Film Movement

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
doh286

Re: Film Movement

#26 Post by doh286 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:11 pm

pointless

#27 Post by pointless » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:37 am

knives

#28 Post by knives » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:47 am

Any word if it will match any of the extras from the French set?

jojo

#29 Post by jojo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:50 pm

I got the BD for Full Moon in Paris.

The disc comes with a 6 page booklet with a David Thomson essay.

The extras are trailers for other Film Movement and an archive interview with Pascale Ogier. I haven't looked at it yet to see how long it is or where it's from.

Visually, it seems to be same as the Potemkine BD release of the film going by screencaps I've seen online.

No problems I can spot so far with removable subtitles, audio, etc,.

Hesitant to pick up BD of Marquise of O based on the trailer though. Seem to be quite a bit of noise reduction just going off the trailer. Don't recall seeing any screencaps of Marquise Potemkine release so I can't get a reference for comparison.

John Doe

#30 Post by John Doe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Japanese actor/director Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano's acclaimed first two films as a director, VIOLENT COP and BOILING POINT, lead the list, as well as a new 4K restoration of Wolf Gremm's cult classic KAMIKAZE 89, starring Rainer Werner Fassbinder in his last film role, and Marleen Gorris' ANTONIA'S LINE, which is celebrating the 20th anniversary of its Academy Award win. Other titles include Italian director Ettore Scola's Cannes-winning film, UGLY, DIRTY AND BAD (originally released as DOWN AND DIRTY in the U.S.); Bille August's THE BEST INTENTIONS (with a screenplay by Ingmar Bergman); Lee Tamahori's ONCE WERE WARRIORS; and Geoffrey Murphy's post-apocalyptic THE QUIET EARTH.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=18137#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Emilio

#31 Post by Emilio » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:10 am

John Doe wrote:
Japanese actor/director Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano's acclaimed first two films as a director, VIOLENT COP and BOILING POINT, lead the list, as well as a new 4K restoration of Wolf Gremm's cult classic KAMIKAZE 89, starring Rainer Werner Fassbinder in his last film role, and Marleen Gorris' ANTONIA'S LINE, which is celebrating the 20th anniversary of its Academy Award win. Other titles include Italian director Ettore Scola's Cannes-winning film, UGLY, DIRTY AND BAD (originally released as DOWN AND DIRTY in the U.S.); Bille August's THE BEST INTENTIONS (with a screenplay by Ingmar Bergman); Lee Tamahori's ONCE WERE WARRIORS; and Geoffrey Murphy's post-apocalyptic THE QUIET EARTH.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=18137#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pretty interesting set of titles!

Cronenfly

#32 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Violent Cop and Boiling Point arrive October 11, DVD and Blu.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Sissi Trilogy coming to Blu-ray next year

Costa

#34 Post by Costa » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:23 pm

domino harvey wrote:Sissi Trilogy coming to Blu-ray next year
Is there any legitimate source for that?
I don't find anything in the internet except for a member at bluray.com who just registered there and made only that one post!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#35 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Costa

#36 Post by Costa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:49 am

domino harvey wrote:Pro-B confirmed it
I'm sorry, I don't take that as a legitimate source.
I meant something like a statement from Film Movement themselves.

htdm

#37 Post by htdm » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:21 pm

Costa

#38 Post by Costa » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:35 pm

Is there any problem with the Film Movement site?
When you try from European ips, it says "forbidden", but when you try with American ips, all's OK.

Anyway, I still don't see Sissi in their upcoming titles (that' s why I cannot understand where did this information come from) but I see Pelle the Conqueror.

captveg

#39 Post by captveg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:58 pm

The Quiet Earth (1985) on 12/6/16

Special Features:

NEW Restoration of the film
Audio Commentary by acclaimed astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson and film critic Odie Henderson
Collector's Booklet with film essay by academic/film critic Teresa Heffernan, cast and crew credits, and archival stills

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#40 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:55 pm

Costa wrote:Is there any problem with the Film Movement site?
When you try from European ips, it says "forbidden", but when you try with American ips, all's OK.
Currently dead as a door nail when I try to look at it (from Boston, MA)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#41 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:31 pm

Picked up two of my personal favorites, Violent Cop and Boiling Point, this week. Aside from the atrocious covers, it makes me very happy to finally see these films with great transfers. The previous DVDs either had ghosting, were non-anamorphic or just looked muddy. I have a real love for the hazy, soft film stock you see in Japanese films of this period, and these capture it perfectly.

