It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:35 pm 

I screened Werckmeister for a class of high school students some years ago, and they had an awestruck, in my mind appropriate reaction. It has a motive force and a clear throughline which some of his other works lack (especially Turin Horse, with its repetitions). Werckmeister also offers some of his most visually spectacular shots, with its marching crowds, its Steadicam through the plaza, its refusal to show us the Prince. The class I was teaching had some building and some lovely students, but I also had no qualms about showing it because I knew its was so strong and clear. I would not, for instance, have shown Damnation.

I would never call Satantango a slog, though, so take that into consideration.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:44 pm 

Did people know that AE released ALMANAC OF THE FALL (under the title AUTUMN ALMANAC) in March? Completely passed me by. How depressing that in 2016 AE are releasing major films by major directors in DVD only editions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:25 pm 

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days in a blu-ray bundle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Artificial-Eye ... ROKL5A1OLE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:04 am 

The Class would also be a UK BD debut.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:09 am 

It appears almost every package has at least one lesser film (maybe except the british) but it's extremely overpriced especially if there are no extras

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:43 am 

I hope they decide to release 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days separately (and The Class too). Then again, they didn't for A Swedish Love Story, so you're forced to buy the whole Andersson set just to get that one (with the other two other than A Pigeon being dodgy upscaled transfers apparently).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:56 pm 

MichaelB said that the rights to Kieslowski's "Short Films" were owned by Artifical Eye in the UK (Which is why Arrow is only releasing the Televison version of Dekalog). If a new box set is coming I would imagine they'll be included.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:35 am 

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Kieślowski box - AE has the rights, HD restorations are available off the shelf, and their refusal to sublicense the Short Films About Killing and Love to Arrow suggests that they plan to do them themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:09 pm 

That's exactly what I was thinking, but what would the other two be? I notice on the Zavvi listing the box set is just titled "Classics" for now, so it could be anything.

One of the remaining discs could just be The Double Life of Veronique, or if they can fit both Killing and Love on the same disc it could be the Three Colours Trilogy (but that would admittedly be a bit silly since many of us would already own all three of those). They have released some other Kieslowski titles before though: The Scar, Camera Buff, No End, and Blind Chance...

I guess they could get the same transfer of Blind Chance that Criterion released, but that still leaves one or two mystery discs. If they're going to put other directors in there, there's obviously plenty I'd love to see upgraded eventually (e.g. Bresson, Kiarostami, Jia, Ray, Haneke, Wong, Sembene, Mizoguchi, Klimov, Rohmer, Tarr, Makhmalbaf, Kaurismäki, Denis, Kalatozov etc). Obviously it will depend on whether there are decent materials available to license as well as whether they still have the rights...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:36 am 

The fourth AE40 box contains a pretty useless bundling of titles: The 400 Blows, Three Colours: Blue, Mouchette and Babette's Feast.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:20 pm 

rockysds wrote:
The fourth AE40 box contains a pretty useless bundling of titles: The 400 Blows, Three Colours: Blue, Mouchette and Babette's Feast.

Yeah, I saw that. Ah well, another AE release to ignore I guess.

I do hope they release 4 Months, 3 Week and 2 Days separately though...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:13 am 

New titles for Q1 2017 are Francofonia (Sokurov), The Unknown Girl (Dardenne) and Endless Poetry (Jodorowsky).

Yeah noticed the Tarkovsky titles are that price at the moment...might pick up Solaris and Ivan's Childhood at the very least. Anomalisa is the same price but since that's 1xBD I reckon it'll drop even further in the coming months.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:00 pm 

jedgeco wrote:
Someone on the bluray.com forum posted this, which he says he received as a response from Mosfilm:

Quote:
Dear Sir,

The materials of the Mosfilm restorations were provided to Criterion Collection
in the frame of the licence granted to them for the films directed by Andrey Tarkovsky.

Best regards,

Elena Orel
International Relations and Distribution Dept.
Mosfilm Cinema Concern

I was the one who wrote to Mosfilm & posted this to Bluray.com (and also earlier in this thread). If anyone's curious, I also wrote to Criterion around the same time ask if they planned to release the new masters on Blu-ray to which, as of yet, they haven't gotten back to me. While Stalker's appearance on FilmStruck makes me optimistic there have been times Criterion confirmed films outright and then didn't release them, so I'll believe when it's playing on my television.

