Anchor Bay Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
ambrose1am

#1 Post by ambrose1am » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:34 pm

Can anyone tell me about the differences between the three Anchor Bay DVD releases of THE BEYOND. There's the one in the Volume 1 boxed set, the OOP tin, and the single release. How do the transfers compare? Extras? What are the differences?

Thx,

--ambrose1am

DrewReiber

#2 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:58 pm

ambrose1am wrote:Can anyone tell me about the differences between the three Anchor Bay DVD releases of THE BEYOND. There's the one in the Volume 1 boxed set, the OOP tin, and the single release. How do the transfers compare? Extras? What are the differences?
There are none that I'm aware of (in terms of transfer), other than the volume release comes with another Fulci film and the tin comes with the casing and some poster cards and such. It is a good transfer, though.

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:04 am

ambrose1am wrote:Can anyone tell me about the differences between the three Anchor Bay DVD releases of THE BEYOND. There's the one in the Volume 1 boxed set, the OOP tin, and the single release.
I got the tin and then the Volume 1 set later (it was on a special offer and I wanted House By The Cemetery). The only difference is the tin has the disc in a CD case inside it and as well as the card with the poster on one side and chapter listings on the other, has a 64 page booklet (not sure exact page numbers) with a couple of essays and a lot of photographs (similar to that in the Hellraiser tin). I wouldn't say it was worth going for the tin if you've already got the Volume 1, everything else is the same.

No sure about the single release, but I'd guess its just the same as that in the Volume 1 Fulci set.

igor s.

#4 Post by igor s. » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:56 am

davisdvd wrote:Just announced from Anchor Bay are a number of new titles due on February 22nd. Look for Butch and Sundance: The Early Days, By Bye Love, Chevy Chase in Modern Problems, Matthew Broderick in Project X and everyone's favorite Zorro the Gay Blade. All come with anamorphic transfers and theatrical trailers (By Bye Love, Modern Problems and Project X also include TV spots). Retail is $14.98 each. Also due on the same day is a special edition re-release of the superhero flick The Specials. This one includes two audio commentary tracks (with director Craig Mazin, writer James Gunn, producer Mark Altman and visual effects supervisor Mojo, another with Gunn and Paget Brewster), deleted scenes, a wedding video, behind-the-scenes photos, toy commercial and a trailer. Retail is $19.98.
best,

-igor s.

Martha

#5 Post by Martha » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:05 am

My level of excitement about Zorro The Gay Blade is terrifying. What is wrong with me? Somehow, George Hamilton wormed his tan way into my heart when I was too young to resist him.

Poncho Punch

#6 Post by Poncho Punch » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:08 pm

I guess I'll be the only one here rushing to the stores February 22nd to get my hands on Project X.

Ashirg

#7 Post by Ashirg » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:40 pm

in March we will see:

3/8 - 21 Jump Street: Season 2, 29th Street, Dutch, Everybody's Doing It, Rhinestone, Vanishing Point, Xena: Warrior Princess: Season #6

3/22 - Ealing War Collection (The Cruel Sea, The Dam Busters, Went the Day Well?, The Colditz Story, The Ship That Died of Shame, Against the Wind), Mickey(2004), Pirate Movie, Silk Stalkings: Season 2, Without A Trace

manicsounds

#8 Post by manicsounds » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:34 pm

Vanishing Point?
Where did you get that info?
The current Fox disc is great, why is AB releasing a new one?
(Or is it another movie with the same title?)

Ashirg

#9 Post by Ashirg » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:32 am

I think it's 1997 remake with Viggo Mortensen, but there's no more info about which film it is.

Martha

#10 Post by Martha » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:28 am

matt wrote:I used to watch the hell out of that movie on Showtime back in the day. In fact, I'm going to blame it for making me gay.
That's maybe the greatest thing I've ever heard. I'm sure that George Hamilton will soon be hearing from Tom DeLay.

Theodore R. Stockton

#11 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:50 am

You just can't beat a movie for ten bucks that has a guy in a bear (dog...whatever) suit riding a real horse in wide-shots; even if it might turn me gay.

bcsparker

#12 Post by bcsparker » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:04 pm

Speaking of the Tan Man, I wish Anchor Bay would release LOVE AT FIRST BITE. That was a childhood favorite of mine.

"I do not drink wine, and I do not smoke shit...."
Last edited by bcsparker on Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#13 Post by Buttery Jeb » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:04 am

According to their Futures page, Anchor Bay is putting out a box set of the complete "Profit" series next summer. If you never had a chance to watch the one or two episodes that Fox showed before yanking it, think "American Psycho: The Series." Wonderful disturbing fun.

-BJ

solent

#14 Post by solent » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:03 pm

Amazon has the WIM WENDERS COLLECTION 2 [8 discs] as a pre-order - with no details - for July 26.

godardslave

#15 Post by godardslave » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:06 am

solent wrote:Amazon has the WIM WENDERS COLLECTION 2 [8 discs] as a pre-order - with no details - for July 26.
8 discs! nice.
wonder what they could be?

