Something Weird Video

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Gregory

#26 Post by Gregory » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:21 pm

Matt wrote:I think you can't go wrong with The Herschell Gordon Lewis Collection, even if it doesn't include the "Blood" trilogy.
I just realized that one of the ones I neglected to put on the list was the Blood Trilogy set.

bigcat

They still around

#27 Post by bigcat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:25 pm

Anyone received anything from these guys recently? I haven't received anything and its over a month since my order. No response to my email, so I'm starting to get worried.

oldsheperd

Re: Something Weird Video

#29 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:02 pm

I'm planning on buying a plethora of SWV titles here soon. ANyone got any recommendations?
Matt, any good hardcore dvd-r's?

Mr Sausage

#30 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:42 pm

oldsheperd wrote:I'm planning on buying a plethora of SWV titles here soon. ANyone got any recommendations?
Matt, any good hardcore dvd-r's?
There are a ton of recommendations on the first page of this thread.

oldsheperd

#31 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks, Sausage. I saw a few of those. I actually recommended some of my own on the first page. I just haven't been up on the SWV catalogue in a few years and sites like dvdtalk and digitally obssessed don't have a whole bunch of SWV reviews. I'm hoping SWV released a few gems since my absence.

Grand Wazoo

#32 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Basket Case Bluray!

I can't believe I hadn't heard about this before. Never thought I'd see the day...

Also on Blu is Herschel Gordon Lewis' Blood Trilogy
Last edited by Grand Wazoo on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#33 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Grand Wazoo wrote:Basket Case Bluray!

I can't believe I hadn't heard about this before. Never thought I'd see the day...
If they do it properly, I think it's a very very safe bet that the Blu-ray will resolve every last scrap of detail on the original materials - I remember watching it in the cinema when it came out and seriously wondering whether it was shot on Super 8.

Anyway, I'm definitely up for this - the original Something Weird release was fabulous. I particularly liked Henenlotter's confession in the commentary that he didn't realise until they did the DVD transfer that the film would have been cropped in cinemas because he knew nothing about aspect ratios back then and just shot on full-frame 16mm because there didn't seem to be any good reason not to.

joshua

#34 Post by joshua » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:39 pm

It looks like Blu-ray.com has weighed in. Like most things on that site though, it'll probably do you good to skip the writer's opinion on the film itself and go straight to the picture quality section. Personally I can't wait. With Bad Biology, this and Synapse's forthcoming release of Frankenhooker, it looks like Henenlotter is getting the royal HD treatment this year.

zombeaner

#35 Post by zombeaner » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:28 pm

FWIW, I have the Frankenhooker disc in hand and it is easily a solid upgrade. It also ports over all of the extras from the Unearthed DVD. Arrow are working on a Blu-ray for Dec with some more bonus features, but likely the same transfer.

R0lf

#36 Post by R0lf » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:06 pm

After seeing recently that FUEGO was played in a double bill with Losey's BOOM! I've just watched it twice in the last 24hrs.

Extremely entertaining and recommended.

Grand Wazoo

#37 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Something Weird recently released a blu double feature of The Wizard of Gore and The Gore Gore Girls.

On July 3rd they are releasing a Doris Wishman triple feature on blu including Deadly Weapons, Double Agent 73, and The Immoral Three. I believe The Immoral Three had only been released on dvd-r previously.

JPJ

#38 Post by JPJ » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:24 am

Don't know if it really matters but if I remember correctly, either Deadly weapons or Double agent was missing some footage on their dvd release.

Some immortal lines from Deadly weapons:
Crystal: "I want to be your wife, not your mistress."

Larry: "You're a successful advertising executive. Beautiful, loads of dough. I'm nothing but trouble baby. Nothing. But. Trouble."

Crystal: "I love you, Larry."

JPJ

#39 Post by JPJ » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:09 am

Swedish Dvd label needs your help:

http://klubbsuper8.com/?p=1275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure they've already contacted SW's Mike Vraney and if he can't dig this up from his warehouse then all the hope might be lost.

Sarno's Sin in the suburbs(available fron SW) is a sleaze masterpiece in my opinion,someone even speculated that it was an influence on Eyes wide shut(the orgy scenes).I think back in the early sixties Kubrick used to see "everything" so it's certainly possible that he saw this one too.

Grand Wazoo

#40 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 pm

From Lisa Petrucci on the Something Weird Facebook page:
"VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!On this 2nd of January (the anniversary of Mike Vraney’s death) it seems an appropriate time to share some very important news about the future of Something Weird Video. Let me first say 2020 will mark the 30th Anniversary of SWV, three decades of offering one of the most eclectic selections of exploitation feature films and shorts from the 1930s-70s on home video - everything from old time Roadshow Rarities to sizzling Sexploitation Classics and everything in between. SWV is renowned for its nostalgic compilation series, volume upon volume of vintage subject matter, hundreds of hours of oddball educationals, kooky time capsules, and ridiculous racy content. I would go so far to say that Something Weird Video is one of the most beloved video companies in the known universe.