I have a soft spot for renegade cop films (basically the bulk of Charles Bronson's 80s output), and Violent Cop is the art house version of this sub-genre. Instead of proto-fascist cops who kill any form of urban terror mercilessly (minorities, the poor and sexual deviants all lumped together), it's an unsettling portrait of what the reality might be for this type of police officer. He's not a good looking hero or working toward some type of code of ethics. He's cruel, violent and unshaken even when innocent bystanders are killed; all for his sense of getting the job done. This is as bleak as his stoic, elliptical world view gets.

Boiling Point is another beast. Along with Getting Any?, it's closer in spirit to his surreal, non-sequitur based humor, except it's far more grotesque, uncomfortable and violent than Getting Any?. It's full of insane moments that I'm surprised haven't caught on with adventurous film watchers. The karaoke bar scene might be among the funniest things he ever staged and contains this weird, giddy to it. And even the trajectory of the plot and how one scene leads to the next are beautifully confusing. It never hit me until recently, but though there's a stylistic connection between these releases and his later features, it seems that after Scene By The Scene, he developed a lot more empathy for humanity and got less interested in making wild cinematic statements like this. He went for a mood that might be closer to who he actually is: sadder, lonelier and goofier.

But these aren't just some cinematic footnote to a career. The two Kitanos released are wonderful and I'm so happy to see them made available in the west again.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#42 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:35 pm

Where did you get these Kitano blu-rays from?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#43 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:26 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Where did you get these Kitano blu-rays from?
Bought them from a local record store in Los Angeles, but it looks like Amazon should have the Blu-Rays in stock as well.

skeets kelly

#44 Post by skeets kelly » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Mine arrived from Amazon yesterday.

Costa

#45 Post by Costa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 pm

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
U.S. label Film Movement has confirmed that it will release its first Blu-ray box set which will contain four films in NEW 2K restorations featuring the young Romy Schneider. The box set will be available for purchase later this year.

The films will include the original Sissi Trilogy: Sissi (1955); Sissi: The Young Empress (1956); and Sissi: The Fateful Years of an Empress (1957). Also included is an English-language dubbed film called Forver My Love which was edited from the previous three Sissi films and released by Paramount Pictures in the U.S. in 1962 with a newly-written title song by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. The last film in the collection is The Story of Vickie a.k.a. Victoria in Dover from 1954, which is a film about the young Queen Victoria, while the other films are about Princess (and later Empress) Elisabeth "Sissi" of Austria who was married to the Habsburg Emperor Franz Joseph.
I really hope they include both Aspect ratios (like the German blurays) since:
1) the 1.37:1 is the OAR
2) I grew up watching this trilogy in the above AR
3) i think it fits the films better since there are many interiors of palaces, and this AR depicts better the sense of height, with the high ceilings in these buildings. Not to mention the wonderful costumes which will be cut off in close ups in widescreen.

If they don't include the 1.37:1 I'll wait for the new German blurays in October from Alive, in case they do and include English subs this time.

TMDaines

#46 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:26 am

Are all the previously released German Blu-ray sets the same?

I know there is two new sets coming out from Filmjuwelen? Are these expected to be improved releases?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#47 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:18 am

Pelle the Conquerer coming in May with a Peter Cowie commentary

Aunt Peg

#48 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:29 am

Hirokazu Kore-eda's After the Storm is coming to blu ray and dvd on August 15. It's up for pre-order on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/After-Storm-Blu- ... +the+storm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#49 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:37 am

I'm glad they are putting After The Storm on Blu-Ray. It only ran for a week at my local theater and was very sad to miss it. Kore-eda keeps making beautiful, human movies, but doesn't seem to get quite the recognition he used to.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#50 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:59 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:I'm glad they are putting After The Storm on Blu-Ray. It only ran for a week at my local theater and was very sad to miss it. Kore-eda keeps making beautiful, human movies, but doesn't seem to get quite the recognition he used to.
That's why my wife and I now always try to get to films in their first week (except in those rare cases where we go to something clearly mainstream). Most things we want to see only stick around for a week (assuming they show up at all).