Anchor Bay Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Bloody Benten

Re: Anchor Bay Entertainment

#151 Post by Bloody Benten » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Is there any chance this set will be released R1 anytime later this year or next? either way it looks GREAT!

Camera Obscura

#152 Post by Camera Obscura » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:19 am

I have never seen a Coffin Joe film, mainly because most earlier editions were OOP. But this set looks great, very tempting to take the plunge.

kidc85

#153 Post by kidc85 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:32 pm

foggy eyes wrote:
vogler wrote:This might interest a few people here.

The Coffin Joe Collection
Oooh, yes it does - thanks for posting. I've been curious about Mojica Marins for a while (Guy Maddin's essay on him in the Exile Cinema collection is a hoot), and this means I can rent them...
Marins' cinema is an acquired taste certainly as his approach is frankly unhinged, he creates this wild mythology and then appears to begin believing it, attaching to it this air of profoundity which is ridiculously out of place. You can either dismiss this completely or take it as part of the inherent madness in his films and something to be enjoyed for its unique, occasionally terrifying insanity. I'm firmly in the later camp and I'd suggest This Night I Will Possess Your Corpse is probably the best place to start.

Is Guy Maddin's essay online anywhere?

tojoed

#154 Post by tojoed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Details of the 2-disc BluRay of Withnail and I

Disc One
Digitally remastered widescreen presentation feature
Audio commentary by writer-director Bruce Robinson
Audio commentary by actors Paul McGann and Ralph Brown
Stereo 2.0 and option 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound and DTS

Dist Two
Brand new interview with writer-director Bruce Robinson
"Postcards From Penrith" featurette
"Withnail and Us" – 1999 documentary on "Withnail and I"
Drinking game
Behind the scenes stills by Ralph Steadman
Swear-a-thon
Original Theatrical Trailer

foggy eyes

#155 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:04 pm

kidc85 wrote:Is Guy Maddin's essay online anywhere?
Only a limited preview, I'm afraid. Christoph Huber's recent piece/interview in Cinema Scope is online, though: "The Man, The Myth, Mojica".

Telstar

#156 Post by Telstar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:33 pm

foggy eyes wrote:
kidc85 wrote:Is Guy Maddin's essay online anywhere?
Only a limited preview, I'm afraid. Christoph Huber's recent piece/interview in Cinema Scope is online, though: "The Man, The Myth, Mojica".
How is the EXILE CINEMA book? I've been wavering about picking it up...

foggy eyes

#157 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Telstar wrote:How is the EXILE CINEMA book? I've been wavering about picking it up...
It's patchy, but very worthwhile. Quite a few of the essays are merely exuberant journalistic criticism rather than instructive analysis, but it's especially valuable for containing the only English language essay dedicated solely to Sharunas Bartas (although I'd love it if someone could prove me wrong on this) and an awesome piece by George Toles on Martin Arnold. Some very good stuff on Ken Jacobs, Akerman, Tarr & Hellman too.

blindside8zao

#158 Post by blindside8zao » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Does anyone know if the Coffin Joe set will be released in the US? Is it a general trend with AB to release stateside and in the UK or does it depend case by case on the DVD distribution rights for each country?

Perkins Cobb

#159 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:27 pm

blindside8zao wrote:Does anyone know if the Coffin Joe set will be released in the US? Is it a general trend with AB to release stateside and in the UK or does it depend case by case on the DVD distribution rights for each country?
The general rule is, if it sucks, Anchor Bay will release it in the US. If not, it's going to be UK only.

HarryLong

#160 Post by HarryLong » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:02 pm

if it sucks, Anchor Bay will release it in the US
Ah, then we'll be getting AT MIDNIGHT I'LL REPOSSESS YOUR CAR and its companions here in the US ...

Props55

#161 Post by Props55 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks for the chuckle, Harry! I needed it after the day I've been through. Was it on the Scarlet Street boards that the Coffin Joe series was skewered by some poster (you?) like so . . .

AT ONE A.M. I WILL SOAP YOUR WINDOWS
AT TWO A.M. I WILL T.P. YOUR YARD
AT THREE A.M. I WILL URINATE IN YOUR GAS TANK
AT FOUR A.M. I WILL BURN A PAPER BAG OF DOGSHIT ON YOUR FRONT PORCH

Anyway...

Gregory

#162 Post by Gregory » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:08 pm

Does anyone have a customer service email for Anchor Bay UK? I tried submitting a message via this form but got a "not found" error.

tojoed

#163 Post by tojoed » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:30 am

Gregory wrote:Does anyone have a customer service email for Anchor Bay UK? I tried submitting a message via this form but got a "not found" error.
I think you need this website where you can contact them or report a faulty disc.

Gregory

#164 Post by Gregory » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:54 am

I didn't think it would make sense to contact Anchor Bay in the US about a problem with a R2 DVD, but I guess I will try it. It might be a way to obtain the customer service contact at least.

HarryLong

#165 Post by HarryLong » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:35 am

Was it on the Scarlet Street boards that the Coffin Joe series was skewered by some poster (you?) like so . . .