(Note to Moderator: I understand this might appear as a duplicate post but I just wanted to fix the grammar and had to repost to do so. Sorry for the confusion!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:47 pm 

April 3rd (DVD only): The Dardenne Brothers: The Early Works - Falsch (1987) / Je pense à vous (1992)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:51 am 

Curzon to receive 'outstanding' Bafta award

The Curzon near me is shit compared to alternatives, i.e. HOME.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:51 pm 

TMDaines wrote:
Curzon to receive 'outstanding' Bafta award

The Curzon near me is shit compared to alternatives, i.e. HOME.

The London cinemas are all becoming overpriced venues offering pretty middlebrow foreign and 'indie' American fare with artisan grub and craft beer. Cinema as an 'experience' not actually about good film.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:30 pm 

Only BFI Southbank and especially Prince Charles offer some value anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:55 am 

perkizitore wrote:
Only BFI Southbank and especially Prince Charles offer some value anymore.

True. Admittedly I am a Curzon member, so get four free tickets a year, which pays for the membership.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:05 pm 

The Tarkovsky box set will be available on April 10th and come with a 177-page book.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:07 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Calvin wrote:
The Tarkovsky box set will be available on April 10th and come with a 177-page book.

Already being discussed in the dedicated thread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:02 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Quote:
Upcoming Blu-rays and DVDs:

The Salesman

Synopsis: Forced out of their apartment due to dangerous works on a neighbour's building, Emad (Shahab Hosseini) and Rana (Taraneh Alidoosti) move into a new flat in the centre of Tehran. An incident linked to the previous tenant will dramatically change the young couple's life. Starring Shahab Hosseini, Taraneh Alidoosti, Babak Karimi, and Mina Sadati.

STREET DATE: MAY 29.

Graduation

Synopsis: Internationally acclaimed director Cristian Mungiu returns with a powerful and universal study about the imprecision of parenthood, the relativity of truth and the ambiguity of compromise, revealed by a father-daughter relationship.

Romeo Aldea (49), a physician living in a small mountain town in Transylvania, has raised his daughter Eliza with the idea that once she turns 18, she will leave to study and live abroad. His plan is close to succeeding. Eliza has won a scholarship to study psychology in the UK. She just has to pass her final exams – a formality for such a good student.

On the day before her first written exam, Eliza is assaulted in an attack that could jeopardize her entire future. Now Romeo has to make a decision. There are ways of solving the situation, but none of them using the principles he, as a father, has taught his daughter. Starring Adrian Titieni, Maria-Victoria Dragus, and Rares Andrici.

STREET DATE: MAY 15.

It's Only the End of the World

Prodigious auteur Xavier Dolan (Mommy) comes of age with his dazzling sixth film, based on the play of the same name by Jean-Luc Lagarce and featuring an all-star cast of top French actors.

After 12 years of estrangement, a writer (Gaspard Ulliel) returns to his hometown, planning on announcing his impending death to his family. However, his mother (Nathalie Baye), tempestuous siblings (Vincent Cassel and Léa Seydoux) and beleaguered sister-in-law (Marion Cotillard) have their own personal grievances to air. As buried resentments threaten to surface and fits and feuds begin to unfold, all attempts at empathy are sabotaged by the family's inability to listen and love.

Winner of the Grand Prix at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, It's Only the End of the World is a bold and stylistically daring melodrama performed with thunderous emotion. Taut, tense and packed with explosive performances shot in claustrophobic close-up, it further confirms Dolan as one of the most singular talents in world cinema. Starring Gaspard Ulliel, Vincent Cassel, Marion Cotillard, Léa Seydoux, and Nathalie Baye.

STREET DATE: APRIL 24.

Rivers and Tides

Synopsis: Documentary profile of renowned sculptor Andy Goldsworthy, famed for his work using natural materials such as ice, stone, leaves, and wood. Shot in four countries across four seasons, the documentary offers an insight into Goldsworthy's painstaking creative processes, and the elusive nature of his work, which is often destroyed by nature and by the passing of time.

STREET DATE: MARCH 27.

UPCOMING DVD ONLY RELEASES

1. Katell Quillévéré's Heal the Living - June 26.
2. Pete Middleton and James Spinney's Notes on Blindness - April 10.
3. Rama Burshtein's Through the Wall - February 20.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:43 am 

According to blu-ray.com Heal the Living and Notes on Blindness will also get blu-rays + Artificial Eye is planning a 10-disc Louis Malle set.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:25 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Contents of the 10 film Malle set

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:25 pm 

Also, a box set of Agnès Varda titles will follow it...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:05 am 

domino harvey wrote:

Hopefully they come with the Gaumont extras. Some of these transfers have not been optimum, but when you can pick all 10 of these titles in a boxset for £30-35 by the end of the year, it's going to offer great value.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next