Anchor Bay Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Lino

#76 Post by Lino » Wed May 24, 2006 7:48 am

Annie Mall wrote:
THX1378 wrote:... the Bay had got the rights to a ton of Mario Bava films. Most of these have been out on dvd before, but there going to go back and redo them as special editions. One that they talked about was Kidnapped, which came out over here as Rabid Dogs with some new scenes that were added.
Well, is there any news regarding these?
I repeat the question: any news?

manicsounds

#77 Post by manicsounds » Sat May 27, 2006 12:05 am

Looks like Anchor Bay UK will reissue TIME BANDITS in a 25th Anniversary edition

says on dvdactive:

Anchor Bay UK has announced the release of Time Bandits: 25th Anniversary Edition for the 14th of August, priced at around £9.99. Full specs for the release have yet to be confirmed, but we can bring you details of what has been announced so far. No artwork for this one yet I'm afraid, so check back soon for an update.

Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio
Trailer
Scrapbook
Biographies: Michael Palin, Terry Gilliam, David Rappaport, Sean Connery
Film Notes
'Dream Facts'
Production Photo Gallery
Storyboards of Missing Scene and Other Storyboard Extracts
Interview with Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin
Audio Commentaty with Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and John Cleese

wonder if this is a new commentary.

tavernier

#78 Post by tavernier » Sat May 27, 2006 12:50 am

manicsounds wrote:Looks like Anchor Bay UK will reissue TIME BANDITS in a 25th Anniversary edition

says on dvdactive:

Anchor Bay UK has announced the release of Time Bandits: 25th Anniversary Edition for the 14th of August, priced at around £9.99. Full specs for the release have yet to be confirmed, but we can bring you details of what has been announced so far. No artwork for this one yet I'm afraid, so check back soon for an update.

Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio
Trailer
Scrapbook
Biographies: Michael Palin, Terry Gilliam, David Rappaport, Sean Connery
Film Notes
'Dream Facts'
Production Photo Gallery
Storyboards of Missing Scene and Other Storyboard Extracts
Interview with Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin
Audio Commentaty with Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and John Cleese

wonder if this is a new commentary.
Could be...the 2004 Anchor Bay R1 SE didn't have a commentary, but the 2nd disc has the interview and the Gilliam episode of The Directors series.
Anyway - fuck Time Bandits...how about giving Munchausen its 17th anniversary SE????

The Fanciful Norwegian

#79 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat May 27, 2006 1:13 pm

tavernier wrote:Could be...the 2004 Anchor Bay R1 SE didn't have a commentary
But the previous Anchor Bay R2 SE did (the same commentary as the Criterion, in fact). It had David Warner and Craig Warnock as well as Gilliam, Cleese and Palin, but only the last three were mentioned in the official specs. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same commentary -- everything else is identical to the existing R2 SE (maybe they'll add some more stuff before August).

Narshty

#80 Post by Narshty » Sat May 27, 2006 1:36 pm

It's the same disc lazily reissued. My current R2 DVD has all those features.

Gordon

#81 Post by Gordon » Sat May 27, 2006 5:06 pm

Amazon list Martin Ritt's Conrack, Harriet Frank Jr. and Irving Ravetch's excellent 1974 adaptation of Pat Conroy's, The Water Is Wide. Nicely photographed by John Alonzo on location in Georgia. One of Jon Voight's best performances, I feel.

This is a Fox property. An aytpical film for Anchor to license, but most welcome.

Zumpano

#82 Post by Zumpano » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:45 am

Just watched the "Cemetery Man" DVD, and was slightly disappointed. Not in the film; the film is just as exciting, strange, and funny as I remember, but the presentation irritated me a bit.

The print is a little faded, and that kind of thing doesn't really bother me that much. But the audio was a problem. I would have to crank up the sound during the soft spoken dialogue bits, and then quickly turn it down when the "horror bits" would come in very loud. I was riding the volume control the whole time I was watching the movie; I thought I was watching a disc produced by MGM.

I don't want to warn anyone against buying the film, because it's a great film. I just don't think the audio presentation is up to snuff.

Kay Hoog

#83 Post by Kay Hoog » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:18 pm

Few posts back emcflat stated Herzog/Kinski set oop

Wonder if 2nd Herzog box set is about to go same way as now only £11.97 in UK (13.97 @play.com)

Even Dwarfs Started Small:
Fullscreen presentation
Audio commentary from Werner Herzog, Norman Hill and Crispin Glover
Film Notes
Fata Morgana:
Fullscreen presentation
Audio commentary from Werner Herzog, Norman Hill and Crispin Glover
Werner Herzog biography
Film Notes
Heart Of Glass:
1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation
Audio commentary from Werner Herzog and Norman Hill
Werner Herzog biography
Production notes
Theatrical trailer
Photo gallery
The Enigma Of Kaspar Hauser:
1.77:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation
Werner Herzog biography
Theatrical trailer
Film notes
Strosek
1.77:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation
Werner Herzog biography
Theatrical trailer
Filmographies

thethirdman

#84 Post by thethirdman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:51 pm

Does the British verison of the Herzog box not include Lessons of Darkness and Little Dieter Needs to Fly?

