Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
peerpee
not perpee

Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

#1 Post by peerpee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:57 pm

Jeux Interdits / Forbidden Games - French Studio Canal disc

It must be around 2 years ago now that I saw the French disc of this wonderful Clement film. I remember a thread on one of the old Criterion boards about how there were missing scenes from the end of the film.

I seem to remember it was Flixy who first brought this up? Can't remember.

I saw the film again recently, along with the alternate ending extra, and wondered exactly what the beef was again? Anybody?

peerpee
not perpee

#2 Post by peerpee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:15 pm

I'm not getting it confused with the murder scene in LA BETE HUMAINE. I definitely remember hearing about missing scenes in Studio Canal's JEUX INTERDITS, to do with the little girl, I think. Can anybody remember?

(Yes, the French disc has English subs)

kieslowski_67

#3 Post by kieslowski_67 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:38 am

Studio Canal

Along with MK2, this is my absolute favorite labels of French classics and contemporaries. Well worth a thread by itself.

Arn777

#4 Post by Arn777 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:41 am

This week they release what might be the definitive edition of My name is nobody, with commentary track by Valerii in Italian, documenatries, etc.

otis

#5 Post by otis » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:27 pm

This new edition of Partie de campagne looks rather lovely. Loads more extras (including twice the quantity of tests, alternate & discarded takes) than the BFI (forced subtitles) version.

godardslave

#6 Post by godardslave » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:05 pm

i make it over 3 hours of extras, very nice.

the standard for extras is definitely continuing to rise, i think largely thanks to criterion setting the standard others now feel they have to match.

Gordon

#7 Post by Gordon » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:29 pm

Studio Canal seem to have high standards in regard to transfers - and extras, when they put their minds to it. Also, when they release certain titles in France, it is sometimes a good indication that we will see a similar DVD release in the USA or the UK, from the same hi-def master. Quite a few Criterion transfers have actually originated from SC masters, with some subtle tweaking, I believe.

Their Bunuel Collection looks amazing, but their La Belle et la Bete isn't listed yet.

peerpee
not perpee

#8 Post by peerpee » Fri May 05, 2006 6:29 pm

Optimum Releasing

Have just been bought by Canal +

ellipsis7

#9 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat May 06, 2006 3:54 am

Will this mean eventually all Studio Canal titles will be released thru Optimum in UK/Ireland, rather than licensing to other distribution companies, I wonder?

peerpee
not perpee

#10 Post by peerpee » Sat May 06, 2006 12:01 pm

Yes, that's the whole point.

Studio Canal haven't been licensing anything to UK companies for over a year because they had been working out how they could setup themselves in the UK.

ellipsis7

#11 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat May 06, 2006 12:34 pm

So they will be able to use the same transfers and masters as their French issues, just altering menus and packaging and adding Eng subs...

Things like their recent Coffret Renoir could be ported across easily...

[quote]StudioCanal deal will help Optimum become bigger

Geoffrey Macnab in London 05 May 2006 09:00

Further details have emerged of how UK distributor Optimum Releasing is going to expand following its acquisition by French major, StudioCanal.

Optimum's managing director Will Clarke refused to say how much StudioCanal paid for the company he founded in 1999, but rival distributors were speculating that it could have been as much as $31.7m (Euros 25m). Whatever the true figure, it is a huge return on the $22,190 (£12,000) that Chairman Paul Higgins invested to get the company off the ground seven years ago.

“It's a decent amount of money for the operation we've built,â€

Matt

#12 Post by Matt » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:18 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:Note: Optimum said it now plans to release up to 400 DVD titles this year alone.
This will take a small bite out of that number:
DVD Times wrote:Optimum Home Entertainment have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of The Definitive Ealing Studios Collection for 2nd October 2006 priced at £119.99. Made in the 1940s and 1950s, the films in this set feature the best of British actors such as Alec Guinness, Sid James, Dennis Price, Herbert Lom, Peter Sellers, Cecil Parker, Frankie Howard, James Fox, Michael Redgrave and Joan Greenwood. As well as the much-loved classic comedies, this definitive collection includes less well known Ealing efforts such as spooky thriller Dead of Night and Dickens' classic Nicholas Nickleby. These English classics have hugely influenced filmmaking in the UK and around the world and have become an important part of world celluloid history.

The films included in this 16-disc set are: Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man in the White Suit, The Magnet, Passport to Pimlico, The Titfield Thunderbolt, Whisky Galore, Champagne Charlie, Dead of Night, The Maggie, Scott of the Antarctic, Nicholas Nickleby, Went the Day Well, Hue and Cry and It Always Rains on a Sunday.

Each title comes to this box set fully restored and will also be available separately on 13th November 2006.
Source: DVD Times

tryavna

#13 Post by tryavna » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:36 pm

Thanks for that, Matt. I wonder if the set will include the special edition of Whisky Galore with all the extras? If some of them remain bare-bones, then there's probably no reason to update the fine R1 Anchor Bays, but quite a few have not seen light in R1 (Scott of the Antarctic, It Always Rains on Sunday, etc.).

