It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Garagehouse Pictures
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:34 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Well, the first volume of Trailer Trauma is an entertaining collection of trailers for films I never want to see! After having seen so many from the first volume, I’ve only seen five of the films offered up here. None of those were any good, but at least the trailer for Captain Apache improves on the source by having Lee Van Cleef sing a song about his role in the movie!

While I’m pretty sure I never want to watch any movie represented here (well, maybe Fingers), I did jot down things of interest:

Some of these movies have amazing taglines and narration. My favorites:

“If you see it once, you see it forever!” - Sacrifice (one of the greatest taglines I’ve ever heard)

“Once a lovely young girl, now some blood stains on the wall” - Jack the Ripper

“A film beyond belief, even to the Devil himself” - the Demon Lover

“He was conceived in a grave and weened on human blood” - Grave of the Vampire (Also features a remarkable response from a pregnant mother to being told she needs an abortion)

“Starring Cameron Mitchell as Reinhart Rex, master of the mutants” - Mutant War (An incredible sentence and the world is a better place for it existing)

And there is no shortage of audacity, both real and manufactured. Take the Annihilators, which at first appears to be a racist film about white army dudes cleaning up the ghetto before transitioning to the kidnapping of a schoolbus of children by a machete-brandishing lunatic, this one has something to make everyone uncomfortable! Or the faux “with it”-ness of Kill, which starts with a twelve year old boy talking about his heroin addiction and ends with an embarrassed James Mason looking like he thought he had the Fernando Rey role in a French Connection equal. And Blood Sucking Freaks née the Incredible Torture Show reveals the only thing worse than an HG Lewis film is a fake HG Lewis film!

Strange or notable casting choices abound in these films. From Newhart’s Julia Duffy as a hippie teenager in the ghastly-looking "comedy" Wacko to a bald Ernie Hudson as the villanious rapist in Penitentiary II (which looks about ten years too late on the Blacksploitation market) to poor Stewart Granger as a Nazi (?) in Hell Hunters. Ralph Meeker gets a lot of mileage out of a bizarre reaction shot in the Alpha Incident trailer as well, though he’s overshadowed by another cast member’s inexplicable line, “The only time I stay in one spot this long is when I’m in bed with a chick or I’m sleepin!” My favorite celebrity appearance here though has to be Dabney Coleman as the crooked white cop trying to keep the black man down in Black Fist— love his 100% Dabney Coleman response to being called a pig!

And then there’s the ephemera, like how Beyond and Back appears to tell the story of the afterlife entirely in zoom pull shots, or how Mean Frank and Crazy Tony sets the record for the number of times two character names have been used in a single trailer. And of course Food of the Gods II (how did we all sleep on part one?!) adds yet another rat movie to the list of rat movies. And finally, there’s Homebodies, which in many ways is the perfect encapsulation of the entire trailer experience offered here: an interesting idea (here, old folks go up against gentrification by killing everyone who tries to reclaim their tenement building) executed with no apparent skill or prowess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:14 pm 

domino, I'm sure you already know that Fingers was the film that Jacques Audiard remade in French with 2005's The Beat That My Heart Skipped (reversing the usual trend of English language remakes!). I particularly like that this shows that Harvey Keitel moping around naked in films was a thing long before The Piano and Bad Lieutenant! Plus the trailer has that great moment of Tisa Farrow signifying that she is breaking up with Keitel by snuggling up to a large black man!

I was curious about Goliathon, which is also known as The Mighty Peking Man (a Hong Kong/Japanese co-production between Shaw Brothers and Shochiku to cash in on the Godzilla and King Kong trend, though it had the misfortune to come out the year after the unfortunate 1976 King Kong remake!) and has just been released in the UK by 88 Films.

You've picked out the films that I'm vaguely interested in. Wacko doesn't look great but it does look far funnier than any of the Scary Movie series! (At the very least it has George Kennedy getting custard pied!). Whilst Hysterical looks about as funny as the Scary Movie films. They both have that kind of mania-verging-on-desperation vibe to them though (very much like the later Scary Movie franchise in fact!)