Kay Hoog

#85 Post by Kay Hoog » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:59 pm

thethirdman wrote:Does the British verison of the Herzog box not include Lessons of Darkness and Little Dieter Needs to Fly?
No, just the above titles.

thethirdman

#86 Post by thethirdman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:23 pm

Kay Hoog wrote:
thethirdman wrote:Does the British verison of the Herzog box not include Lessons of Darkness and Little Dieter Needs to Fly?
No, just the above titles.
Good, now I do not feel bad about buying the American set yesterday for $34. Lessons of Darkness was the main reason that I wanted the set.

kekid

#87 Post by kekid » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:16 pm

I placed an order for Wim Wenders Volume 2 with Amazon over a year ago. I had assumed it was dead. Amazon just sent me an approval request for delivery in the December of 2006. Don't know if this is good news or just a standard protocol on part of Amazon. If anyone else has info, please post.

kekid

#88 Post by kekid » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:17 pm

The Anchor Bay site has confirmed that Wim Wenders Collection 2 will be released on the 5th of December 2006. Available for pre-order at Amazon.com.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#89 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:54 am

Is there any difference between the Wim Wenders Volume II set and Volume I? Anchor Bay's website lists the same three titles previously released ("American Friend," "Lightning Over the Water" and "Notebook on Cities and Clothes").

If this is the case, then this is the dumbest possible labeling they've ever done; even more so than their repeated re-release of the "limited edition" Herzog sets.

-BJ

kekid

#90 Post by kekid » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:30 pm

The New Realease schedule on DVDBeaver lists 5 new films. Of these, Tokyo Ga is already released by Criterion with Ozu, hence the set has 4 Wenders films that have not been released in R1 so far. There you go: is it worth buying an 8-disc set for the 4 new ones? It baffles me that they chose to include the previous 3 in the set. It is also strange that Anchor Bay's own site does not list these additional titles.

dx23

#91 Post by dx23 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:54 pm

A 4th release of the 1973 The Wicker Man is coming on Dec. 19th. It will include both cuts of the film.

kekid

#92 Post by kekid » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:01 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:Is there any difference between the Wim Wenders Volume II set and Volume I? Anchor Bay's website lists the same three titles previously released ("American Friend," "Lightning Over the Water" and "Notebook on Cities and Clothes").

If this is the case, then this is the dumbest possible labeling they've ever done; even more so than their repeated re-release of the "limited edition" Herzog sets.
Anchor Bay's site now has a complete description of Wim Wenders volume 2. It confirms what was posted on DVDBeaver several weeks ago. Why they chose to include 3 previously released films in this volume is not clear. I guess now they can delete volume 1, because volume 2 will contain everything by Wenders they will have released.

dx23

#93 Post by dx23 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:35 am

Davisdvd.com has more details on the Wim Wenders Collection 2

Now is understandable why Volume 1 went OOP, although it still available in most online retailers.

devlinnn

#94 Post by devlinnn » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:42 am

'We're all entitled to one or two....hundred idiosyncrasies'

Great to see Anchor Bay at the rescue to save this one from DVD copyright hell (out Feb. 20)

Anyone else here ever find themselves at mid-afternoon, curtains drawn, dressing gown open, staring down at empty gin bottles, mumbling quotes from this wonderous movie?

colinr0380

#95 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:13 am

devlinnn wrote:Anyone else here ever find themselves at mid-afternoon, curtains drawn, dressing gown open, staring down at empty gin bottles, mumbling quotes from this wonderous movie?
SpoilerShow
I only mumble quotes while I'm sitting at the dinner table in the presence of the decaying body of my potential unrequited lover, berating him for his lack of table manners!

devlinnn

#96 Post by devlinnn » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:57 pm

When is unrequited love ever potential Colin? You must be one of the lucky ones. (How does one remove blood and tears from the upholstery?)

That is a great scene
SpoilerShow
'shall I serve?'
but it is the final pull back shot,
SpoilerShow
and Firth's/Adrian's 'Norma Desmond' moment
that kills me, every single time. Misanthropy has never been so beautifully expressed (outside of Hitch and Polanski, naturally.)

colinr0380

#97 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:03 pm

devlinnn wrote:(How does one remove blood and tears from the upolstery?)
That sounds like a job for Kim and Aggie!

devlinnn wrote:When is unrequited love ever potential Colin?
Only in my mind :cry:

I'm definitely not one of the lucky ones. That's why I have to kill them before the moment is lost :twisted:

But seriously I think there is always 'potential' on the side of the person suffering unrequited love, because even if the person knows there is absolutely no chance of any relationship, emotions take over to some extent. The admittedly one-sided potential manifests in small, insignificant gestures or acts that a person might make that are then blown out of proportion by a mind looking for some contact.

