It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 Post subject: Re: Indicator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:30 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Nope. Sony, MGM, and Fox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:54 am 

chatterjees wrote:
This is kind of funny that somebody in Sony Distribution is reading Mickey One as Hardcore. How on earth is that even possible? So far three of us have the same issue.

Some kind of warehouse barcode processing issue? A picker error?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:07 am 

MichaelB wrote:
M Sanderson wrote:
I’ve bought several Indicator release and have been impressed by the quality. They’re mostly using outstanding or at least very good masters (Bunny Lake, Christine, Body Double, Hardcore, Joe Egg, Deadly Affair) although like all labels, not all they’re given are great, suffering fading, such as Castle Keep, The Reckoning, etc. What they’re supplied with they give the highest level of treatment, and I’m impressed by their choice of titles, surprising given so far they’re licensing from only one company, Sony. I think they can only get better, and look forward to the day when they can produce their own restoration jobs, as well a slicence from different studios.

Deals have been signed with two more rightsholders, and the first fruits of that will be unveiled in January. Although the overwhelming majority of Indicator's 2018 releases will continue to be drawn from the Sony (Columbia) catalogue, as they still have plenty to get through.

As for producing their own restoration jobs, this is already happening to a certain extent - although a full-on 4K original-neg scan is way beyond Powerhouse's budgets, quite a few recent titles have been cleaned up. In fact, you can see this illustrated on the Fanatic disc because for logistical reasons the extras had to use the original master, complete with white spots-a-go-go that have been pretty much entirely eliminated from the feature presentation.

In fact, I was unexpectedly impressed with how well the Hammer titles spruced up: unavoidably, Powerhouse had to use the same masters as were furnished to Mill Creek, but the combination of a general clean-up and a vastly higher bitrate has paid very noticeable dividends - Mill Creek crammed two titles onto a single-layer disc, while Indicator's individual titles take up more than half the capacity of a dual-layer one (and they're all under 100 minutes and three are under 90, so don't need any more than they get). Restoring the original British credit sequence of Fanatic took a fair bit of effort (not least matching the overall appearance to Sony's master of the US version), but was also well worth doing, and I very much hope that future Hammer titles will similarly offer options to play either the British or American release versions. (Sony invariably supplies the US version, which is why all previous video releases of Fanatic have been called Die! Die! My Darling!.)

Quote:
I rewatched Christine recently, and am enormously impressed by the presentation. I found it better than the German release I used to have. But, I heard there were audio issues with the first pressing. And, for the first time I noticed dialogue missing from the Alexandra Paul character, just before Christine is captured and crushed. When she’s guiding the John Stockwell character in his Caterpillar vehicle. Is there a replacement program, and has anyone else noticed this problem?

The replacement programme was launched within weeks of the original release a year ago - if you think you have a faulty copy (if I remember rightly, the one of the rear channels in the 5.1 mix was silent), contact info@powerhousefilms.co.uk to see if they can still replace it.

As a result of that, I now routinely circulate graphical maps of all multichannel soundtracks to the production team prior to sign-off - obviously, those don't do more than confirm that something is happening on every channel, but it does at least offer instant visual assurance to team members without surround setups that there's something there. (They can also be quite revealing in other ways - The First Men in the Moon has 3.1 and 5.1 options, but the subwoofer channel is noticeably louder in the 5.1 version.)

Fanatic looks really good. Enjoyed it a huge amount. I used to read about this Matheson scripted psychological movie in David Pirie’s Heritage of Horror.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:10 pm 

Got my order after two weeks and got a copy of The Stone Killer (which I already own) instead of Castle Keep. Such a great label - just a shame that they've totally dropped the ball on distribution. I'll happily take advantage of these kind of savings in future, but I'll keep going to HMV or Fopp for my must-own-now purchases.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:16 pm 

But they're fixing people's orders and letting them keep the extra copies?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:23 pm 

swo17 wrote:

Yes, exactly, they were very quick and polite in their response to me. And, as far as I can tell, this appears to be a Sony Distribution screw-up, not theirs. So I'll be Pollyanna here and chalk it up to a relatively new and small label running their first sale, and I'm sure they'll iron out the kinks for the future.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:59 pm 

swo17 wrote:

