Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
JSC

Re: Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

#2051 Post by JSC » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:49 pm

This subject came up when they released Contempt. Most StudioCanal discs now have this
warning, doesn't matter what film.

furbicide

#2052 Post by furbicide » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:36 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:50 am
The cynic in me thinks that studios will just start putting these bland, broad trigger warnings before every film they release, even the most innocuous, just in case someone somewhere is offended by anything at all in the film. They’ll say, “Well, we did warn you.”
I don’t think you’re being cynical at all – in fact, it seems like that’s exactly what’s happening here!

Interesting (and even slightly alarming) context about UK TV, jlnight. Again, nothing against content warnings of pretty much any kind for any reason, but there is something insulting to audiences in all of this – and perhaps to the filmmakers too, because how we approach a work is probably at least somewhat subconsciously shaped by stuff like this (I know I had this warning in the back of my mind throughout watching The Long Farewell and kind of wondering what this offensive/outdated material could possibly be).

jlnight

#2053 Post by jlnight » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:04 am

Right, I've had a look at what the BBFC said about Brief Encounters and they claimed:
There are metaphorical references to 'savage' cannibal tribes, as well as use of the term 'gypsy'.
It was passed as a PG, as a screenshot of the cover in this thread confirms, but they could have bumped it up to a '12' if it was really a problem.

Not sure what the issue would be for The Long Farewell, although:
a teenage boy tries to repeatedly kiss a girl on the lips but she pushes him away laughing.
I have no idea how it plays out onscreen. The fall-out from the Women's Football World Cup final indicate that those type of actions might be deemed unacceptable nowadays.

In any case StudioCanal and other companies probably receive feedback from customers and respond with the content warnings. It might be better than dismissing the concerns out of hand.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2054 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:00 am

JSC wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:49 pm
This subject came up when they released Contempt. Most StudioCanal discs now have this
While one did, the other seven films in the Tavernier box have no warnings, so I don’t think this is as widespread as that

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2055 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:49 pm

furbicide wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:36 pm
Matt wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:50 am
The cynic in me thinks that studios will just start putting these bland, broad trigger warnings before every film they release, even the most innocuous, just in case someone somewhere is offended by anything at all in the film. They’ll say, “Well, we did warn you.”
I don’t think you’re being cynical at all – in fact, it seems like that’s exactly what’s happening here!

Interesting (and even slightly alarming) context about UK TV, jlnight. Again, nothing against content warnings of pretty much any kind for any reason, but there is something insulting to audiences in all of this – and perhaps to the filmmakers too, because how we approach a work is probably at least somewhat subconsciously shaped by stuff like this (I know I had this warning in the back of my mind throughout watching The Long Farewell and kind of wondering what this offensive/outdated material could possibly be).
In a perfect world, illeterate-to-picture people wouldn't need such bland generic warnings, which is some kind of "a stupid answer to a stupid reaction", but personnally, I think that if it's what required for labels to be at ease within their work and for such viewers to be warned beforehand "we told you", it might not be such a bad situation after all.

bottlesofsmoke

#2056 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:22 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:37 am
I mentioned this a few months back, but there’s a racism warning on Studio Canal’s disc of Coup de torchon. None of the other Tavernier films in the set had a warning
Warner Archive’s new Blu-ray of Gentleman Jim has a similar warning. I haven’t watched any other of WAC most recent discs but this is the first time I’ve seen it on a non-cartoon release from them. Certainly something like Santa Fe Trail would have warranted one if the few seconds of an extra in blackface in Gentleman Jim did. I suppose if it is making them more comfortable releasing A Day at the Races or as Domino said in the WAC thread, the remaining Garland-Rooney-Berkeley musicals, I can’t complain, not that I would have any way.

Tuppence

#2057 Post by Tuppence » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:01 am

JSC wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:49 pm
Interestingly, at least on the UHD, there is no such warning when you watch the film via the French or German menus. So this is something being requested specifically by the UK office.

What A Disgrace

#2058 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:33 am

The Lavender Hill Mob Is the next Ealing comedy to get a 4K Blu-ray release, on the 22nd of April.

Finch

#2059 Post by Finch » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:08 am

Also, a 4k of Kind Hearts and Coronets but without the tat.

What A Disgrace

#2060 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:38 am

They blew their "big fancy packaging" load for Kind Hearts five years ago, on a Blu-ray, though that edition is still in print as far as I can tell. I wonder if Whiskey Galore! and The Man In the White Suit will qualify for UHD releases, and surely Dead of Night will.

MichaelB

#2061 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:12 am

What A Disgrace wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:38 am
I wonder if Whiskey Galore! and The Man In the White Suit will qualify for UHD releases, and surely Dead of Night will.
Very likely indeed, and Passport to Pimlico too - there's really nothing to choose between the great Ealing comedies in terms of reputation and popularity.

Lesser Ealing comedies like Hue and Cry and The Titfield Thunderbolt might be more of a surprise, but the above-mentioned titles definitely won't be.

Stefan Andersson

#2062 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:09 am

The Great Flamarion (Anthony Mann) has been shown recently at the Cinématheque Francaise, in "a brilliant Canal Plus digital presentation, based on a master from the British Film Institute. Only fleeting moments were seemingly retrieved from inferior sources."

Source:
https://anttialanenfilmdiary.blogspot.com/ -April 07, 2024 post

Maltic

#2063 Post by Maltic » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:24 am

bottlesofsmoke wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:22 am
Warner Archive’s new Blu-ray of Gentleman Jim has a similar warning. I haven’t watched any other of WAC most recent discs but this is the first time I’ve seen it on a non-cartoon release from them. Certainly something like Santa Fe Trail would have warranted one if the few seconds of an extra in blackface in Gentleman Jim did. I suppose if it is making them more comfortable releasing A Day at the Races or as Domino said in the WAC thread, the remaining Garland-Rooney-Berkeley musicals, I can’t complain, not that I would have any way.

As Joe Dante has said, they should put a warning on all the old movies.

Finch

#2064 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:58 pm

The Small Back Room is getting a Blu-Ray from SC based on a 4K restoration on June 3. Maybe Criterion will upgrade their DVD.

NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
NEW - Restoring The Small Back Room
NEW - A Tortured Hero: Kevin Macdonald on The Small Back Room
NEW - Defusing The Archers: Ian Christie on The Small Back Room
Audio Commentary featuring film scholar Charles Barr
Interview with cinematographer Christoper Challis
The Making of An Englishman
Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

ryannichols7

#2065 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:42 pm

looks pretty definitive. if Criterion released it, I'm gonna guess they won't include the new Macdonald and Christie extras

Matt

Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

#2066 Post by Matt » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:02 pm

It would almost certainly just be a format upgrade for them and not a new edition.

Stefan Andersson

#2067 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:44 pm

Comparisons between theatrical, restored and Reprise cuts of One from the Heart:
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=163831
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=679411

hearthesilence

#2068 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:47 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:33 am
The Lavender Hill Mob Is the next Ealing comedy to get a 4K Blu-ray release, on the 22nd of April.
Film Forum has been screening the trailer for the upcoming theatrical release of the same 4K restoration and it looks great - but I have to say the optical printer shots do look lousy. No getting around it though given the nature of those shots, so it's not a complaint so much as a disclaimer.