AT ONE A.M. I WILL SOAP YOUR WINDOWS
No, those weren't mine. Durnit! (I don't even recall that post.)
I think I have posted there that I just find the films incredibly lame ... and boring.

ianungstad

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#166 Post by ianungstad » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Apparently Starz wants out of the film distribution business and is courting bids for Anchor Bay. They've been letting the rights to the older catalog titles lapse. It also seems unlikely they'll reprint most titles when current inventory runs out. Will be interesting to see who buys Anchor Bay. Current news articles state that they are trying to sell Anchor Bay, Overture Films, Film Roman and Starz Animation as a package but will break the company into smaller pieces and sell them off by divisions if they can't find a suitable buyer for the lot.

These are dark days indeed. Since Image has taken care of their debt problems and are flush with cash (at the expense of their sharehodlers, ouch) maybe they'll put in a bid for Anchor Bay.

Actually..it would be nice if the Miramax folks signed with Image and let Criterion handle the special editions. (Hey, I can dream!)

Perkins Cobb

#167 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:45 am

ianungstad wrote:Apparently Starz wants out of the film distribution business and is courting bids for Anchor Bay. They've been letting the rights to the older catalog titles lapse.
Thanks for the tip, but is there much of anything still in print that's worth having? Anchor Bay sold its soul to unreleasable horror movies and '80s Stephen J. Cannell shows long ago.

MyNameCriterionForum

#168 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:58 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:
ianungstad wrote:Apparently Starz wants out of the film distribution business and is courting bids for Anchor Bay. They've been letting the rights to the older catalog titles lapse.
Thanks for the tip, but is there much of anything still in print that's worth having?

Personally, though, I'm waiting for Criterion to pick these up.

dwk

#169 Post by dwk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:38 am

Anchor Bay lost a lot of great titles when the their deals with StudioCanal and Bill Lustig expired. I think they still have the rights to the following (what is worth owning is up to you):
Halloween, Halloween 4, and Halloween 5
Evil Dead (Blu-Ray is due in August) and Evil Dead 2 (the DVD from 2000 is still the best home video version)
Phantasm, Phantasm 3, and Phantasm 4
Hellraiser and Hellraiser 2
Demons and Demons 2
House and House 2
Re-Animator
The Hills Have Eyes
The Herzog/Kinski Collection Box Set - Aguirre, the Wrath of God; Nosferatu, Phantom Der Nacht; Woyzeck; Fitzcarraldo; Cobra Verde and My Best Fiend
The Werner Herzog Collection Box Set - The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fata Morgana, Lessons of Darkness, Heart of Glass, Strozsek, and Little Dieter Need to Fly
The Films of Alejandro Jodorowsky Box Set- Fando y Lis, El Topo, The Holy Mountain, and Soundtrack CDs for El Topo and The Holy Mountain

George Romero titles:
Season of the Witch/ There's Always Vanilla
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead

Dario Argento titles:
Trauma (passable DVD, but the transfer is interlaced)
Do You Like Hitchcock? (I think this is the only English friendly version)
The Card Player (passable DVD, but the transfer is interlaced)
Tenebre (skip this and wait for Arrow's upcoming release)
Phenomena (skip this and wait for Arrow's upcoming release)

Mario Bava titles:
Erik the Conqueror
Mario Bava Box Set Volume 1 - Black Sunday, Black Sabbath, The Girl Who Knew Too Much, Knives of the Avenger, and Kill Baby Kill
Mario Bava Box Set Volume 2 -Lisa & The Devil/House of Exorcism, Bay of Blood, Baron Blood, Kidnapped, Roy Colt and Winchester Jack, 5 Dolls for an August Moon and 4 Times That Night

Matt

#170 Post by Matt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:09 am

But how much of that does Anchor Bay actually own? Very little, if any, I think.

TonyleStephanois

#171 Post by TonyleStephanois » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 am

dwk wrote: Demons and Demons 2
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
The Card Player (passable DVD, but the transfer is interlaced)
Tenebre (skip this and wait for Arrow's upcoming release)
Phenomena (skip this and wait for Arrow's upcoming release)
Bay of Blood
Arrow Video will also release all of the above in addition to your notes, dwk. Dawn & Day have been released on blu and DVD versions will be released 30th August. The Card Player has already been released on the Arrow Video label.

dwk

#172 Post by dwk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:14 pm

I think you are right, Anchor Bay owns very little, The Masters of Horror series and maybe the post-Corman New World catalog. I think they may have produced a few films, but nothing of any real value.

It'll be interesting to see if they, like Miramax, lose the rights to a large number of films before they are sold.

ianungstad

#173 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:12 pm

The discs being reissued by Liongate are studio canal properties that were formerly at Anchor Bay. They got hit just as bad as Criterion. Lionsgate has also put out their own versions of the Ealing films, Wicker Man, etc.

manicsounds

#175 Post by manicsounds » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:12 am

I'm very sure that Toei made 1 and 2 a package deal, and Anchor Bay had no choice but to buy it to get the rights for BR1.

And if you thought there were enough releases of BR 1 and BR 2 around the world on DVD.... Now Anchor Bay will try and double those numbers issued!