It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:19 pm 

Yeah, probably an exciting release indeed. We have to wait for a more detailed announcement of course, but the prospect of getting a 3-dvd release of hopefully mostly German silents from the 1910s is really great. I hope that some of the once tentatively scheduled - and later abandoned - films by Max Mack and Urban Gad will finallly show up on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:28 pm 

Given the name this will probably be culled by the book of the same name. Here is a list of the table of contents.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:24 am 

An extended version of this book with (only one ?) DVD will appear in March as well: https://www.amazon.de/dp/3869711051

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:30 pm 

Heiner Carow's 'Die Russen kommen' and 'Karriere' due March 2017.

Quote:
Edition Filmmuseum 107
Heiner Carow's powerful film The Russians Are Coming, about the final days of World War II, was made in the GDR in 1968. However, it did not receive state authorization for release at the time and could only be painstakingly reconstructed in 1987. This double DVD presents a new, restored version of the film and allows viewers their first ever opportunity to compare it with Career (1971), in which Heiner Carow made use of parts of the unreleased material from The Russians Are Coming.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:07 pm 

Does anyone here (say Tommy) have any idea what in god's name ever happened w Algol from this crew? The slow drip drip drip of atomic releases from this label seems to have thickened into a flat out clog. I understand they're constrained by time and budget and a Europe fracturing like the rest of civilization into rampant political idiocy ("First 50 years of the 20th Century? WTF are the First 50 Years of the 20th Century??--doomed to repeat what???").

But there's no better cure for rampant political insanity than finally wiping away the smog of time via ancient TV telecine analog rips to settle down with a fabulous silent masterwork like Algol or Die Strasse. Trapped in the Mine (Schlagende) is a fine little film with some bizarre conception of a rather workaday drama (the elevator operator in the mineshaft is well nigh a portent of Langian sci fi), but we've fine backchannel material there.

And of course the cruelly underrepresented Grune, Die Strasse:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:44 pm 

Well, I've no idea what keeps them from releasing these long announced releases, apart from typical Germanic perfectionism perhaps. Of course there may always be rights issues/controversies in the background that we don't know of and only perhaps learn about later. The much delayed 1913 "Student von Prag" was such a case; they ended up releasing a set with two slightly different versions in terms of intertitles and playback speed to satisfy the rightsholder of Ewers' estate (and when watching the two versions side by side, the rightsholder even seems to have been right to complain!). But I have absolutely no idea what it is that holds back this particular release: "Schlagende Wetter" was shown on arte TV years ago and it looked stunning, so the trouble - whatever it is - must be with "Algol".

That they - nor anyone else - haven't done anything about "Die Straße" is beyond me, too, but at least nothing about a resto has been announced, as sad as this is. So don't expect anything in this respect. I only know that I'd want to direct anyone to the fine digitisation of Grune's outstanding "Am Rande der Welt" (1927) starring Brigitte Helm and also Max Schreck. I really don't know why this hasn't been released yet; they'd only need to have someone play some piano to it. Well, here it is. For an English subtitled version you'd unfortunately have to consult the backchannels, though....

In any case, I'm even more waiting for the Munich Filmmuseum's finalisation of their 'work in progress' restoration of what remains of the "Homunculus" serial. And Murnau's "Gang in die Nacht", now finally announced as forthcoming (whatever that means with this label); but they've been on it restoring it for about ten years now, from what I've heard.

And where is that goddamn long-promised Barnet set?!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:52 pm 

Tommaso wrote:
And where is that goddamn long-promised Barnet set?!

... and the Otsep Living Corpse that was announced three, four years ago ... and ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:47 am 

L.A. wrote:
Kafka Goes to the Movies coming in March 2017.

Late April hopefully. Now listed as a 4-DVD set.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:06 pm 

Could you mean this newly restored version of ALGOL from the Munich Film Museum that is playing at the American CInematheque in Los Angeles on Sunday April 30?
http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... r-caligari

FIAF is in LA that weekend, so all the various archivists from around the world will be here. The American Cinematheque is doing a couple of relevant shows. (I was hoping to do another but it didn't work out.) Anyway, I trust that the screening means that the DVD will come soon.

HerrSchreck wrote:
Does anyone here (say Tommy) have any idea what in god's name ever happened w Algol from this crew? The slow drip drip drip of atomic releases from this label seems to have thickened into a flat out clog. I understand they're constrained by time and budget and a Europe fracturing like the rest of civilization into rampant political idiocy ("First 50 years of the 20th Century? WTF are the First 50 Years of the 20th Century??--doomed to repeat what???").

But there's no better cure for rampant political insanity than finally wiping away the smog of time via ancient TV telecine analog rips to settle down with a fabulous silent masterwork like Algol or Die Strasse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:09 pm 

L.A. wrote:
L.A. wrote:
Kafka Goes to the Movies coming in March 2017.

Late April hopefully. Now listed as a 4-DVD set.

Pushed to May but the contents are now listed. Looks superb!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:29 pm 

As I have several to pick up for the pre-20s project- is there a cheap place to buy these, or should I just bite the bullet and buy them from Amazon?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:43 pm 

Check all the European Amazons for the best deal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:57 pm 

Also check jpc.de. Often they are a few Euros cheaper, especially with newly released 2-disc-sets from Edition Filmmuseum.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:49 pm 

Filmmuseum themselves are also pretty good and have a great staff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:42 pm 

HerrSchreck wrote:

But there's no better cure for rampant political insanity than finally wiping away the smog of time via ancient TV telecine analog rips to settle down with a fabulous silent masterwork like Algol or Die Strasse.
Adam wrote:
Could you mean this newly restored version of ALGOL from the Munich Film Museum that is playing at the American CInematheque in Los Angeles on Sunday April 30?
http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... r-caligari

FIAF is in LA that weekend, so all the various archivists from around the world will be here. The American Cinematheque is doing a couple of relevant shows. (I was hoping to do another but it didn't work out.) Anyway, I trust that the screening means that the DVD will come soon.

American Cinematheque article including information on the restoration of 'Algol' here. Hopefully the DVD will be on its way out soon...

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:59 pm 

neilist wrote:
Heiner Carow's 'Die Russen kommen' and 'Karriere' due March 2017.

Quote:
Edition Filmmuseum 107
Heiner Carow's powerful film The Russians Are Coming, about the final days of World War II, was made in the GDR in 1968. However, it did not receive state authorization for release at the time and could only be painstakingly reconstructed in 1987. This double DVD presents a new, restored version of the film and allows viewers their first ever opportunity to compare it with Career (1971), in which Heiner Carow made use of parts of the unreleased material from The Russians Are Coming.

Anyone have this yet? Any issues with the transfers?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26