Anchor Bay Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Cronenfly

#126 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:47 pm

the dancing kid wrote:
Cronenfly wrote:Yet another new edition of Evil Dead, this time 3 discs worth, on December 18th. Full specs here.
This copy has the full-frame version on the second disc, which hasn't been included in any of the other editions that I know of. The widescreen version cuts out the best joke of the movie:
SpoilerShow
A box of band-aids floating in a pool of blood.
Not that I want to encourage Anchor Bay at all, but it's nice to see them releasing the film in its original form after so many years.
The full-frame version was the one used for the Elite disc way back when, and Anchor Bay was smart to include it. It just sucks big time that they waited this long to drop the truly definitive (SD) edition on us.

Fletch F. Fletch

#127 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:48 am

From Digital Bits:
Meanwhile, Anchor Bay has announced The Dario Argento Box Set for release on DVD on 5/27 (SRP $49.97). Included will be a Tenebre: Special Edition, a Phenomena: Special Edition, Trauma, The Card Player and Do You Like Hitchcock?, along with audio commentaries, behind-the-scenes featurettes, trailers and other special features.

Solaris

#128 Post by Solaris » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:32 am

Phenomena and Tenebrae will also be available seperately in "steelbook" editions.
will both be presented in new 16x9 enhanced widescreen transfers (1.85:1 and 1.66:1 respectively) with Dolby 5.1 Surround soundtracks.

extras for Tenebre:
• audio commentary by argento, composer claudio simonetti and journalist loris curci
• new voices of the unsane retrospective featurette
• the roving camera eye of dario argento featurette
• creating sounds of terror featurette
• alternate end credit music
• argento bio
• trailer

Phenomena:
• audio commentary by argento, sfx creator sergio stivaletti, simonetti and curci
• new a dark fairy tale retrospective featurette
• luigi cozzi & the art of macrophotography featurette
• argento on thr joe franklin show
• simonetti jennifer music video
• bill wyman valley music video
• argento bio
• trailer
I hope these are new transfers with the longer "intergral" cut of Phenomena. Also, an Italian track with English subs on both releases will be most welcome.

Fletch F. Fletch

#129 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:03 am

From Digital Bits:
Anchor Bay Entertainment has set Girls Just Want to Have Fun for DVD release on 4/29, with Abominable (the Sci-Fi Channel movie, complete with unrated footage) following on 5/1. They also have an Incredible Hulk Double Feature due for release on DVD on 5/13 (SRP $9.98), including the TV movies The Incredible Hulk Returns and The Trial of the Incredible Hulk.

Fletch F. Fletch

#130 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:24 am

Solaris wrote:Phenomena and Tenebrae will also be available seperately in "steelbook" editions ...

I hope these are new transfers with the longer "intergral" cut of Phenomena. Also, an Italian track with English subs on both releases will be most welcome.
Artwork for the Argento box set.

Artwork for Phenomena

Artwork for Tenebrae

patrick

#131 Post by patrick » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:25 pm

The packaging on the Argento set is interesting - it appears to be some sort of multi-disc Steelbook, which I suppose is possible. Hopefully the discs won't be crammed together (either with more than one movie on a disc or as flipper discs), but I can't see the fiscal sense in doing that when they're all available separately.

However, the big question is whether Phenomena and Tenebre will be released on Blu-Ray. I'm still a little mystified as to how and why Anchor Bay retained the rights to those two but lost Suspiria and pretty much all the other classic Argento films.

Fletch F. Fletch

#132 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri May 02, 2008 9:29 am

From The Digital Bits:
We'll start with Anchor Bay (Starz), which has set a Heathers: 20th High School Reunion Edition for release on DVD on 7/1 (SRP $19.97). The 2-disc set will include anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary with director Michael Lehmann, producer Denise Di Novi and writer Daniel Waters, 2 documentaries (Return to Westerburg High and Swatch Dogs and Diet Coke Heads), the film's theatrical trailer and a screenplay excerpt featuring the film's original ending (via DVD-ROM).

