased.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:17 pm 

nitin wrote:
Costa wrote:

Except Indicator has new deals with additional unnamed studios now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:06 pm 

Well, Universal has been named, but have they fuelled any TT releases?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next