Well yes, if a load of people don't get what they ordered then rectifying it should be par for course, no? Again, a great label and the people behind it clearly care about the work they're doing, but I'm definitely soured on buying direct from them in future.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:01 pm 

I think they're trying to go above and beyond in their manner of rectification but I guess it isn't working if you're still soured on them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:16 pm 

HJackson wrote:
Got my order after two weeks and got a copy of The Stone Killer (which I already own) instead of Castle Keep. Such a great label - just a shame that they've totally dropped the ball on distribution. I'll happily take advantage of these kind of savings in future, but I'll keep going to HMV or Fopp for my must-own-now purchases.

If they let you keep it I'd happily take your spare copy of The Stone Killer off your hands... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:45 pm 

So did people receive anything when their orders shipped out. I know it's still early for getting it in the US, but I never received any kind of shipment confirmation just an automatic reply on receipt of my Paypal payment, so it has me wondering if mine ever went out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 pm 

Packages from both my orders arrived 7 or 8 days after I placed them, but I did not receive dispatch notifications. Incidentally, they used bubble envelopes with my address handwritten in quite elegant script, which is always refreshing to see.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:03 am 

Lowry_Sam wrote:
So did people receive anything when their orders shipped out. I know it's still early for getting it in the US, but I never received any kind of shipment confirmation just an automatic reply on receipt of my Paypal payment, so it has me wondering if mine ever went out.

I asked the same question here few days ago but never received an answer. Now I have an answer for you. No, there was no dispatch confirmation email. As I was charged 16.50 GBP for shipping for 7 items, I was wondering what kind of shipping they are going to use. Well, they actually did good. They used FedEx express international and I received my order in 4 days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:32 pm 

Well it's 2 weeks now, perhaps mine was shipped another method since I requested it to go to my PO Box rather than home (I hate things being left on my doorstep).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm 

The New Centurions LE is now listed under out-of-print.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 am 

I wanted to ask something:
The specs of Indicator Bluray of Jason and the argonauts vs. the US bluray, seem exactly the same to the last byte.
How can this be?
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0& ... 41&i=2&l=0

Didn't Indicator do their own encoding?

Something tells me that caps-a-holic have made a mistake and posted the same specs for both.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 pm 

The Jason disc is the same as HMV disc, which I guess is just a port of the U.S disc.

Similar to Annie Hall and Manhattan in Arrow's Woody Allen collection, Indicator lobbied to include Jason in the box for a more complete package to compare with Vol.1, and to write about it in the booklet, but it will remain box-set exclusive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:17 pm 

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned here, but it was certainly publicised elsewhere (I can think of at least three places, including Blu-ray.com and the official Indicator Facebook page) that Powerhouse was only able to include Jason and the Argonauts if it was the existing Sony disc. And Apperson is entirely correct about the parallels with the Annie Hall and Manhattan situation.

Basically, if a title is currently in print on BD in the same territory, major studios don't seem to like boutique labels producing what will inevitably be perceived as rival editions, especially if they attempt to improve on them (Arrow, for instance, would certainly have fixed the subtitle gag in Annie Hall if they'd been given the option). So it's the existing disc or nothing at all, take it or leave it.

Although fortunately the existing Sony edition of Jason is excellent - the only minor annoyance being that two of its extras were also included in the Indicator Sinbad box (because at the time they hadn't managed to secure Jason), but there's not a lot that can be done about that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:37 pm 

Ok, thanks for your replies.

Something else:
Is Gun Fury something that Indicator could release? I see it's a Columbia title.
there are fewer than 50 copies remaining in TT (i wouldn't expect it so for such a recent release!!!). (i guess it's because it's 3d? I think many people buy 3d regardless of the film, just for the sake of it)

And I'm torn now. I would prefer an indicator release, if there is the possibility.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:41 pm 

Final specs for The Pumpkin Eater. I'm really pleased with how this one turned out - the extras don't just thoroughly explore the film (Neil Sinyard's commentary is a model of the form) but also delve extensively into the source novel's real-life inspiration.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:37 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
Final specs for The Pumpkin Eater. I'm really pleased with how this one turned out - the extras don't just thoroughly explore the film (Neil Sinyard's commentary is a model of the form) but also delve extensively into the source novel's real-life inspiration.

