Cohen Media Group: Jacques Rivette

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Oedipax

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#26 Post by Oedipax » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:15 pm

I don't think it's really such a terrible thing that he's talking about the menus/packaging/extras - after all, that's Criterion's end of it, and it's a list for Criterion. They don't make the movies. Not that I think all the Criterion lists should stick to that, or that it's desirable at all, but I think it's just Patton trying to show his love of Criterion's work in presenting the films.

kidc

#27 Post by kidc » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Is there any word as to whether Cohen's release will include the Divertimento cut as well?

effigy105

#28 Post by effigy105 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:23 pm

kidc wrote:Is there any word as to whether Cohen's release will include the Divertimento cut as well?
I was wondering the same thing. It seems absurd, less than a week from release, that Cohen have posted absolutely no details about their edition. Just earlier this week Amazon's product details listed it as a 2-disc edition, which was encouraging, but that's since changed to just one disc. Somewhere on Blu-Ray.com they mention the Divertimento cut is included but that seems to be based on nothing, and is possibly a clipping from an older release. I had this pre-ordered but now I think I'll wait and see what the UK market offers, if it's ever announced there.

Ribs

#29 Post by Ribs » Wed May 02, 2018 6:29 pm

effigy105

#30 Post by effigy105 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 am

Thank you for those details. I searched through Blu-Ray.com yesterday and didn't find that at all, just various generic editions relating to the Blu-Ray release. It might be an idea for Cohen to maybe add this sort of thing to their own site.

Anyway, a 4-hour audio commentary is an impressive undertaking, but without the Divertimento edit I'll hold out and hope the UK market can improve.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#31 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 03, 2018 4:11 pm

effigy105 wrote: Anyway, a 4-hour audio commentary is an impressive undertaking, but without the Divertimento edit I'll hold out and hope the UK market can improve.
Not an "edit"...

effigy105

#32 Post by effigy105 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Not an "edit"...
Indeed. All the more reason to hold out in hope for an edition that includes it.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#33 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 03, 2018 10:00 pm

No reason to assume such a set will ever be issued.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#34 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Thu May 03, 2018 11:31 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:No reason to assume such a set will ever be issued.
Indeed. I've heard nothing about a Divertimento restoration. Somebody mentioned the Japanese Blu Ray (maybe it was another thread or it has been edited out, idk) but I believe that is from several years ago and was before the CNC sponsored restoration.

I see no reason to hold out and have preordered the Cohen Blu for $21. That's a pretty good deal in my book.

Rupert Pupkin

#35 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 am

that was me but I deleted by mistake my post.
I have since several months the Japanese restored Blu-Ray (same restoration than the Cohen release). I'm very pleased with the HD details (just some "blue" light during some scenes were unsual to me- but we are far from the Eclair/Gaumont' greenish touch... it's still accurate from my memories from the theatrical release).
They've included some interesting bonus but also they put the DVD of "Divertimento".
The quality of the DVD is fair, but in comparison to the HD restoration which is stunning, it's difficult to watch it after "La Belle Noiseuse".

My guess is that they didn't restore "Divertimento" because it would have cost as much as restoring a whole other movie, since "Divertimento" is not a simple edit of "La Belle Noiseuse" but is a complete different cut using alternate angles; alternate takes during the whole movie. It's done in a very subtle way
Which makes it - obviously - very interesting.

The good thing is that the subtitles on the Japanese release are optional, whereas for the Cohen release I'm waiting for a review which will precise if they are optional(removable) or forced or ingrained.
Because sometimes it happened recently with Cohen (I guess that's a matter of (c) although in France they really don't care about releasing the Benoit Jacquot movies (La fille seule, la Désenchantée, which is such a shame!) : the subtitles on the great Cohen B.Jacquot box set were optional, whereas on the Chabrol box set (Torment aka L'Enfer, Betty...) they were forced. Which means, unless you use VLC or play it with your computer, you can't remove the subtitles.
Fortunately my stand-alone blu-ray player allow to move up or down the subtitles. Thus, I was able to move the subtitles "out of the screen". I guess these forced subtitles were a kind of punishment for wanting to see in high-res Emanuelle Béart in L'Enfer... :oops:
Of course, had the subtitles been ingrained like on Twilight Time releases (the Truffaut (Adele H, etc...) that would have been impossible to get ride of these...

furbicide

#36 Post by furbicide » Fri May 04, 2018 8:04 am

Dumb question, perhaps, but I'm presuming that release doesn't have English subtitles, right?

justeleblanc

#37 Post by justeleblanc » Fri May 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Didn't the initial Cohen/Rivette press releases from many years ago indicate that Divertimento was one of the titles that Cohen licensed? The fact that they didn't issue it onto Blu means that the materials are either in poor shape, or that they are planning to offer it in a future release, maybe as a special feature on their Gang of Four Blu ray. Perhaps they didn't want to expand this current release to three discs, as that would amount to a massive jump in SRP.

It wouldn't hurt to contact the company to find out what happened, if anyone has any good contacts.

