209 The Man Who Had Power Over Women

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

209 The Man Who Had Power Over Women

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:13 am

THE MAN WHO HAD POWER OVER WOMEN
(John Krish, 1969)
Release date: 22 January 2024

Website Exclusive Limited Edition Blu-ray (World premiere) - pre-order here

The dark side of Swinging London is explored in The Man Who Had Power Over Women, starring Rod Taylor (Zabriskie Point), Carol White (Cathy Come Home), James Booth (90° in the Shade), and Keith Barron (The Land That Time Forgot).

Womanising talent agent Peter Reaney (Taylor) splits from his long-suffering wife, moves in with his best friend Val (Booth), and promptly starts an affair with Val's wife Jody (White). Added to the complexities of his personal life is his client, wayward popstar Barry Black (Clive Francis), for whom he is asked to cover up a dark secret...

Directed by John Krish (Unearthly Stranger), this release includes extensive interview material with Krish, as well as newly restored versions of two of Krish’s acclaimed short films – Break-In (1956), and the powerful anti-apartheid drama-documentary Let My People Go (1961).

This limited edition is exclusive to the Powerhouse Films website and will not be available to purchase at any other physical retailer or website.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• 4K restoration
• Original mono audio
• The BEHP Interview with John Krish (1994–2004, 90 mins): archival audio recording of the celebrated director in a career-spanning conversation with Rodney Giesler, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project
A Bad Marriage (2023, 11 mins): screenwriter Allan Scott discusses the process of adapting The Man Who Had Power Over Women for the big screen with writing partner Chris Bryant, and the reasons for removing their names from the final film
Break-In (1956, 44 mins): Krish’s dramatised training film about the military police, made for the British Army and featuring Jim Dale in his earliest-known screen appearance
Let My People Go (1961, 23 mins): Krish’s powerful, polemical film which combines archival footage and staged reconstructions to inform and educate about the brutal realities of Apartheid in South Africa
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 40-page booklet with a new essay by Vic Pratt, archival interviews with Rod Taylor and John Krish, new writing on Break-In, Patrick Russell on Let My People Go, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition website exclusive of 3,000 copies

#PHILE209B
BBFC cert: 15
REGION A/B
EAN: 5060697920956

MichaelB

Re: 209 The Man Who Had Power Over Women

#2 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:54 am

Final specs announced:

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:02 am

Mondo Digital.
Despite the title indicating a typical British '70s sex farce or a sci-fi mind control film, The Man Who Had Power Over Women seems to lacing at least a moderate amount of irony into its depiction of two male friends grappling with work and sex while manipulating each other for good measure. A troubled production and definitely not the comedy it's usually classified as in movie guides, the film was originally going to be helmed by Silvio Narizzano (Georgy Girl), who left just before shooting to do Loot instead; the reins then fell to director John Krish, who had done Captured, several TV episodes and Children's Film Foundation productions but was most likely hired due to his 1968 counterculture satire, Decline and Fall... of a Birdwatcher. Both of these Krish films have appeared off and on via television broadcasts over the years, with video releases around for the really dedicated if they felt so inclined. The 2023 Indicator Blu-ray of The Man Who Had Power Over Women marks a first for the label as it's available only directly from the label and not via any other retailer; it's also an excellent crash course in the career of Krish, an interesting figure through several phases of British movie and TV production.

CSM126

#4 Post by CSM126 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:50 pm

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:50 am

It's a shame Gary almost certainly didn't watch the other John Krish films (his comments look suspiciously like cut'n'paste press-release material), as they're a major part of the package.

In fact, a useful "tell" as to whether or not someone's watched Let My People Go is whether they mention one of the twentieth century's great cult actors - who's not credited, but instantly recognisable when he pops up and dominates much of the mid-section, and there's no way a reviewer wouldn't bring this up in a proper review.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#6 Post by tenia » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:08 am

I, hum, guess I might need to look at those before writing my review (I honestly often don't have much time to spend on extra features - though of course I'll be disappointed if there aren't much - and many times simply offer the runtimes and a very general note of what it's about, though I do read every booklet's text).

ikms

#7 Post by ikms » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:44 am

tenia wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:08 am
(I honestly often don't have much time to spend on extra features - though of course I'll be disappointed if there aren't much
I wouldn't advise doing this for the short films, but I now find myself rather dependent upon VLC for other supplements. I use 2.0x+ playback to help with talking-head pieces and audio commentaries, or put them into my podcast app for content on the go, making it closer to the pace at which I (most people?) read.