I'm looking forward to those extras. As in other adaptations by Harold Pinter, his dialogue in The Pumpkin Eater is so distinctive that someone unfamiliar with the source (as I am with Penelope Mortimer's novel) might at times forget that it is drawn from another writer's work.

The unforgettable hair salon scene with Anne Bancroft and Yootha Joyce, which Mr. Deltoid mentioned earlier in this thread, is an example where I felt totally drawn into a Pinter world. That reaction was obviously rather unfair to Mortimer, presuming that some form of the scene exists in the novel.

It will be fascinating to learn about the adaptive process traced from the novel's inspiration to the final script and realization.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:03 am 

Colpeper wrote:
I'm looking forward to those extras. As in other adaptations by Harold Pinter, his dialogue in The Pumpkin Eater is so distinctive that someone unfamiliar with the source (as I am with Penelope Mortimer's novel) might at times forget that it is drawn from another writer's work.

The unforgettable hair salon scene with Anne Bancroft and Yootha Joyce, which Mr. Deltoid mentioned earlier in this thread, is an example where I felt totally drawn into a Pinter world. That reaction was obviously rather unfair to Mortimer, presuming that some form of the scene exists in the novel.

Actually, that particular scene is pretty much unique to Pinter - one of two key scenes. If I remember rightly, the encounter is very briefly alluded to in the novel, but the dialogue is all Pinter - and doesn't it show?

(Not a complaint - in fact, I was very careful when overseeing the SDH subtitles on this one, as I wanted them to be syllable-precise given how forensic Pinter's dialogue can be. In the end, that wasn't possible, as there were too many scenes with children all shouting at the same time, but I hope I achieved it when the adults were talking.)

Quote:
It will be fascinating to learn about the adaptive process traced from the novel's inspiration to the final script and realization.

This is where getting Jeremy Mortimer was a real coup - as someone who lived through the real-life events that inspired his mother's novel (albeit as a child), he's pretty much the perfect guide, and the 32-minute running time alone reveals how generous he was with his time and reminiscences. And both Mortimer and Neil Sinyard tackle the differences between novel and screenplay in some depth - one key difference being that the novel is a first-person monologue whereas the film isn't. In fact, that's just reminded me of the second unique-to-Pinter scene: the confrontation between Peter Finch and James Mason in the club, which obviously couldn't have been in the novel as it wasn't personally witnessed by its narrator.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:53 am 

My favorite scene, too. “I’m wet! You’ve made me wet!” “Yes.”

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm 

Received my replacement copy of Mickey One today, so I'm a happy customer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 pm 

MichaelB,
With your work as a disc producer, I was wondering if you might be able to provide some insight into a question I have.

Last night I was doing my own comparison between the Indicator & Twilight Time releases of The Last Detail. As expected from all sources, the Indicator disc handily trounces the Twilight Time disc in almost all ways. However, there is actually one area where the Twilight Time disc is superior: the Theatrical Trailer

The Twilight Time disc has the trailer in widescreen HD, with the quality pretty close to the quality of the film transfer (good color, sound, etc).

The Indicator disc has a fullscreen trailer that is clearly of SD origin and the quality is pretty bad (lots of damage, faded colors, pretty bad sound).

They are the same trailer (both running 2:58, same cuts, same VO, same optical titles in the same places), so it's not a case of 2 different theatrical trailers being used; and since the Twilight Time disc was released first, it's not like this was a newer scan of the trailer after the Indicator disc.

Why would a licensor (in this case, Indicator) producing a newer, better disc be using a much poorer quality version of the trailer than a previously released disc (from a different licensor)? Shouldn't Sony provide the same quality trailer to both?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:01 pm 

That disc was before my time, I’m afraid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20