Blue Underground

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
jesus the mexican boi

#1 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:57 pm

12/20/2004 Archives: "Bakshi's Fire And Ice DVD in July"

Long featured on the "future releases" page of its website, Blue Underground honcho Bill Lustig announced on Saturday at a Q&A session for another film screening in Scranton, PA, that Ralph Bakshi's Fire And Ice "should be out around the end of July" from the independent DVD distributors. Apparently, the key thing holding up release has been removing all the dirt from the negative (inherent in the original cels). He also mentioned that the transfer will be Hi-Def mastered, and contain a 6.1 DTS sound mix.

http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00002844.html

bcsparker

#2 Post by bcsparker » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:14 am

"Fire and Ice" - Anybody know if Bakshi's doing a commentary on this one?
I KNOW he said "Wizards" would be the only one, but I'm being optimistic.

THX1378

#3 Post by THX1378 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:57 am

Fire and Ice was one of my favorite films as a kid and I've been waiting for the DVD for a very long time. Here is what Adam Jahnke had to say about the DVD last may when he did a set of reviews of Blue Underground discs.
Animation fans will want to get in line on October 26 for the long-awaited DVD debut of Ralph Bakshi's fantasy Fire and Ice. Expect three different editions of this one. A single-disc widescreen version, a double-disc limited edition with the Frank Frazetta documentary Painting with Fire, and a super-duper "Extreme Edition" which will be so splendiferous that Blue Underground won't even tell me what's on it yet.
So who knows what extras will be on the disc since it's been pushed back to July now. I need to pick up the Painting with Fire doc since it's out on it's own 2 disc DVD set. I do wish that Bakshi would do at least an interview for the Fire and Ice dvd but who knows.

Theodore R. Stockton

#4 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:14 pm

BU's site has 99 Women X-rated French Cut if you put the cursor over the picture of the regular version on the coming soon page. Amazon is the only site I use that has it listed. Dose anyone know if it will have the same features as the director's cut? There are no special features listed on BU's site.

Theodore R. Stockton

#5 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:20 am

I forget which site I found this at but Bad Boy Bubby is up for an april release and they had no listing on a March rlelease.

DrewReiber

#6 Post by DrewReiber » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:53 pm

There has been a *MAJOR* update on their future releases page, which now includes mention of the Tombs of the Blind Dead box set, 2-disc Bird with the Crystal Plumage and the crime genre Enzo G. Castellari collection. Awesome!

The Invunche

#7 Post by The Invunche » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:11 pm

Also, from the rumor front:
http://www.davisdvd.com/news/rumor.html wrote: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

MPI Home Video will be releasing a new two-disc special edition of Tobe Hooper's masterpiece The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The set, produced by specialty label Blue Underground, will feature a long-overdue and brand new anamorphic transfer. Among the many planned extras are a newly-recorded audio commentary track with actors Marilyn Burns, Allen Danziger, Paul A. Partain and art director Robert Burns (the last two have now passed) and the Chainsaw documentary "The Shocking Truth." No street date has been announced, so stay tuned. (thanks to Fangoria)

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

MPI Home Video also will be releasing a new special edition of the disturbing Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. The two-disc set, produced by Blue Underground, will feature a new anamorphic transfer from high definition, supervised by director John McNaughton. Among the extras are a new commentary track, a new retrospecive doscumentary (featuring on-camera interviews with McNaughton, producer Steve Jones, cinematographer Charlie Lieberman, editor Elena Maganini, and actors Michael Rooker, Tom Towles, Tracy Arnold and Lisa Temple), a new documentary on real-life serial killer Henry Lee Lucas, storyboards and more. Once again, however, no street date has been announced. (thanks to Fangoria)

Gregory

#8 Post by Gregory » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:38 pm

Fantastic news (rumor) about Texas Chainsaw Massacre! I've been waiting for a good transfer for some time. This will be the first new transfer of it since the laserdisc days.

DrewReiber

#9 Post by DrewReiber » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:41 pm

I am pretty sure MPI video will be the distributors of those films, despite Blue Underground's involvement. Could be wrong, but there is more detail on that story on Fangoria.com somewhere. I'll try to find it.

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=3508

What A Disgrace

#10 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:22 pm

Bad Boy Bubby and the two disc edition of My Brilliant Career are all up on the Coming Soon section at Blue Underground.

Bad Boy Bubby

My Brilliant Career

Does anyone care to comment on My Brilliant Career?

bcsparker

#11 Post by bcsparker » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:06 am

That one definitely sound like a departure for BU.

Wow, I never thought I'd say that...

Theodore R. Stockton

#12 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:21 pm

What ever happened to One Dark Night? I was looking foreword to some Adam West but it disappeared from the site after the future releases were updated.

It definitely seems that BU is drifting from it's "grindhouse" mission statement.

