Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MichaelB

Re: Kino

#2926 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:22 am

Restorations are not in the public domain.

EddieLarkin

#2927 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:41 am

I think Minkin is referring to the fact that there are two competing restoration projects of the Keaton shorts. One, from Lobster Films and David Shepard's Blackhawk Films, and the other from Cohen and the Cineteca di Bologna. More details here.

This Kino set is of the Lobster restorations, whilst presumably Cohen will in the future release their own set. And like with Nosferatu, Birth of a Nation and Man with a Movie Camera, the BFI and Eureka could licence one set each.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2928 Post by Drucker » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Personally, I'm going to hold off for Masters of Cinema to release this on blu, especially since I have all of the other Keaton blus from Kino. I got my copy of the MOC set in 2013 and the label said "second edition" so I have to assume it's one of their better sellers. If upgrading Shoah made financial sense, hopefully it makes sense for this upgrade, too.

pedromvu

#2929 Post by pedromvu » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Since 3 discs of this new release contain the same films as the previous release I was just wondering if this are indeed from new restorations? new scores or something? I couldn't find much details.

Roger Ryan

#2930 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:43 am

pedromvu wrote:Since 3 discs of this new release contain the same films as the previous release I was just wondering if this are indeed from new restorations? new scores or something? I couldn't find much details.
Apart from the Arbuckle film additions, the "alternate European edit" of The Blacksmith is something that was only recently discovered, after the 2011 Blu-ray set had come out. The set could definitely stand an upgrade: the more fully-restored version of Hard Luck should be on blu-ray and The Playhouse appeared to be up-scaled SD on the 2011 issue.

EDIT: Checking the running time for Hard Luck, I see it is listed as being 23 minutes, two minutes longer than the non-restored version that appeared on the 2011 set. Hopefully, that means we're getting the fuller version complete with the fade-out gag.

Jameson281

#2931 Post by Jameson281 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:19 pm

pedromvu wrote:Since 3 discs of this new release contain the same films as the previous release I was just wondering if this are indeed from new restorations? new scores or something? I couldn't find much details.
The release has the Lobster logo on the cover, so, yes, these should definitely be the new Lobster restorations.

pedromvu

#2932 Post by pedromvu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:30 am

Thanks, this is great then, seems Lobster track record is quite good seeing the already released Chaplin shorts and the Dziga Vertov films.

Now just hoping we will someday get the other restorations of his full length features (at least The General and Steamboat Bill Jr.) on home video, although I am not sure what is the situation with those since Cohen are the ones showing them Theatrically.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2933 Post by Drucker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:10 pm

Tommaso

#2934 Post by Tommaso » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Wow! Fantastic news. "Gold" has been available for some time from IHF, and it didn't look too bad for what was more or less a public domain version. But I'm sure this new Kino release will be the one to go for, even on DVD. I'm just surprised that this is coming at all. There were absolutely no news about it having been restored by FWMS or anyone else. And you don't see international releases of 1930s German films too often, anyway.

Now I wonder whether this was the 'mystery film' that MoC bought during the Berlinale. Still hoping for "Der müde Tod", of course, but I could well imagine (read: hope) that MoC will be doing "Gold" as well. It's a cool film with a lot of star power and a nice Science Fiction-plot (well, sort of), too.

Ashirg

#2935 Post by Ashirg » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Brett Wood posted that "Region A DESTINY will be out later this year."

L.A.

#2936 Post by L.A. » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Jud Süß (1940) on Blu-ray would be nice.

Tommaso

#2937 Post by Tommaso » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:17 pm

L.A. wrote:Jud Süß (1940) on Blu-ray would be nice.
Sure. But if it comes to Harlan, "Opfergang" is the first thing to look for. The most freakin' unbelievable thing ever produced in Germany in terms of its end-of-the-world aestheticism and over-the-top dialogues. Slavoj Zizek seems to be a huge fan of it, too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2938 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Mister Lime said they only acquired Gold so they could release it alongside the Magnetic Monster since that film apparently borrows certain shots

L.A.

#2939 Post by L.A. » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:25 am

Tommaso wrote:
L.A. wrote:Jud Süß (1940) on Blu-ray would be nice.
Sure. But if it comes to Harlan, "Opfergang" is the first thing to look for. The most freakin' unbelievable thing ever produced in Germany in terms of its end-of-the-world aestheticism and over-the-top dialogues. Slavoj Zizek seems to be a huge fan of it, too.
Haven't heard of Opfergang before. Thanks for the tip.

jsteffe

#2940 Post by jsteffe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:33 pm

I just saw the newish 35mm print of JE T'AIME JE T'AIME by Alain Resnais, and it looks radically different from the bluish Kino Lorber Blu-ray/DVD edition. Presumably this has to do with whatever master that was supplied to Kino Lorber.

