German Filmmuseum Edition

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Tommaso

Re: German Filmmuseum Edition

#601 Post by Tommaso » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:40 am

The wait has an end: Edition Filmmuseum is finally releasing the 1913 Der Student von Prag. Looks like an incredibly complete package. The main film in two different projection speeds with different musics (the original 1913 piano score and a new orchestral score by Bernd Thewes), plus a later, heavily altered English language re-release cut, and a 1913 bonus short called "Die ideale Gattin".

Why they still insist to ascribe the film to Hanns Heinz Ewers (who wrote the script and had a lot of influence on the production, of course) and not to Stellan Rye (who by all accounts I read was the actual director) is somewhat confusing, but perhaps the booklet will tell us more.

TMDaines

#602 Post by TMDaines » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:11 am

It also has a "film narrator" option. Despite the lack of HD and an HDTV recording online, I will buy this.

Tommaso

#603 Post by Tommaso » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:26 am

I've just looked up the bonus short "Die ideale Gattin" at imdb. It features Ernst Lubitsch! Must be one of his very first surviving films as an actor.

Tommaso

#604 Post by Tommaso » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:39 am

And things are getting even better; under forthcoming releases they now list:

97 Der Gang in die Nacht Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, 1920
99 Lola Montez & Liebelei Max Ophüls, 1933/1955

The Ophuls even already has a cover. Means nothing, as the same goes for "Algol" and the Barnet disc, for which we've been waiting for endless years now. In any case, I'm terribly excited about the Murnau, and all those who haven't seen "Liebelei" yet should be as excited about the Ophuls.

Stefan Andersson

#605 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:55 am

Looked at the site.

No sign of Der Gang in die Nacht. Maybe I should look closer. Perhaps site is malfunctioning.
https://www.edition-filmmuseum.com/prod ... eases.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might this be the 2002 resto of the German-dubbed Lola? With the snatches of English and French dialogue that Ophuls wanted in the film?

I think, according to Martina Müller´s book, there were two German dubs. The second one replaced Walbrook and Ustinow with other voice actors.

Perhaps Liebelei will include the French version:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/comme ... t_popular/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, a wonderful announcement.

Tommaso

#606 Post by Tommaso » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:06 am

I was also thinking it might be the German version of "Lola".

The announcement can be found on the German language version of the "Forthcoming Releases" page.

TMDaines

#607 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:06 pm

Seems to be a positive flurry of releases: three Jürgen Böttcher sets now available. I want.

neilist

#608 Post by neilist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:10 pm

Another announcement... Hansjürgen Pohland's 'Katz und Maus'.
This adaptation of Günter Grass's novel "Cat and Mouse" was one of the first films of the "Young German Cinema" and subject of a controversial political debate. The DVD puts Katz und Maus in the historical context with rare documents in the booklet and in the ROM section. Also included are two short films by Hansjürgen Pohland and Michael Klier, a selection of photos from the set and the original recordings of Attila Zoller's famous score.
It's hopefully just a temporary issue, but one of the recently announced Jürgen Böttcher sets (EF102 - ‘Jahrgang 45’ and ‘Drei von vielen’) now appears to have disappeared from the site...

zedz

#609 Post by zedz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:58 pm

neilist wrote:It's hopefully just a temporary issue, but one of the recently announced Jürgen Böttcher sets (EF102 - ‘Jahrgang 45’ and ‘Drei von vielen’) now appears to have disappeared from the site...
Might be a rights issue, as Jahrgang '45 was recently rereleased in that 'Verboten' box set of the East German New Wave.

L.A.

#610 Post by L.A. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Tommaso

#611 Post by Tommaso » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Yeah, great. This new resto of "The Salvation Hunters" was already aired on arte TV last year, and it looked truly fine. That four-minute fragment of "Lena Smith" (apparently found on a Chinese flea market!) has similarly made its way into the backchannels already, but still this release probably represents a major addition to the Sternberg canon. Somehow seeing the extremly stylish four minutes from "Lena Smith" made me think that this might be one of the greatest lost American silents.

TMDaines

#612 Post by TMDaines » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:49 am

Pity it's not on Blu-ray, when we already have an HD version floating about...

L.A.

#613 Post by L.A. » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Kafka Goes to the Movies coming in March 2017.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#614 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Literally a collection of movies that Kafka watched!

knives

#615 Post by knives » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:55 pm

And I couldn't be more excited since I just asked about this very topic recently.