Gordon

#13 Post by Gordon » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:34 pm

Blue Underground to release My Brilliant Career - who woulda thunk of it?

I'm glad it is getting a deluxe release, but I definitely wouldn't have ear-marked this film as a BU candidate! They do indeed seem to be drifting from their image of a purveyor of gritty and obscure horror/sci-fi gems. Just as Anchor Bay did. It's not a bad thing, of course. As long as the films they release are generally deemed good or great and the work hard on them, then I will continue to buy their releases.

milkcan

#14 Post by milkcan » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:54 pm

Will these guys be releasing Shocking Asia by any chance?

THX1378

#15 Post by THX1378 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:57 pm

I wouldn't be suprised if BU doesn't get ahold of Shocking Asia and do a nice box set like what they did with Mondo Cane down the road.

DrewReiber

#16 Post by DrewReiber » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:00 am

Theodore R. Stockton wrote:What ever happened to One Dark Night? I was looking foreword to some Adam West but it disappeared from the site after the future releases were updated.
I am for one glad to see it gone. Maybe they finally got to see it again and realized how useless it was to put it back on the market? Seeing it on home video was surely one of the most painful experiences for me in recent memory.

Lino

#17 Post by Lino » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:49 am

bcsparker wrote:"Fire and Ice" - Anybody know if Bakshi's doing a commentary on this one?
I KNOW he said "Wizards" would be the only one, but I'm being optimistic.
From Ralph Bakshi's official site:
FIRE & ICE DVD OUT JULY2005!

The Fire & Ice DVD has been BEAUTIFULLY remastered and will be out this July. PLUS BONUS - Bakshi is going to be doing an interview with Lance this week(who did the Frazetta doc. 'Painting With Fire' ) to put on the dvd too. We will have the dvd available here for you guys as well as some very special prints from the film to go with it.

bcsparker

#18 Post by bcsparker » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:50 am

Thanks for the news, Annie! If the interview is even half as interesting as the one on the Wizards disc, I'll be happy.

Ashirg

#19 Post by Ashirg » Tue May 03, 2005 3:19 am

Also in July, Blue Underground will release Gillian Armstrong's Starstruck in a 2-disc edition.

Disc 1: Audio Commentary with Producer Richard Brennan. Theatrical Trailers. Poster & Still Gallery. Disc 2: Puttin' on the Show - Interviews with Director Gillian Armstrong, Producer David Elfick and Cinematographer Russell Boyd . Screenwriter Color, 6.1 DTS-ES, 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Surround 2.0, Closed Captioned.

The Invunche

#20 Post by The Invunche » Wed May 04, 2005 5:32 pm

Hi Mads,

I do not have any information at this time regarding a Blue Underground DVD release of “The Killings at Outpost Zeta”. However, we appreciate your e-mail and DVD release suggestion. Please feel free to contact us directly with any additional suggestions, questions, and/or concerns. Thanks again and Best Wishes!
I was hoping.

katjakassin

#21 Post by katjakassin » Fri May 27, 2005 1:10 am

Theodore R. Stockton wrote:BU's site has 99 Women X-rated French Cut if you put the cursor over the picture of the regular version on the coming soon page. Amazon is the only site I use that has it listed. Dose anyone know if it will have the same features as the director's cut? There are no special features listed on BU's site.

I found the X-Rated version at my local Borders in Monroeville, PA. Also, I work at Suncoast, and we can order the film in.

You can also get it at these places as well:

xploitedcinema.com
diabolikdvd.com[/url]

As far as the extras go, the extra footage (That was not filmed by Jess Franco) is the extra feature.

Lino

#22 Post by Lino » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:19 am

bcsparker wrote:Thanks for the news, Annie! If the interview is even half as interesting as the one on the Wizards disc, I'll be happy.
More reason for rejoice:

http://www.dvdtoons.com/news/783
From The Illustrator Of CONAN THE BARBARIAN And The Director Of The Original Animated LORD OF THE RINGS.

It began as a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the greatest icons of the fantasy genre: Controversial animator Ralph Bakshi (director of FRITZ THE CAT, WIZARDS and the original LORD OF THE RINGS) and legendary illustrator Frank Frazetta (creator of the iconic CONAN THE BARBARIAN, VAMPIRELLA and Edgar Rice Burroughs book covers). It became - and remains - one of the most startling animation epics of all time. Now experience a world unlike any ever seen, where savage warriors, horrific monsters and luscious maidens battle for the soul of civilization in a time of good and evil, pleasure and pain, and FIRE & ICE.

This long-unavailable cult favorite has been remastered in High Definition from original vault materials, remixed in stunning 6.1 DTS-ES and 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX, and loaded with exclusive new Extras. Widescreen 1.78:1.

