Synapse: Dario Argento Limited Editions

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
jojo

Re: Synapse Films

#26 Post by jojo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm pretty sure it was a deliberate sales ploy to drive the LE sales. A cheap tactic, but Synapse strikes me as a small company that is just that desperate enough to need to squeeze as much sales as they can out of every major release. I don't really blame them, but this kind of thing probably can drive away a few people who are put off by it.

I'd always found it a bit odd they need to go this route with Argento though. I mean, out of all their releases, you'd think Argento would be a big enough name for their target consumer that they wouldn't need to dangle a carrot on a stick to get enough people coming. I'm sure they've released far more obscure stuff that would justify a "Let's see how sales for the limited edition do first". Because Argento auto-selling shouldn't be in doubt.

dwk

#27 Post by dwk » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:22 pm

They paid a fortune for the Argento titles, and spent a lot of time and money trying to fix errors in the masters, so even if they are high profile, they likely aren't big earners.

I suspect that the alternate cuts of PHENOMENA will be exclusive to the steelbook, so that will be a must buy even when a cheaper regular case edition happens down the line.

dwk

#28 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:29 pm

Phenomena is close to getting announced (from Don May, Jr's Instagram)
donmayjr "Two discs (of the 3) are done. Steelbooks have been shipped to warehouse. Still finalizing the last disc, but we're VERY close to an announcement. Maybe 2-3 weeks from details."

mike_toscano "@donmayjr any chance it might be in time for Halloween? Ofcourse I love love your edition of Tenebre, Curtains, Prom Night, & Intruder"

donmayjr "I would love to have it out by Halloween. If not, it'll be very soon after."

dwk

#29 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:58 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:36 pm

After seeing that I'll likely recoup close to the cost of this far superior looking set by selling my Arrow edition on eBay, this was a no-brainer. Looks like a great set even at that price given the extras

EDIT And BOOM it sold within three hours of me posting this!

carmilla mircalla

#31 Post by carmilla mircalla » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:47 am

Has anyone viewed their Phenonmena blu ray yet? I cannot find any reviews

Adam X

#32 Post by Adam X » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:47 am

Not personally, but you should check their facebook page. They've posted links to a few reviews though not yet from the usual sources, no doubt due to not sending out any review copies.

Yakushima

#33 Post by Yakushima » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:21 am

re: carmilla mircalla
I got my copy of Phenomena and watched the longer edit of the film. It looks and sounds absolutely marvelous! I had it projected on a large screen and found definite improvement over Arrow's Blu-ray across the board - color, grain, film-like quality, consistency. I have not delved into the extras yet, so cannot speak of that aspect. This is the fourth time I bought this film on video and made the purchase somewhat reluctantly considering the price, but I am glad to say it was totally worth it and my impression is that Synapse's edition is going to stay definitive for a long time.

jsteffe

#34 Post by jsteffe » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 pm

I agree, the Synapse transfer of PHENOMENA looks terrific! If you are a fan of this film or Argento in general, don't hesitate.

onedimension

#35 Post by onedimension » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Anyone else have issues with Phenomena aspect ratio? I've got a new TV and player so I might have a settings problem, but the bottoms of the menus go past the border of my screen, and the actual image has the same problem. Sorry I'm rusty on my technical terms.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Sounds like your TV is overscanning

carmilla mircalla

#37 Post by carmilla mircalla » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Yakushima wrote:re: carmilla mircalla
I got my copy of Phenomena and watched the longer edit of the film. It looks and sounds absolutely marvelous! I had it projected on a large screen and found definite improvement over Arrow's Blu-ray across the board - color, grain, film-like quality, consistency. I have not delved into the extras yet, so cannot speak of that aspect. This is the fourth time I bought this film on video and made the purchase somewhat reluctantly considering the price, but I am glad to say it was totally worth it and my impression is that Synapse's edition is going to stay definitive for a long time.
I have been more than disappointed with Arrow's transfer so it's good hear about the grain. Thank god. I will make this a christmas present to myself.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#38 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Synapse has put so much time and energy (and no doubt money) into restoring Suspiria that they're looking into releasing in the new 4K Ultra HD format in addition to Blu-ray. This would make them the first boutique label to venture out into the format (and I imagine few will follow, but I was wrong about Blu-rays catching on so what do I know)

David M.

#39 Post by David M. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Not true - Shout Factory are in the UHD BD game:
http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/sh ... 201672379/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I stand corrected!

Adam X

#41 Post by Adam X » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:23 am

Morbii

#42 Post by Morbii » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 am

Those screen caps look amazing. Time to prep quintuple-dipping on that (or whatever I'm up to with Suspiria).

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#44 Post by FigrinDan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Synapse Films wrote:SUSPIRIA 4K DCP Restoration – Screening Schedule!
For those of you lucky enough to live in one of these areas, here is a list of theaters you can see a screening of Synapse Films 4K restoration. Hopefully, the blu ray release announcement is not too far behind.

dwk

#45 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:56 am

Suspiria pre-order is up at Synapse Films' site
Features

Limited edition of only 6000 units produced
Exclusive Steelbook packaging and collector's o-card sleeve, featuring artwork from Malleus, Van Orton Design, Juan José Saldarriaga & Chris MacGibbon
Three disc [Two Blu-rays + One CD] limited collector’s edition (only 6000 units) containing a new 4K restoration of the original uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative exclusively done by Synapse Films, with color correction supervised and approved by SUSPIRIA Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli
Original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96 Khz/24-bit audio
Italian 5.1 surround sound mix
Two audio commentaries by authors and Argento scholars, Derek Botelho, David Del Valle & Troy Howarth
Do You Know Anything About Witches? - 30 minute SUSPIRIA visual essay written, edited and narrated by Michael Mackenzie
Suzy in Nazi Germany – Featurette on the German locations from SUSPIRIA
A Sigh from the Depths: 40 Years of SUSPIRIA – All-new anniversary retrospective on the making of the film and its influence on cinema
Olga’s Story – Interview with star Barbara Magnolfi
Original theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots
Special Collector Edition Booklet containing an American Cinematographer interview with Luciano Tovoli, liner notes by Derek Botelho and restoration notes by Vincent Pereira & Don May, Jr. Cover artwork by Matthew Therrien Illustration
“International Classics” English “Breathing Letters” opening credit sequence from U.S. release version
Alternate All-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching
Newly translated, removable English SDH subtitles for the English language version
Newly translated, removable English subtitles for the Italian language version
Exclusive CD remaster of Goblin’s SUSPIRIA motion picture soundtrack, containing additional tracks not included on the original 1977 soundtrack release

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#46 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:34 am

Do we know anything about a standard edition becoming available later, and what might not be carried over from this limited edition?

dwk

#47 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:02 pm

I haven't seen anything about the standard version. The two Demons films dropped all the special features and the Italian audio, but the standard releases of Phenomena, Tenebre and the recently announced Popcorn are all identical to the Blu-rays in the steelbooks.

Morbii

#48 Post by Morbii » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:00 pm

They should have used the o-card for the cover art.

Complaints aside, fantastic news!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#49 Post by Drucker » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:27 pm

David Mackenzie confirmed on Facebook he will be encoding this.

Der Spieler

#50 Post by Der Spieler » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:46 pm

I love the movie but 70$CAD is a bit more than I'm willing to pay for a single movie. Let's hope they do a standard release down the road.