BTW, Optimum's Classics page has been updated, and they list the Ealing stuff. Apparently, there will be several smaller boxsets in addtion to the big one. Also, they're re-releasing some of the war films that Warner gave rather disappointing R2 releases (Ice Cold in Alex, etc.). Hope these re-releases will be markedly improved.

foggy eyes

#14 Post by foggy eyes » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:43 am

Optimum appear to be releasing Night and the City next year. Wasn't this supposed to be released in the UK by BFI? I remember seeing it in one of their catalogues a while ago.

Subbuteo

#15 Post by Subbuteo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:17 am

But thats not the Dassin, its the so-called remake!

Darth Lavender

#16 Post by Darth Lavender » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:04 pm

I wouldn't be too hopeful here. Universal has been releasing Studio/Canal DVDs for a while in Australia, and most of the time we get no extras and edited films (just bought Cronenberg's "The Brood" yesterday, only to discover after a quick search of the internet that it's the edited version. Needless to say, I'll be taking that back to the store and getting the Region 1)

foggy eyes

#17 Post by foggy eyes » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:30 pm

Subbuteo wrote:But thats not the Dassin, its the so-called remake!
This is very true. I have no idea why I didn't check the link. #-o

tryavna

#18 Post by tryavna » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:17 pm

Recently received and watched Optimum's (re-)release of the classic and influential Ealing crime drama The Blue Lamp, and I must say I was very pleased. Unedited print in near-pristine condition, though no extras for one of the key post-war British films. Looks like it's superior to the earlier R2 release by Warner. This bodes well for the Optimum-StudioCanal partnership, and I'll be picking up some more of the Ealing titles they're releasing individually next week.

Gordon

#19 Post by Gordon » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:26 pm

I have been meaning to check out The Blue Lamp, since I read the DVD Beaver review. Gordon Dines (The Cruel Sea) was the cinematographer and the art direction was by Jim Morahan (The Ladykillers, The Cruel Sea, The Man in the White Suit, Whisky Galore!, Witchfinder General). According to the IMDb, this was the first (British? what about USA?) film to include the word "bastard", which wouldn't surprise me for 1950.

tryavna

#20 Post by tryavna » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:36 pm

Two quick announcements:

1.) I've posted in the Joseph Losey thread that Optimum will be releasing The Go-Between in late January.

2.) For Gordon and anyone else who's interested, BlahDVD seem to be having a special on the individual Ealing titles Optimum released on Monday. Most of the titles are 5.99 (with free shipping).

mario gauci

#21 Post by mario gauci » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:24 pm

Being the owner of Gaumont's LE DVDs of Louis Feuillade's FANTOMAS (1913-14) and Marcel L'Herbier's EL DORADO (1921), I know that only too well but, in the case of these upcoming Bunuels, since they are originally in Spanish and these are ostensibly French releases, I suppose that at least French subtitles will be included so that "Aucun Sous-Titre" bit must be wrong. I guess this is yet another case when all those French-language lessons in secondary school of 15 years ago come in handy...

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:58 am

Since that link doesn't give an audio language and format, I'm guessing the entry hasn't been completed yet.

Because if it genuinely had no subtitles whatsoever, this means that the set must be in dubbed French - and I can't see that being too popular with what I presume is Gaumont's target market!

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#23 Post by Caligula » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:30 am

Can anyone comment on the quality of the recently released War Collection sets (3 x 3 films, or 1 x 12 films)?

tryavna

#24 Post by tryavna » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:58 pm

I've been putting off these sets because I didn't want too much overlap with some of my R1 titles. However, I've just noticed that Optimum will be releasing most of the individual titles from these sets separately in late January. Here, for example, is the entry for the excellent Ice Cold in Alex. (Unfortunately, however, they don't seem to have any plans for releasing the films available only trhough the 12-disc set: The Way Ahead, etc.) So looks like it won't be until early February that I get around to checking these discs out.

If they're anything like the Ealing titles I've gotten so far though, they should be fine.

brunosh

#25 Post by brunosh » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:33 am

mario gauci wrote:I'd like to ask about DEATH IN THE GARDEN (1956), however: since this one isn't in the Box Set, has this been cancelled or was it never officially announced anywhere? For the record, I still haven't gotten hold of the two latest Bunuel DVDs from Yume because of their hefty price tag. Does anybody know if the Yume catalogue gets discounted during one of those ongoing "World Cinema" offers from Play.com, Bensonsworld, HMV, etc.
Mario - Apologies for starting a hare on Death in the Garden - DVD Reviewer's news item included it in the boxset contents, wrongly it seems. As a London resident, I console myself with the news that it can be seen at the NFT Bunuel season in January 2007.

Other Yume Pictures' DVDs (Blind Beast, After Midnight) are reduced in current bargain sales at Play and Amazon UK, so presumably the Bunuels will be at some point.

P&p aside, the Bunuel box pre-order is even cheaper at Benson, HMV and Amazon UK than at Play.