Disc 1:

* Audio Commentary with Producer/Director Ralph Bakshi.
* The Making of FIRE AND ICE.
* Bakshi on Frazetta.
* Sean Hannon's Diary Notes.
* Behind-the-Scenes Still Gallery.
* Theatrical Trailer.

Disc 2:

* Disc 2 contains FRAZETTA: PAINTING WITH FIRE, the acclaimed feature-length documentary that explores the remarkable life and career of the man who changed fantasy art forever.
* Audio Commentary with Director Lance Laspina and Producer Jeremy J. DiFiore.

Ralph Bakshi's Fire & Ice: Limited Edition is scheduled for release on 08/30/2005, with a retail tag of $34.95.

What A Disgrace

#23 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:55 am

Those are some sexy specs. I'm in love.

Originally, it was announced that there would be a three disc mega-set of the film, along with one and two disc versions. I imagine that version would have included the second disc of the FRAZETTA: PAINTING WITH FIRE DVD released last year.

Ashirg

#24 Post by Ashirg » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:01 am

The Blind Dead Collection (1971 - 1976) (5Disc / Limited Edition) - DVD

The Holy Grail Of EuroHorror Classics - Now Totally Uncut & Uncensored For The First Time Ever On DVD! They are called THE BLIND DEAD, heretic horsemen whose eyes were burned out to prevent them from finding their way back from Hell. Over the course of 4 unforgettable films, writer/director Amando de Ossorio created what fright fans worldwide consider to be one of the most startling series in horror history. This unique quartet of shockers delivers a relentless onslaught of creepy atmosphere, shocking violence, forbidden sexuality, and the still-chilling icons of EuroHorror: The eyeless undead who hunt by sound in their quest for human flesh. Don't move.don't breathe.don't let them hear your heart beating: THE BLIND DEAD are back! Blue Underground is proud to present the Definitive Editions of these four long-unseen classics, now fully restored from original vault materials and remastered in heart-stopping High Definition. This Limited Edition Collection also contains an exclusive Bonus Disc of interviews with the late Amando de Ossorio, a collectable booklet and more eye-popping Extras, all packaged in a killer coffin-shaped box! Extras Disc 1: TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD (English and Spanish Versions). Alternate Opening Sequence - REVENGE OF THE PLANET APE. English Version: Theatrical Trailer. Poster & Still Gallery Disc 2: THE RETURN OF THE EVIL DEAD (English and Spanish Versions). English Version: Theatrical Trailer. Spanish Version: Theatrical Trailer. Poster & Still Gallery Disc 3: THE GHOST GALLEON. Theatrical Trailer. U.S. Advertising: HORROR OF THE ZOMBIES Theatrical Trailer, TV Spot and Radio Spots. Poster & Still Gallery Disc 4: NIGHT OF THE SEAGULLS. Theatrical Trailer. Poster & Still Gallery. Disc 5: BONUS DISC The Last Templar - Interview with Writer/Director Amando de Ossorio. Unearthing the Blind Dead - Interview with Writer/Director Amando de Ossorio. Farewell to Spain's Knight of Horror (DVD-ROM). NIGHTS OF TERROR - Collectable 40 page Booklet. Star(s) TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD: Lone Fleming, Cesar Burner / RETURN OF THE EVIL DEAD: Tony Kendall, Fernando Sancho / GHOST GALLEON: Maria Perschy, Jack Taylor / NIGHT OF THE SEAGULLS: Victor Petit, Maria Kosti
Special Features: Color, Dolby Digital Mono, Closed Captioned
Director: Amando De Ossorio
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 Widescreen, 16x9 Anamorphic
Region Code: 1
Rating: NOT RATED
Languages: English, Spanish; English Dub; Subtitled In: English, Spanish
Studio: Blue Underground
Street Date: September 27, 2005

List Price: $99.95

Gordon

#25 Post by Gordon » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:03 pm

$99.95 for The Blind Dead Collection seems a bit steep, I feel. These are low-budget Euro-horror films of varying quality with minimal extras, but they are uncut and the transfers will be excellent, I'm sure. The original is a horror gem, but the sequels get progressively weaker, story-wise. The atmosphere is always strong, but for the most part, the films can be very boring. I was expecting a $60-70 SRP. I haven't seen Night of the Seagulls, so I might have picked this up, if it was discounted to around $50-55, but this isn't likely, now.

I realise that there are obvious reasons, but Warner's 10-disc Hitchcock box also retailed for $100 and had a 30% discount. BU's truly amazing Alan Clarke (one of the greatest DVD releases ever, I feel) also cost $95.95.

Anchor Bay in the UK have used coffin-shaped boxes manufactured from cardboard. I wonder if the box Blue Underground have created will be like these, or if it is, perhaps, made of wood and this is why the price is so high.

Any thoughts?