And Homebodies looks intriguing in an 'aren't these murderous old dears lovable really?' kind of way, but if I want the elderly versus callous property developers I'll stick with *Batteries Not Included (or the upcoming Aquarius), thank you very much!

I'm most interested in Sunday In The Country (seemingly a Straw Dogs-style Canadian film with Ernest Borgnine!) and also the above mentioned The Alpha Incident, though that may just be because despite having watched the trailer a few times I still don't really know what the plot of the film is! (Is it a techno-thriller like The Andromeda Strain or Phase IV? Or something more 60s like The Satan Bug? Or something completely different involving a bunch of people bickering in a rural backwoods cabin? I'd be fine with any of those set ups, but it would be nice to know which one it was!). And perhaps Kill! just for the cast, the setting around the Afghanistan drug trade (long before the Traffik TV series) and it being one of only two films that Romain Gary directed.

Beyond and Back looks utterly ridiculous and seemingly very much in the trend of those Faces of Death films, though this one is positing itself as less a viscerally gruelling look at methods of death and decay of the body than, with its G rating and 2001-style flying through tunnel special effects, as some kind of 'uplifting experience for all of the family to witness'! But I might be curious to see it some time as all of those 'case studies' of various people who have had near death experiences come across as pretty amusing in the trailer! People just merrily driving their car off a cliff, or happily minding their own business before suddenly flying their light aircraft directly into the ground (as you do! But this was decades before Harrison Ford popularised doing that kind of thing), and so on! (It also reminded me of The Day Today's take-off on that kind of story too!)

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 pm 

Going back to that 80s Horrorthon third volume for a moment, I'd also really like to see that strange looking sci-fi horror film (that looks a bit like a mix of Saturn 3 and Galaxy of Terror! And anticipating Event Horizon!) Nightflyers, based on a George R.R. Martin story(!) and starring Catherine Mary Stewart (a couple of years after Night of the Comet) and Lisa Blount (the same year she was the female lead in Prince of Darkness).

domino, I understand your reticence about the commentary (I could have done without hearing during the trailer for Bigas Lunas's uncharacteristic Spanish horror film Anguish about Zelda Rubinstein being rather a randy lady and that the commentator would have been more than eager to have had, ahem, carnal relations with her!) but found it pretty fun! There were a couple of interesting titbits that I learnt from the commentary. One was that is seems that everyone else was seemingly just as frustrated by the vague, pointless title of Blue Monkey as you were! And that it is apparently only titled that due to a small aside from one of the child characters, played by a young Sarah Polley(!), that "we'll probably just find a blue monkey or something in there!". But the commentator says that they don't!
___

A number of those 1986-88 trailers also reminded me of that 'groups of kid friends having adventures inside a genre film' period (the same period that is getting riffed on these days with Super 8 and Stranger Things), and that while there were more kid friendly entries such as The Goonies (though I remember the element of threat even in that film being pretty intense and exciting as a kid!) and Explorers there were quite a few films that were bridging the gap from the fare more aimed at kids to the more full blooded fare yet still featuring young teen characters, mostly played by actors named Corey! (So arguably Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter belongs in this cycle too! Or at least is heavily influenced by the young teen protagonist aspect). A film like The Monster Squad fits neatly right in the middle (with its goofy fun riff on the Universal monsters, yet with added swearing and violence), whilst The Lost Boys has a pretty gory final act and relegates its group of younger teen friends to the supporting cast while we focus on Jason Patric's older teen falling in with the wrong gang. Even if they are the only ones able to combat the threat at the end!

For my money though The Gate is one of the best of that cycle, intensifying the horror elements whilst still remaining about childhood issues (fears of abandonment, losing your home, your parents turning against you, etc. Ideas that would crop up in a different form in the Child's Play films perhaps). And to go back to the modern cycle of these films, I still think that Joe Dante's The Hole took some cues from it!