Also coming on 7/1 from The Bay is an animated Hellboy: Limited Edition 2-Pack (SRP $34.97), which includes both Hellboy: Sword of Storms and Hellboy: Blood & Iron, along with a 7-inch figure of Hellboy smoking a cigar and wielding a sword from Gentle Giant Studios.

Cronenfly

#133 Post by Cronenfly » Fri May 02, 2008 3:33 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:From The Digital Bits:
We'll start with Anchor Bay (Starz), which has set a Heathers: 20th High School Reunion Edition for release on DVD on 7/1 (SRP $19.97). The 2-disc set will include anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary with director Michael Lehmann, producer Denise Di Novi and writer Daniel Waters, 2 documentaries (Return to Westerburg High and Swatch Dogs and Diet Coke Heads), the film's theatrical trailer and a screenplay excerpt featuring the film's original ending (via DVD-ROM).
Another useless re-release from Anchor Bay? Thank God Starz didn't nix AB's endless cannibalization of the same few catalogue titles. I wouldn't mind so much with Heathers, but they've only added one new doc (though I suppose that it could be substantial). If they could've gotten Jack Nicholson in to overdub Slater on an alternate audio track this might have been worth it, but no dice.
Last edited by Cronenfly on Fri May 02, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#134 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 02, 2008 4:03 pm

At least they spared us from Heathers: I Love My Dead Gay Son Edition

Fletch F. Fletch

#135 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri May 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Cronenfly wrote:Another useless re-release from Anchor Bay? Thank God Starz didn't nix AB's endless cannibalization of the same few catalogue titles.
I eagerly await their next crack at a special edition of The Evil Dead... either that or Army of Darkness. Take your pick.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#136 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 02, 2008 4:27 pm

Cronenfly

#137 Post by Cronenfly » Fri May 02, 2008 4:36 pm

domino harvey wrote:At least they spared us from Heathers: I Love My Dead Gay Son Edition
I would buy it if it was the Not Just A Spoke in my Menstrual Cycle edition.

Fletch F. Fletch

#138 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:13 am

Oh boy, yet ANOTHER DVD release of Halloween:
Anchor Bay has revealed early details on Halloween: The 30th Anniversary Commemorative Set. The 6-disc package will include the original 1978 film, the extended edition which has been out of print for several years, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers, a Halloween 25 Years of Terror documentary with cast and crew, and a bonus Blu-ray release of Halloween. On top of all that, the collectible set will include a replica of the Michael Myers mask. Retail will be $89.97.
Artwork

dx23

#139 Post by dx23 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:36 pm

and another release of Heathers:

Fletch F. Fletch

#140 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:49 am

Heathers: Packaging & Specs:
Anchor Bay Entertainment will be releasing Heathers on BD and Heathers: Limited Edition Locker Set on BD/DVD for 18th November. Starring Winona Ryder, Christian Slater and Shannen Doherty, both the DVDs and the BD will feature: a 'Return to Westerburg High' featurette, a 'Swatch Dogs & Diet Coke Heads' featurette, a trailer and a feature length commentary with director Michael Lehmann, producer Denise Di Novi and writer Daniel Waters. The BD also offers a 'Fast Film Facts' feature and presents this 'R' rated 103-minute long film in 1080p with Dolby TrueHD 5.1.

The Limited Edition Locker Set contains: a numbered locker, a 20-page hardcover Heathers yearbook, an 'awesome' T-shirt, 14 locker/fridge magnets, a collectable Westerburg algebra book, the BD and two DVDs. Those DVDs will present the film in an anamorphic 1.85:1 transfer with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and contain the features highlighted above in addition to an original ending screenplay excerpt accessible from DVD-ROM.

Poncho Punch

#141 Post by Poncho Punch » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:02 pm

My copy of the two-disc The Stunt Man has an additional copy of the first disc and not the making of doc that should have been the second disc - a fact I only noticed recently as I hadn't bothered to watch the doc before now. I've emailed them and they replied that since it was a title they no longer have the rights to (and have no spare copies laying about), they can't replace it for me. They did, however, say "Perhaps we can send you something else." Before I reply and ask for something in exchange, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem in the past, and what a reasonable request might be. I can't seem to find the MSRP for the set I have, but I would imagine it was about $30.

tojoed

#142 Post by tojoed » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:36 pm

Why not ask for this? They might have some copies and it's essentially what you're missing. Should solve the problem.

