It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:19 am 

Fantastic news. Is this the first Will Hay film on Blu?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:46 pm 

Hello.
I'd like to ask, who releases Studio Canal Blurays in USA?
I saw screenshots from Indochine, and getting past the "Ritrovata colors", I see there's much compression (especially evident in dark places)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:25 pm 

Lionsgate has the StudioCanal titles in the US and their releases are always straight ports of StudioCanal's releases.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:09 am 

Blu-ray version of "Diva" has been released by Studio Canal with German subtitles. Who has rights to release this in UK? Any chance Arrow or Eureka MoC might issue it? Could Criterion get in in Region A?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:35 am 

kekid wrote:
Blu-ray version of "Diva" has been released by Studio Canal with German subtitles. Who has rights to release this in UK? Any chance Arrow or Eureka MoC might issue it? Could Criterion get in in Region A?

The thread title might give a teensy clue as to who owns the UK rights...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:58 am 

MichaelB wrote:
kekid wrote:

The thread title might give a teensy clue as to who owns the UK rights...

Fair enough. However, in Region A Studio Canal titles have been issued by several labels. I just was not sure if they occasionally license their titles to select labels in UK. I take it from your response that the answer is "no".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:09 pm 

StudioCanal operates in the UK as well, and they generally don't sublicense their stuff (as I know first-hand, both from trying to get The Masque of the Red Death included in Arrow's Corman/Poe box, and their extras for Three Days of the Condor when I put together the Eureka package).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:30 am 

eerik wrote:

Trailer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:31 am 

eerik wrote:

I've never seen any Fellini film.
Should I start with this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:54 am 

Yes! Great intro to the director.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:35 am 

Oh man, I know it's usually the first one people see (it was certainly the first film I saw from Fellini) but honestly, I'm not a fan.

It put him on the map commercially, and because of its popularity it became one of the more visible films during the U.S. boom in world cinema in the 1950s and '60s, but Masina's performance is an acquired taste and the whole thing is pretty schematic. Masina is much, much better in Fellini's The Nights of Cabiria - that film and I Vitelloni are possibly my favorite early Fellini films. I would actually watch I Vitelloni as an introduction (maybe even The White Sheik) and after those three see 8 1/2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:56 am 
Dot Com Dom

La strada and I Vitelloni are both okay but would not leave me wanting to see more by the director (and indeed La strada was one of the first I saw). Had I seen La dolce vita or Nights of Cabiria first instead of on the tail end, I would have surely been more eager to seek out additional Fellini films

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:10 pm 

IIRC I started with 8 1/2, which I enjoyed a lot while it took me 3 trials to go through La dolce vita (which ended up being much later).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:15 pm 

My first Fellini was Satyricon :( . Don't start there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:36 pm 

Orchestra Rehearsal for me - which, incidentally, I really liked...

... more than I did either I Vitelloni or 8 1/2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:40 pm 

Perhaps Il bidone would be a good entry point? It's a riveting film, and doesn't come with all the canonical baggage of the more obvious options.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:45 pm 

La Strada has some good moments, but Masina's aping of the Chaplin persona is off-putting, especially given that she is suppose to be a talented clown despite being flatly unfunny. The unearned howls of laughter emanating from every audience she performs for is manipulative and a detriment to the film.

For me, La Dolce Vita is the all-out Fellini masterpiece, but it's more episodic than his earlier films and the three-hour length might be intimidating to newcomers to the director's canon. I would agree with others here that I Vitelloni or Nights of Cabiria might be the best place to start.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:49 pm 

La Strada would be a better place to start than, say, 8 1/2, which was my first Fellini - I found it a bit overwhelming as a neophyte to his style.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:30 pm 

Werewolf by Night wrote:
My first Fellini was Satyricon :( . Don't start there.
That was not only my introduction to Fellini but my introduction to weird foreign movies.
I instantly became a fan of both.
Personally I prefer the visual extravagance of Fellini's Satyricon - Amarcord - Roma - Casanova period to the earlier, more realistic stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm 

Quick question - has Studio Canal been sitting on La Strada all this time (since they took back the rights from Criterion)? Except for 8 1/2, I would guess that it used to get more rentals/viewers than any of his other titles - they really dropped the ball by waiting this long. EDIT: never mind, I noticed a bare bones DVD is available in the States.

Anyway, regardless of your taste, La Strada should be seen if you want to know Fellini's work, as well as The White Sheik, The Nights of Cabiria (only available as a burn-on-demand title - pretty ridiculous considering the quality of Criterion's release, now OOP thanks to Studio Canal), I Vitelloni, La Dolce Vita, 8 1/2, Roma and Amarcord.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:48 pm 

It wouldn't surprise me if Criterion announces La Strada in next few months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 pm 

hearthesilence wrote:
Quick question - has Studio Canal been sitting on La Strada all this time (since they took back the rights from Criterion)? Except for 8 1/2, I would guess that it used to get more rentals/viewers than any of his other titles - they really dropped the ball by waiting this long. EDIT: never mind, I noticed a bare bones DVD is available in the States.

Criterion's 2-disc special edition of La Strada is still in print. The film is still with Janus Films in the US.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:27 pm 

hearthesilence wrote:

Anyway, regardless of your taste, La Strada should be seen if you want to know Fellini's work, as well as The White Sheik, The Nights of Cabiria (only available as a burn-on-demand title - pretty ridiculous considering the quality of Criterion's release, now OOP thanks to Studio Canal), I Vitelloni, La Dolce Vita, 8 1/2, Roma and Amarcord.

"Nights of Cabiria" is still available on a DVD every bit as good as the Criterion from Studio Canal themselves. Although it is region 2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:36 pm 

dwk wrote:
Criterion's 2-disc special edition of La Strada is still in print. The film is still with Janus Films in the US.

Ah, was way off - never mind then!
tojoed wrote:
"Nights of Cabiria" is still available on a DVD every bit as good as the Criterion from Studio Canal themselves. Although it is region 2.

I noticed it was in-print elsewhere around the world, but it's still OOP here in the States. Good that a DVD with a good transfer can be had and region-free players are common, but really it should be put back into print in the U.S.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:52 am 

Blu-rays of Lola (Fassbinder), Loot, Diary of a Chambermaid (Buñuel), Tristana and Entertaining Mr. Sloane have been announced as forthcoming.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next