The print was not bluish at all. It has nicely balanced colors and normal flesh tones. Jean Boffety's photography really gleams in places. If anything the print tends toward the warm side, and some individual shots even look a bit yellowish - I suspect that this had to do with yellow filters applied for color correction.

The old French Montparnasse DVD is closer to how the print looks color-wise, though that DVD is lacking in detail and not ultimately satisfactory either.

If anyone else releases this wonderful film on Blu-ray--and I hope they do--they will probably need to redo the color timing from scratch.

hearthesilence

#2941 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:02 am

jsteffe wrote:I just saw the newish 35mm print of JE T'AIME JE T'AIME by Alain Resnais, and it looks radically different from the bluish Kino Lorber Blu-ray/DVD edition. Presumably this has to do with whatever master that was supplied to Kino Lorber.
Jesus, what's with this trend of cooling down the color palette for BD release? Ugh.

Emak-Bakia

#2942 Post by Emak-Bakia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:10 am

Maybe they're just big New Edition fans?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2943 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:14 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
jsteffe wrote:I just saw the newish 35mm print of JE T'AIME JE T'AIME by Alain Resnais, and it looks radically different from the bluish Kino Lorber Blu-ray/DVD edition. Presumably this has to do with whatever master that was supplied to Kino Lorber.
Jesus, what's with this trend of cooling down the color palette for BD release? Ugh.
There seems to be a trend in some restoration houses (Bologna, Digimages and Eclair) on color movies which output debatable color-grading.

I don't know why, I don't understand the pattern of it either, but the results are there : Arrow had their share of issues with a few of their restorations (the 2 Black Cats movies, Solange, and Deep Red, so much they had to perform additional color corrections) which suffer from poor black levels and a trend towards yellow, the main bulk of what Gaumont is releasing since 2 years in their Gaumont Découverte collection has a yellow bias, and we all know the infamous TGTBTU new color timing (plus the OUATIA long cut one).

I've been told that the issues at Eclair could come from monitors which aren't calibrated frequently enough anymore. That and DoP's approving things they shouldn't approved (either because it's not their own work or because it seems their memories aren't precise enough anymore).

med

#2944 Post by med » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:42 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Especially irritating is when scenes from the film appear in the supplemental material, the blue tint is absent and everyone has normal-looking skin tones. (The image quality in these clips is inferior in every other respect, however.)

jsteffe

#2945 Post by jsteffe » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:20 pm

tenia wrote: [...]we all know the infamous TGTBTU new color timing (plus the OUATIA long cut one).
I don't enough about what kind of work was actually done on JE T'AIME JE T'AIME and what motivated the color timing decisions, only that I personally don't think it is as convincing as what I saw on the 35mm print.

For me the color timing on THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY is different. It's aesthetically motivated by the film's status as a stylized Western. I thought the "new" color scheme worked fine. Apparently Bologna based it on a reference print from the original Italian release. In terms of film restoration methodology, that is a legitimate decision even if it is not how most of us know the film.

It is also possible that the look on the JE T'AIME JE T'AIME Blu-ray is historically justified in the same way, though I don't imagine myself wanting to watch the film in that way again.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2946 Post by Drucker » Thu May 12, 2016 9:34 am

Beaver reviews the new Keaton shorts set.

Those screen caps look all over the place, with some looking almost scrubbed, others looking rich. I enjoyed the old Kino set, so I'm hoping the MOC package is a real upgrade (and fixes a few of the framing issues that appeared on that set.)

Roger Ryan

#2947 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu May 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Drucker wrote:Beaver reviews the new Keaton shorts set.

Those screen caps look all over the place, with some looking almost scrubbed, others looking rich. I enjoyed the old Kino set, so I'm hoping the MOC package is a real upgrade (and fixes a few of the framing issues that appeared on that set.)
I was hoping the screen caps from this new Blu-ray set would be compared with ones from the Kino Blu-ray set issued five years ago. Having recently re-watched selections from the older set, it looks like the image quality for The Playhouse is definitely improved on the new set whereas the screen cap from Cops looks a little poorer than how that short looked on the earlier Blu-ray.

rockysds

#2948 Post by rockysds » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:09 am

Blu-ray of Fritz Lang's The Spiders in August.

TMDaines

Kino

#2949 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:16 am

Hopefully MoC will eventually get around to this too as they'd do it with German intertitles. Still waiting for them to do the other early Langs though.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2950 Post by Drucker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 am

rockysds wrote:Blu-ray of Fritz Lang's The Spiders in August.
I still wonder what on earth they gained by not putting out the BD in the first place.