Before Mike Vraney passed away, he told me to sell the company and discontinue the mail order video company (something he was already considering even before his terminal cancer diagnosis). He wanted me to be able to pursue my own projects and pursuits. But I just couldn’t do that. All Mike’s hard work and his important legacy meant more to me than anything else and I wanted to do everything that I could to continue honoring him. Plus there was no one company who could ever “be” Something Weird. So for the past 6 years I’ve kept the video business going pretty much on my own with one part-time employee (who does the DVD-R manufacturing for orders that come in.) Doing the jobs of what used to be 6 or more employees, has proven to be a challenge. Although things aren’t as busy as they used to be in our heyday, it’s still a 24/7 responsibility running SWV on my own. Besides the day-to-day duties, I’ve been selling the 35mm film archive and licensing content to other companies who are now partnering with SWV. Over the past 6 years we’ve begun working with AGFA (American Genre Film Archive), Severin Films, Kino Lorber, Alternative Cinema (Pop Cinema / Film Media), The Film Detective, byNWR.com, Mondo Macabro, Distribpix and others on new restorations, Blu-ray and theatrical releases, and genre film preservation. I’m thrilled to be able to pass the baton to these highly reputable companies and see Something Weird continue to be relevant due to these collaborations.

So, let me preface what I’m about to say with this. Before you panic and start yelling like Chicken Little “The sky is falling! The sky is falling!”, Something Weird Video isn’t going anywhere, it will be around indefinitely, but in a different way than before. Some parts will be coming to an end while other things will be continuing, transitioning and expanding for SWV. I’m looking forward to the endless possibilities.

The most significant decision that I’ve made is to wrap up the in-house DVD-R manufacturing by the end of December 31, 2020. This is the part of the business that keeps me from doing other more creative SW-related endeavors since I have to be available to process orders, customer service (via email, Messenger, and, yes, still the telephone and snail mail), pack and ship orders, and deal with pesky customer problems on top of everything else that I have to do on a daily basis, even nights and weekends. There are many layers to operating SWV that most of you are completely unaware of, it’s not just fulfilling orders. There are also unforeseen problems and stressful situations that come out of nowhere that directly effect or threaten the business. Frankly, it’s been draining the life from me and there isn’t enough revenue in DVD-R mail orders for the time and energy I have to devote to keep the ship afloat (and I can’t afford to hire a clone). Not to mention that DVD-R duplicating equipment and the video masters are starting to crap out. So after looking at the big picture, I’ve decided it’s time to call it a day with the in-house DVD-R manufacturing at the end of the year.

And like I said above, before you start freaking out, customers will have ONE YEAR to get any DVD-R titles that they still need for their video libraries . This gives you all enough advance notice to save some dough, and place some orders to fill in the gaps and complete your collections.

For those of you that want to place big orders (over 30 DVD-Rs at a time) you can contact me directly via email at questions@somethingweird.com and I will give you the special $7 each price (plus shipping charges). There’s no way to apply the discount via the website, so you have to contact me directly and I can process the order manually (with payment by either credit card or PayPal via PayPal Invoice). Please DO NOT Facebook Messenger me any orders or inquiries! SWV email is always the best and quickest way to hear back from me.

And I’m very grateful to you Weirdos who have supported SWV these past few years. There are some of you who have singlehandedly helped me keep the lights on and my cats fed. You have my sincerest appreciation and thanks for your continued patronage.

SWV will be keeping the Downloads active on the website until probably the end of 2021 (unless it starts to costs more to continue offering them, we have a monthly website maintenance fee, like renting a brick and mortar storefront.) The good news is that we are LOWERING the price of Downloads. Feature films and compilations will be $7.99 each and the single titles of double features will be $5.99 each! I’m hoping this will be more incentive for people to buy Download videos.

Image Entertainment Special Edition DVDs will remain in stock as long as they are still in print. Our licensing deal with RLJ Entertainment comes to an end in October 2020, so I plan to get as much wholesale stock as possible to keep the DVDs available on our website (until like all good things, they eventually run out.)

Most of the new partner Blu-ray releases will be available on the SW website indefinitely. More will be added to the website as they are released. We also have the new Modern Harmonic / Sundazed music soundtrack albums, and other SW-related merchandise. Maybe we’ll even do that streaming channel you’ve all been bugging me about so that our content is all available in one place at one price. There are going to be many new exciting projects and releases, so stay tuned!

You’re probably wondering, “Lisa, what are you going to do, sit on the couch watching your stories all day and eat bon-bons?” No. The plan is, once the video mail order winds down, I plan to work on BOOKS! In 2021, I’ll be starting Something Weird Press, a new label that will focus on exploitation film reference and picture books, utilizing the paper archive that Mike and I amassed over the past three decades. There are thousands of posters, pressbooks, still photos, ad mats, and assorted ephemera that need to be seen! For years my job at SWV was designing all the catalogs and promotional materials. It was always my intention all along to eventually publish books, so I will be able to dive in and finally make it happen!

I also plan to start selling my extra paper ephemera online, but that ain’t gonna happen until after 2021 so don’t even think of asking me about it ahead of time!

I don’t want any of you to be sad about this. It’s a GOOD thing! I am looking forward to getting my life back and not feeling like a prisoner chained to the SW office. I haven’t been able to go away for any longer than 3 days at a time and haven’t had a real vacation since Mike died. My health and sanity depend on making these positive changes. And before you ask “Why don’t you do this? Or why don’t you do that?” please know that I’ve given this a lot of thought and am totally at peace with my decision. It’s time to move on and embrace the future.

— Lisa Petrucci, SWV"

MichaelB

#41 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:44 am

That all sounds eminently sane and reasonable.