Tommaso

#616 Post by Tommaso » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:19 pm

Yeah, probably an exciting release indeed. We have to wait for a more detailed announcement of course, but the prospect of getting a 3-dvd release of hopefully mostly German silents from the 1910s is really great. I hope that some of the once tentatively scheduled - and later abandoned - films by Max Mack and Urban Gad will finallly show up on this one.

knives

#617 Post by knives » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:28 pm

Given the name this will probably be culled by the book of the same name. Here is a list of the table of contents.

pet42

#618 Post by pet42 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:24 am

An extended version of this book with (only one ?) DVD will appear in March as well: https://www.amazon.de/dp/3869711051

neilist

#619 Post by neilist » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Heiner Carow's 'Die Russen kommen' and 'Karriere' due March 2017.
Edition Filmmuseum 107
Heiner Carow's powerful film The Russians Are Coming, about the final days of World War II, was made in the GDR in 1968. However, it did not receive state authorization for release at the time and could only be painstakingly reconstructed in 1987. This double DVD presents a new, restored version of the film and allows viewers their first ever opportunity to compare it with Career (1971), in which Heiner Carow made use of parts of the unreleased material from The Russians Are Coming.

HerrSchreck

#620 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Does anyone here (say Tommy) have any idea what in god's name ever happened w Algol from this crew? The slow drip drip drip of atomic releases from this label seems to have thickened into a flat out clog. I understand they're constrained by time and budget and a Europe fracturing like the rest of civilization into rampant political idiocy ("First 50 years of the 20th Century? WTF are the First 50 Years of the 20th Century??--doomed to repeat what???").

But there's no better cure for rampant political insanity than finally wiping away the smog of time via ancient TV telecine analog rips to settle down with a fabulous silent masterwork like Algol or Die Strasse. Trapped in the Mine (Schlagende) is a fine little film with some bizarre conception of a rather workaday drama (the elevator operator in the mineshaft is well nigh a portent of Langian sci fi), but we've fine backchannel material there.

And of course the cruelly underrepresented Grune, Die Strasse:

Tommaso

#621 Post by Tommaso » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Well, I've no idea what keeps them from releasing these long announced releases, apart from typical Germanic perfectionism perhaps. Of course there may always be rights issues/controversies in the background that we don't know of and only perhaps learn about later. The much delayed 1913 "Student von Prag" was such a case; they ended up releasing a set with two slightly different versions in terms of intertitles and playback speed to satisfy the rightsholder of Ewers' estate (and when watching the two versions side by side, the rightsholder even seems to have been right to complain!). But I have absolutely no idea what it is that holds back this particular release: "Schlagende Wetter" was shown on arte TV years ago and it looked stunning, so the trouble - whatever it is - must be with "Algol".

That they - nor anyone else - haven't done anything about "Die Straße" is beyond me, too, but at least nothing about a resto has been announced, as sad as this is. So don't expect anything in this respect. I only know that I'd want to direct anyone to the fine digitisation of Grune's outstanding "Am Rande der Welt" (1927) starring Brigitte Helm and also Max Schreck. I really don't know why this hasn't been released yet; they'd only need to have someone play some piano to it. Well, here it is. For an English subtitled version you'd unfortunately have to consult the backchannels, though....

In any case, I'm even more waiting for the Munich Filmmuseum's finalisation of their 'work in progress' restoration of what remains of the "Homunculus" serial. And Murnau's "Gang in die Nacht", now finally announced as forthcoming (whatever that means with this label); but they've been on it restoring it for about ten years now, from what I've heard.

And where is that goddamn long-promised Barnet set?!

yoshimori

#622 Post by yoshimori » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Tommaso wrote:And where is that goddamn long-promised Barnet set?!
... and the Otsep Living Corpse that was announced three, four years ago ... and ...

L.A.

#623 Post by L.A. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:47 am

L.A. wrote:Kafka Goes to the Movies coming in March 2017.
Late April hopefully. Now listed as a 4-DVD set.

Adam

#624 Post by Adam » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Could you mean this newly restored version of ALGOL from the Munich Film Museum that is playing at the American CInematheque in Los Angeles on Sunday April 30?
http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... r-caligari" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FIAF is in LA that weekend, so all the various archivists from around the world will be here. The American Cinematheque is doing a couple of relevant shows. (I was hoping to do another but it didn't work out.) Anyway, I trust that the screening means that the DVD will come soon.
HerrSchreck wrote:Does anyone here (say Tommy) have any idea what in god's name ever happened w Algol from this crew? The slow drip drip drip of atomic releases from this label seems to have thickened into a flat out clog. I understand they're constrained by time and budget and a Europe fracturing like the rest of civilization into rampant political idiocy ("First 50 years of the 20th Century? WTF are the First 50 Years of the 20th Century??--doomed to repeat what???").

But there's no better cure for rampant political insanity than finally wiping away the smog of time via ancient TV telecine analog rips to settle down with a fabulous silent masterwork like Algol or Die Strasse.

L.A.

#625 Post by L.A. » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:09 pm

L.A. wrote:
L.A. wrote:Kafka Goes to the Movies coming in March 2017.
Late April hopefully. Now listed as a 4-DVD set.
Pushed to May but the contents are now listed. Looks superb!