Rupert Pupkin

#38 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri May 04, 2018 10:34 pm

as I was afraid because sometimes it happened with some Cohen releases (like the Chabrol box set for instance (but not the Benoit Jacquot box set) just read my post above); I've just read blu-ray.com review and there's forced subtitles on the movie (not on the Japanese movie (subtitles are optional) with the same restoration (I don't know if Cohen's encoding/authoring is better but to my eyes (some screenshots have been posted at blu-ray.com forum) it looks excellent). For a Blu-Ray which got a 5/5 for the picture quality for the Cohen release, the Japanese restored blu-ray couldn't be dramatically inferior since there are no signs on "messed up" : some slight grain, very argentic-film-like look, 1080p24 transfer... And the "color palette" (with the unexpected "blue tint" ) is exactly the same... - but most of the scenes during the painting have the same "color palette" than from what I remember to the theatrical release and/or the Arte DVD (which was the best release for this movie.
At least with this "color palette" and calibration we are sure that Emmanuelle Béart's eyes will be blue; and bluer ( :oops: ) than her Levis 501 (it doesn' t look like a levis 501 by the way...)... but apparently Michel Piccoli's shirt is now blue de chez bleu.

regarding the bonus; a lot of the bonus of the Japanese release seems to be the same than the Cohen releases since they feature a lot of Jacques Rivettes interviews and discussions.
"Divertimento" is on a DVD while the rest of the bonus are on the blu-ray.

I will check tonight if my Japanese blu-ray has some english subtitles (I don't think so but I will check just to be sure)

but if this is the same kind of forced subtitles, I was able to move the subtitles down and put these "outside the screen" for the Chabrol Cohen box set... But you need to have a stand-alone blu-ray player which allow you to move the subtitles. But you can't get ride of these subtitles by just going back in the settings of your blu-ray player. They are really forced.
No need to say that at the beginning of "Torment" aka L'Enfer I was as ](*,) to discover these forced subtitles that I was enchanted by the HD details and picture quality of this blu-ray.
I think that region locking A the Cohen release is enough if the reason is for (c) issue (no "exportation"). There's no need to force the subtitles. There has been some rip of L'enfer without the forced subtitle as soon as the Cohen box set was released...
The strange thing is that I have their first Chabrol release ('Merci pour le chocolat" which doesn't have forced subtitles; and both have the MK2 logo...)

I hope that Criterion will never do that : I remove their English subtitles for every English movies, or spanish or italian...
And when a movie is in 1:33 or scope, I like to move the subtitles lower than they are "by default"...
Last edited by Rupert Pupkin on Fri May 04, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pzadvance

#39 Post by pzadvance » Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 pm

Telstar

Re: Cohen: La belle noiseuse

#40 Post by Telstar » Sat May 05, 2018 11:57 am

I know listening to the commentary track would have taken up another four hours of the reviewer's life, but would it have killed the guy to go that extra mile?

effigy105

#41 Post by effigy105 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:02 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:No reason to assume such a set will ever be issued.
Absolutely, but in my personal circumstance, there's also no rush not to see what might appear on other markets. My issue with Cohen is not the quality of their releases, but their poor communication. Although I must admit, starting a disc off with trailers is a bugbear of mine. Somewhere along the line I'd got it in mind that Divertimento had been restored. My mistake. Nonetheless, even an SD rendering provided alongside would be appreciated as I currently own physical copies of neither. It might happen. It probably won't. I'll wait.

Adam X

#42 Post by Adam X » Sun May 06, 2018 1:53 am

Telstar wrote:I know listening to the commentary track would have taken up another four hours of the reviewer's life, but would it have killed the guy to go that extra mile?
What do you mean? He discusses elements of the commentary in the main body of the review. BD.com reviews rarely give opinions on the extras in their respective section beyond a rating. They're more concerned with the film's AV.

Telstar

#43 Post by Telstar » Sun May 06, 2018 8:02 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Telstar wrote:I know listening to the commentary track would have taken up another four hours of the reviewer's life, but would it have killed the guy to go that extra mile?
What do you mean? He discusses elements of the commentary in the main body of the review. BD.com reviews rarely give opinions on the extras in their respective section beyond a rating. They're more concerned with the film's AV.
Thanks for pointing that out, and sorry for leaping before looking. Not sure how I managed to miss that, but I must have simply skipped to the extras section for comments on the commentary

Adam X

#44 Post by Adam X » Sun May 06, 2018 8:43 am

No apology necessary, that site rarely bothers to discuss the extras in reviews. It’s surprising that much space was given over to it. Unless that’s often the approach and I’ve been missing it all these years too :-k ...

Petty Bourgeoisie

#45 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 pm

Slant magazine on the Cohen release:

https://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/revie ... e-noiseuse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody get their copy from Amazon yet? Mine hasn't even shipped yet.

pzadvance

#46 Post by pzadvance » Thu May 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Mine came on Tuesday from Amazon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petty Bourgeoisie

#47 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Ugg, I always choose free shipping and then regret it later. #-o

Peter McM

#48 Post by Peter McM » Fri May 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Tech glitch: At the 2:13:00 mark, as Marianne is settling onto the couch--the boom mic sneaks into the bottom of the frame.
Petty Bourgeoisie wrote:Ugg, I always choose free shipping and then regret it later. #-o
I ordered Faces, Places at the same time I ordered this, and chose free shipping. Amazon waited to ship them together--but they did arrive on Tuesday.

hearthesilence

#49 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Hah, I think I remember seeing that boom mic when MoMI screened the 35mm print! In one particular extended shot, I recall catching the boom and then watching to see when and where the boom shadow would come into view for the remainder of the shot. (I think it may have been a Steadicam or handheld shot simply for the movement - it didn't travel far, it was just very mobile.)

Rupert Pupkin

#50 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat May 12, 2018 11:29 pm

I thought that the English subtitles were forced on the movie according to the blu-ray.com review. Whereas - (or is it me?) - it seems according to the review which just came out at dvdbeaver that the subtitles are not forced on the "main feature"...
so...?

for those who received their Cohen Blu-Ray of "La Belle Noiseuse"... forced subtitles or optional ?