Poncho Punch

#143 Post by Poncho Punch » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:13 pm

They don't have the rights to either The Stunt Man or The Sinister Saga..., if they did I'd be happy to ask just for that. I guess mostly I'm curious if anyone has had a similar problem with an OOP title and what they might have asked for as a remedy - a set similar to the one they originally purchased (2-disc set or something worth approx. $30(?)), a single disc release since that's all that was missing (I'm guessing The Sinister Saga... standalone release was in the $15-20 range), or a disc of similar value to the difference in MSRP between the 1-and 2-disc editions of the film (probably about $10, I would guess)

vogler

Re: Anchor Bay Entertainment

#144 Post by vogler » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:11 pm

This might interest a few people here.

The Coffin Joe Collection

The box set will contain:

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1964)
This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse (1967)
The Strange World of Coffin Joe (1968)
Awakening of the Beast (1970)
End of Man (1971)
Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures (1976)
Hellish Flesh (1977)
Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind (1978)
The Strange World of Mojica Marins (2001)

Anchor Bay will also be releasing the new Coffin Joe film Embodiment Of Evil on DVD and Blu-ray.

No word yet on what the BBFC will make of all this.

foggy eyes

#145 Post by foggy eyes » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:08 am

vogler wrote:This might interest a few people here.

The Coffin Joe Collection
Oooh, yes it does - thanks for posting. I've been curious about Mojica Marins for a while (Guy Maddin's essay on him in the Exile Cinema collection is a hoot), and this means I can rent them...

HarryLong

#146 Post by HarryLong » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:53 am

Just a word of friendly warning: everything that's been written about the Coffin Joe films is ten times ,more interesting than actually watching the damned things.

vogler

#147 Post by vogler » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:07 am

I'd have to disagree with that. I think the Coffin Joe films are absolutely wonderful. It's amazing what Marins managed to create on such ridiculously low budgets. They can be rather silly at times, but there's also a lot of dark gothic atmosphere in the early films and some outlandishly bizarre imagery in the later ones. I haven't seen all of these so I'm really looking forward to the box set. This will probably appeal to fans of the Casa Negra releases, but they probably know that already.

HarryLong

#148 Post by HarryLong » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:33 am

Sorry, but I think they're utter shit. And they'd still be garbage if Marins had huge sums of money at his disposal.
It isn't a question of money, it's a question of scripts that are sadistic and mysoginistic and contain ludicrous monologues delivered by Maris as he throws himself around the set displaying Acting Genius.
Blech.

vogler

#149 Post by vogler » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:35 pm

HarryLong wrote:Sorry, but I think they're utter shit.
No need to apologise for your opinion Harry. I don't expect you to agree with me. I rather like a lot of low budget horror and exploitation films. I'm also very difficult to offend, so I don't have any moral problems with any of the Marins films I've seen. I haven't seen Embodiment of Evil though, and from what I've read it sounds like that one might go a little too far into the modern extreme horror style - not my thing at all. I suppose you can apply the "sadistic and mysoginistic" criticism to all kinds of cult/horror/exploitation films if you want to, but personally I've never felt the need.

HarryLong

#150 Post by HarryLong » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Oh, I like a lot of low-budget horror myself ... you don't think I stumbled on the Marins films by accident, do you?
And I wasn't offended by the films (or the anti-church rants, if that's what you're referring to). Just appalled by their incoherence and pointlessness.
I found them silly and a waste of my time.
There is something kinda creepy about the strangely decorated house Coffin Joe lives in in his first film. I can't identify it, but it gave me the same unsettled feeling as the undertaker's basement in Dwain Esper's MANIAC (& I later found out that scene real was shot in an undertaker's basement).
But I have to salute AB for doing their part for getting foreign horror out to the public. Their BLIND DEAD set was a service to mankind.
:D