Chances are it will include wings of desire which i just spent $20 on. #-o

leo goldsmith

#16 Post by leo goldsmith » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:35 am

Probably not. Wings is already available through MGM anyway. Hopefully, they're finally putting out DVDs of Wenders's early, hard-to-find German films (his most (or only) consistent period). In any case, if there's no Kings of the Road in this pile, I'll be steamed.

swingo

#17 Post by swingo » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:21 am

Yes, Most probably his film school thesis, Goalie`s Anxiety, Alice in der städten (!!!!!!). Im Lauf Der Zeit, Falsche Bewegung, Lightning Over Water, Der Stade Der Dinge, Chambre 666...

Axel.

DrewReiber

#18 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:03 pm

swingo wrote:Yes, Most probably his film school thesis, Goalie`s Anxiety, Alice in der städten (!!!!!!). Im Lauf Der Zeit, Falsche Bewegung, Lightning Over Water, Der Stade Der Dinge, Chambre 666...
Lightning Over Water is in Collection One

solent

#19 Post by solent » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:11 pm

If it really is to be an 8-disc collection and the rights to all Wender's early films are owned by Anchor then - according to the WW site - a probable list could be: [disc 1] Early shorts (6 films from 1967-9), [2] SUMMER IN THE CITY, [3] GOALKEEPER, [4] SCARLET LETTER, [5] ALICE IN THE CITIES, [6] THE ISLAND (TV), [7] WRONG MOVE & [8] KINGS OF THE ROAD. This is pure speculation (and wishful thinking) on my part but it is logical n'est pa?

swingo

#20 Post by swingo » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:13 pm

solent wrote:If it really is to be an 8-disc collection and the rights to all Wender's early films are owned by Anchor then - according to the WW site - a probable list could be: [disc 1] Early shorts (6 films from 1967-9), [2] SUMMER IN THE CITY, [3] GOALKEEPER, [4] SCARLET LETTER, [5] ALICE IN THE CITIES, [6] THE ISLAND (TV), [7] WRONG MOVE & [8] KINGS OF THE ROAD. This is pure speculation (and wishful thinking) on my part but it is logical n'est pa?
Yes, it sound reasonable to me... although I wouldn't like to see scarlet letter released is so god damn awful...

Axel.

DrewReiber

#21 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:30 pm

Unless of course they finally secured the rights to the full version of Until the End of the World, which would account for 3 of those discs or more.

THX1378

#22 Post by THX1378 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:41 pm

Fangoria posted today what they called a big dvd update for the bay. Most of the stuff listed was street date for dvds that were on the way. But there was some interested stuff that they did talk about. First they talked about that the Bay had got the rights to a ton of Mario Bava films. Most of these have been out on dvd before, but there going to go back and redo them as special editions. One that they talked about was Kidnapped, which came out over here as Rabid Dogs with some new scenes that were added. The Bay said that both versions would be out on the new dvd. Also their going to work on new Divimax dvds of Evil Dead 2, Halloween 4 & 5, both of which will have new special features. They picked up the rights to a French horror film called Baby Blood, the film Horror 101, the sequel Horror 102, and Museum of the Dead.
Heres the link for more info about the street dates:
http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=3638

DrewReiber

#23 Post by DrewReiber » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:18 am

THX1378 wrote:First they talked about that the Bay had got the rights to a ton of Mario Bava films. Most of these have been out on dvd before, but there going to go back and redo them as special editions. One that they talked about was Kidnapped, which came out over here as Rabid Dogs with some new scenes that were added.
This is VERY BIG news, btw. The owner of the Bava library had been pulling away from the deals on the table with Image over titles like Kill, Baby, Kill some time ago. People believed it was over the desire to make more money as the rights holder had finally figured out how big of a potential market there was for Bava's films. Shortly thereafter, it was announced that this person was planning to get 13 of those films remade and was looking for financers (all announced in Variety/Hollywood Reporter).

Now that this news has turned up, it seems apparant to me that this deal is part of an overall initiative to squeeze more dollars out of the library and a major step was getting a better DVD label to pay the dough for the rights and prepare better made and marketed editions.

And it also looks like they have yet to lock down the special features on the last batch of unreleased George Romero films. The only supplement they have talked about doing so far was a one hour documentary (which is obviously the Romero episode of "The Directors"), so it's reasonable to assume that they haven't found a window in the director's schedule yet for the purpose of producing original material. I'm very excited though, as I haven't seen There's Always Vanilla and Season of the Witch is a great idea (though poorly executed).

leo goldsmith

#24 Post by leo goldsmith » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:14 am

We have rival Anchor Bay concerns here, however ...
solent wrote:If it really is to be an 8-disc collection and the rights to all Wender's early films are owned by Anchor then - according to the WW site - a probable list could be: [disc 1] Early shorts (6 films from 1967-9), [2] SUMMER IN THE CITY, [3] GOALKEEPER, [4] SCARLET LETTER, [5] ALICE IN THE CITIES, [6] THE ISLAND (TV), [7] WRONG MOVE & [8] KINGS OF THE ROAD. This is pure speculation (and wishful thinking) on my part but it is logical n'est pa?
Kings would hopefully account for more than one disc -- in spite of AB'S affinity for flippers. And if they do this thing right, they'll keep it in Germany, which will include The State of Things.

Subbuteo

#25 Post by Subbuteo » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:19 pm

amateurist wrote:(incidentally, IMDB now bears the information that Wenders has been married six [!!] times)
I find that fascinating, I've always felt that Wenders is lost in his art, submissive even; a good trait but not always conducive to successful relationships.