Plus, while the trailer isn't on this set, I'd throw 1988's Pulse into that group as well, for its sensitive kids-point of view on the pressures of step parents and killer electricity!
___

There is also a nice appreciation of Kathryn Bigelow's Near Dark, with a mention of the music video made for the band Bill Paxton performed in (Martini Ranch, "Reach") at around the same time which features Paxton in the title role getting abused by most of the cast from Near Dark (plus Paul Reiser post-Aliens and bizarrely Judge Reinhold!) doing a kind of post-apocalyptic spaghetti western riff! It kind of outdoes Alex Cox's Straight To Hell for spaghetti western wackiness in just seven minutes (and weirdly kind of anticipates the music video for The Killers' All These Things That I've Done!)

___

Also I thought I would mention one film from volume 2 of Trailer Trauma that you have upcoming, which is the one film I would possibly recommend for some sort of rediscovery - The Possession of Joel Delaney starring Shirley MacLaine. But I think I understand why it isn't as well known as certain other big starry name headlined horror films from around the same time (though I think its worth mentioning in the same group as Faye Dunaway in Eyes of Laura Mars and Diane Keaton in Looking For Mr Goodbar), as it has a rather gruelling ending of drawn out sexual humiliation in the final scene of:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the 'possessed' title character kidnapping his sister's son and forcing him to strip in front of a crowd of cops and onlookers during the beachhouse climax. I don't remember there being any particular gore but the explicit child nudity in that scene is just as uncomfortably horrific in some ways.

The film probably compares most closely to The Exorcist (though there's a slow burning investigatory quality reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby too, though the MacGuffin here is voodoo rather than witchcraft). There's nothing as obviously violent as in the Friedkin film but the nudity is more graphic and the threat to children more sustained and intense throughout, though especially in that final sequence. Its a pretty gruelling watch. Plus while The Exorcist goes a bit over the top with all of its special effects, which helps to distance it a bit from reality, that final sequence of Joel Delaney is disturbing more for how it is bluntly literalising the far more down to earth theme of the cycle of child abuse that has been slowly building up.

(In some ways I wonder if the child actors in that film went through a more gruelling experience than Linda Blair did in her role! Though of course Linda Blair's 'ordeal' seemed more intense from the fame/notoriety that came after the film, whilst The Possession of Joel Delaney, and therefore its child actors, have stayed a bit more unknown).

Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu May 25, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:41 pm 

Perkins Cobb wrote:
This could also go legitimately in the "I've found a lost film" thread, but in any case this label's upcoming release of the regional indie The Dismembered (1962) sounds fascinating.

Mondo Digital.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:07 pm 

Mondo Digital on The Intruder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:00 pm 

The fourth volume of Trailer Trauma arrives on 11/6. From the Diabolik pre-order page:

Quote:
They’ve wreaked havoc at the drive-in… they’ve attacked the all-night horror-thon… now the terror that began with TRAILER TRAUMA will invade homes everywhere! A family settles in for a quiet evening of entertainment when suddenly, flashing across the television screen: scenes of utter cinematic insanity shock, disturb and forever scar! The fourth volume in the TRAILER TRAUMA series is a marathon of madness featuring 268 of the best and rarest TV spots for some of the greatest and most obscure 70s theatrical horror and exploitation films and beyond! Over three hours of demented delirium that will leave you traumatized!

Feature Specifications and Extras:

• Transferred in 4K & digitally mastered in full HD• Sound digitally mastered from the original optical tracks• Audio commentary with FRIGHTFEST GUIDE TO MONSTER MOVIES author Michael Gingold, PAPERBACKS FROM HELL author Grady Hendrix and Temple of Schlock’s Chris Poggiali• Garagehouse Pictures trailers

• All regions

2017 / 181 mins. / Color / Mono / Not Rated

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:58 pm 

I'm tempted to get these Trailer comps, but I'd be afraid after the initial watch and then again with the commentary I would just be done with it.