I think a lot of films have focused on the 'looney stalker' side of obsessive relationships and less on what makes a person unable to control their rational side or value themselves so little that they don't expect any return of affection from the other party (literally portrayed in the final scene), and so aren't able to properly recognise signs of being rejected. It's been a while since I've seen the film but I think this blindsides you with the 'looniness' angle at the end, since the object of desire has even darker issues going on that stop the audience being able to identify with them either. Also I think the way the film is handled makes the decisions made by Colin Firth's character in such extreme circumstances seem surprisingly understandable. It seems that we are led into his mental state as sympathetically as with Catherine Deneuve's character in Repulsion, although not as subjectively as in that film.
SpoilerShow
This quote, that I took from the plot summary on imdb: "The other eccentric residents of the building begin to worry as Adrian shows increasing signs that his mothers insanity may be hereditary", suggests another issue of how much expectation and pressure is put onto Adrian by his community to be unstable. There is the sense they'd be disappointed if he wasn't crazy by the end of the film - they'd have nothing to gossip about! So maybe his misanthropy is created by the society around him putting him into the easy 'loner' niche, rather than him rejecting them first?
SpoilerShow
Also I think this is a potential unrequited love story because, as you say, the character is so withdrawn and misanthropic that I don't think he'd even be able to admit to himself that he was even interested in the Hart Bochner character, even though his attraction is obvious to everyone but him. I don't think he even gets to the stage of realising he feels affection that is unrequited - hence the bizarre charade of normalcy (or what his idea of normalcy would be) in the dinner table scene rather than the film turning into something from Nekromantik now that he has unlimited access to the corpse!
The other thing I really like about this film is seeing Dora Bryan and Liz Smith in small roles as the ditzy old ladies!

EDIT: Actually reading my comment again I think I might have been a bit too harsh on the Hollywood 'looney stalker' films. Fatal Attraction especially has some heartbreaking moments when Glenn Close's character cuts her wrists. However I think my point is still valid in some ways, since in Fatal Attraction we only really see the stalker through the Michael Douglas character's eyes, and being a mainstream film (along with something like Single White Female) there is the sad reduction to the inevitable 'bitch deserves to die' action sequence ending which reestablishes the status quo and family values!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

devlinnn

#98 Post by devlinnn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:12 pm

Maybe we should move this to a dedicated thread on the film with spoiler warnings, considering the difficulty in discussing the film without revealing too much of the plot ....it has been years since I've seen it as well, but your points about the 'looney stalker' are beautifully put.

Fletch F. Fletch

#99 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Has anyone heard about Re-Animator being re-packaged and distributed by Anchor Bay? From Fangoria's site:

[quote]Anchor Bay passed on to Fango the art from a trio of its upcoming genre releases, including the cover for the upcoming new special edition of RE-ANIMATOR that Jeffrey Combs debuted at our just-concluded San Jose Weekend of Horrors. This title has been moved up to a release date of March 13; final specs have yet to be announced, but it will include a pair of audio commentaries (one by director Stuart Gordon, the other by producer Brian Yuzna and the cast) and much more. We'll give ya the final details as soon as we receive them. The disc will be packaged with a special collectible “syringeâ€

Lino

#100 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:22 am

From the Bits:
Boy have we got some great DVD news for you film geeks today! ABKCO Films and Anchor Bay Entertainment have just announced a pair of titles that we've been waiting for on DVD since Day One of this format... El Topo and The Holy Mountain! No kidding!

Anchor Bay will release a special limited edition collector's box set, The Films of Alejandro Jodorowsky, on DVD on 5/1 (SRP $49.98).

The set will contain El Topo, The Holy Mountain and Fando Y Lis on DVD, fully restored and remastered from new HD transfers in anamorphic widescreen video, with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 audio. The box set will also include 2 music CDs containing the soundtracks for El Topo and The Holy Mountain, as well as a DVD of Jodorowsky's never-before-released first film, La Cravate. El Topo and The Holy Mountain will also be available separately (SRP $24.98 each).

The El Topo DVD will contain audio commentary by the director, the original theatrical trailer (with English voice-over), a 2006 on-camera interview with the director as well as an exclusive new interview, a photo gallery and original script excerpts.

The Holy Mountain DVD will include audio commentary with the director, deleted scenes with commentary, the original theatrical trailer (with English voice-over), the Tarot short with commentary, a restoration process short, restoration credits, a photo gallery and original script excerpts. Fando Y Lis will include audio commentary with the director and the La Constellation Jodorowsky documentary.

Subtitles on the discs will be available in English, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese.
Awesome news indeed! To which Todd adds, "Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!" and faints dead away in shock. This is, you see, his long awaited Holy Grail title on DVD.
I wonder if the subtitles will be white or the customary Anchor Bay pale-yellow. Hopefully the former.