Second Sight Films (UK)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
perkizitore

Re: Second Sight Films (UK)

#301 Post by perkizitore » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:22 pm

zedz

#302 Post by zedz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:53 pm

And it's two discs. Their previous DVD of the film, with a bunch of extras, was only one, and they could easily include the alternate version of the film on a single BluRay, so could they possibly have obtained all those amazing outtakes?

Adam X

#303 Post by Adam X » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:47 pm

Really happy with this "announcement". Hopefully they've got Daniel Bird & David Mackenzie involved.

ozufils

#304 Post by ozufils » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:58 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/AS ... /ref=nosim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , some good stuff from second sight films

kidc85

#305 Post by kidc85 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:58 am

zedz wrote:
And it's two discs. Their previous DVD of the film, with a bunch of extras, was only one, and they could easily include the alternate version of the film on a single BluRay, so could they possibly have obtained all those amazing outtakes?
Before we get too excited, two discs could just mean dual format. Fingers and toes crossed it's what you suggesting though.
Adam Grikepelis wrote:Really happy with this "announcement". Hopefully they've got Daniel Bird & David Mackenzie involved.
And James Steffe, of course.

rapta

#306 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Their recent 'Limited Edition' releases have tended to just be Dual Format editions of the standard release, with a slipcover/slipbox and art cards. I assume this will be the same situation - at least, I'd be surprised if the extras can't fit on the first disc.

Very happy they're releasing this one though, assuming it's the 4K restoration from WCP. Would that be a worldwide debut?

PS: also up for Heimat and Berlin Alexanderplatz eventually, but reckon they'll be expensive to pre-order. Wonder if they'll also do World on a Wire, or let the rights lapse, allowing Criterion to port theirs over here?

Adam X

#307 Post by Adam X » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 am

rapta wrote:Very happy they're releasing this one though, assuming it's the 4K restoration from WCP.
According to this it is.

Calvin

#308 Post by Calvin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:44 pm

Full specs to be announced on Monday.

L.A.

#309 Post by L.A. » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:20 pm

The Criterion DVD box had the 1931 film version. Wonder whether this set would include it as well?

Calvin

#310 Post by Calvin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:31 am

Features:
'Fassbinder: Love Without Demands’ - The acclaimed 2015 feature length documentary by Christian Braad Thomsen
An appreciation by writer and critic Tony Rayns
Berlin Alexanderplatz - A Visual Essay by Daniel Bird
‘A Mega Movie and it’s Story’ documentary by Juliane Lorenz
'The Restoration' documentary including ‘before and after’
The Original Recaps
Stills and Production Photos
Berlinale 2007 trailer

50 page perfect bound booklet:
New essay by Cahiers Du Cinema’s Stephane du Mesnildot
‘Christ, Rainer’ by Wim Wenders
Essay by Thomas Elsasser (excerpted from his book Fassbinder's Germany: History, Identity, Subject)
Excerpt from Christian Braad Thomsen’s ‘Fassbinder'
Michael Hofmann’s Times Literary Supplement review of Berlin Alexanderplatz
On paper, this looks like the most impressive Second Sight release I can think of.

Zot!

#311 Post by Zot! » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:46 am

Is it a 25fps presentation for Alexanderplatz?

GaryC

#312 Post by GaryC » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 am

Zot! wrote:Is it a 25fps presentation for Alexanderplatz?
Someone asked this question on Second Sight's Facebook page. The answer is yes, and the same for Heimat too.

Zot!

#313 Post by Zot! » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:03 am

Cool! Cue the complaining and general dissent.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#314 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:18 am

Oooh, I would've probably just waited for the eventual Criterion, but I'll have to get this too now.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#315 Post by tenia » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 am

Zot! wrote:Cool! Cue the complaining and general dissent.
More than anything, I'm wondering how the restoration looks, because I don't think it had received much advertising so far.

Calvin

#316 Post by Calvin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:51 am

I imagine that Second Sight will be using the same transfer as the recent German release, screencaps here

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#317 Post by tenia » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:28 am

Calvin wrote:I imagine that Second Sight will be using the same transfer as the recent German release, screencaps here
I missed this. Thanks for the link !
Based on this, it looks quite good.

L.A.

#318 Post by L.A. » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:03 pm

From their Facebook page:
We can confirm the full contents of THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES LIMITED EDITION BOX SET which will be available 20th November;

The Film Foundation restoration of Parajanov’s ‘Armenian’ Cut

Feature length subtitle commentary by James Steffen, author of The Cinema of Sergei Parajanov, and adviser on the new Film Foundation restoration

Kiev Frescoes – Parajanov short film; restored and available for the first time

Kiev Frescoes subtitle commentary by Daniel Bird, adviser on the new Film Foundation restoration

Pomegranates Rediscovered: Cecilia Cenciarelli of Bologna Cineteca on the multi-national effort to save The Colour of Pomegranates

Free Parajanov! Featurette on Parajanov's imprisonment

Poetry, Pomegranates and Parajanov: A new appreciation by Daniel Bird

The World is a Window: The Making of the Colour of Pomegranates (now with removable subtitles)

100pp soft cover book

Packed in rigid slipcase

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#319 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:27 pm

Nice job keeping mum on your commentary, jsteffe!

jsteffe

#320 Post by jsteffe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 pm

There will be some cool stuff in the book, too...

Calvin

#321 Post by Calvin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 am

HEIMAT, COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES, BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ update.

We've been working hard in the hope of releasing these Limited Edition Box Sets before Christmas. However, as our research and production has progressed, the projects have grown and grown, and we just can’t say no when another eleventh hour opportunity arises to include something special. We want to do these classic titles justice, which means we won't be able to meet our original release dates. We will be finalising new dates shortly which will be announced here first, along with the full specifications and special features. We believe that the end products will justify the wait and we hope you'll agree.
I'm surprised "something special" came up for all three, but I've got my fingers crossed for the Yutkevich cut of The Colour of Pomegranates +/- the rushes that were broadcast on RAI.

kekid

#322 Post by kekid » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Calvin wrote:
HEIMAT, COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES, BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ update.

We've been working hard in the hope of releasing these Limited Edition Box Sets before Christmas. However, as our research and production has progressed, the projects have grown and grown, and we just can’t say no when another eleventh hour opportunity arises to include something special. We want to do these classic titles justice, which means we won't be able to meet our original release dates. We will be finalising new dates shortly which will be announced here first, along with the full specifications and special features. We believe that the end products will justify the wait and we hope you'll agree.
I'm surprised "something special" came up for all three, but I've got my fingers crossed for the Yutkevich cut of The Colour of Pomegranates +/- the rushes that were broadcast on RAI.
Amazon and Second Sight's own site continue to reflect the original dates. Has there been any update?

Finch

#323 Post by Finch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 pm

From the bookface:
THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES: LIMITED EDITION BOX SET. Thanks for your support as we put together the best possible release for this classic film. Pleased to announce that we also now include the ‘Yutkevich Cut’, using The Film Foundation’s restored materials, plus the 60 minute documentary, ‘Parajanov: A Requiem’, in addition to all the features we have already announced. Release date is 29th January 2018.

kompromiss

#324 Post by kompromiss » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:51 pm

kekid wrote: Amazon and Second Sight's own site continue to reflect the original dates. Has there been any update?
According to amazon.co.uk, "Berlin Alexanderplatz" has been delayed until March 12, 2018.

Cremildo

#325 Post by Cremildo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Cover art, designed by Sam Ashby: