It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:08 am 

Pure speculation, but I've always thought it was a result of a director more interested in the visuals than the performances. Many British performers have a tendency for ham if left alone (the likes of Lionel Blair and Steven Berkoff need no encouragement). And maybe the young were chosen because of their looks rather than acting ability. Without direction they just recited their lines.

The film is very stylistic so the hamming - I could be polite and call it the raised level of performance - fits fairly well. The woodenness of the male and female juvenile leads however remains a liability.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 am 

From Facebook:

Quote:
We’re very excited to be working on Blu-ray releases of two German epics for later in the year: Fassbinder’s BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ and the new restoration of Reitz’s HEIMAT. We have a busy summer ahead with a lot planned for both releases. More release announcements to year end to follow shortly….

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:45 pm 

Is Creepshow going to be reissued like Re-animator was after the LE sold out?

Or have the rights expired?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:54 pm 

I missed out on Creepshow, so I'm hoping they either do re-release it, or Arrow have nabbed the rights.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:22 pm 

The Colour Of Pomegranates on blu-ray!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:53 pm 

perkizitore wrote:

And it's two discs. Their previous DVD of the film, with a bunch of extras, was only one, and they could easily include the alternate version of the film on a single BluRay, so could they possibly have obtained all those amazing outtakes?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:47 pm 

Really happy with this "announcement". Hopefully they've got Daniel Bird & David Mackenzie involved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:58 pm 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/AS ... /ref=nosim , some good stuff from second sight films

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:58 am 

zedz wrote:
perkizitore wrote:

And it's two discs. Their previous DVD of the film, with a bunch of extras, was only one, and they could easily include the alternate version of the film on a single BluRay, so could they possibly have obtained all those amazing outtakes?

Before we get too excited, two discs could just mean dual format. Fingers and toes crossed it's what you suggesting though.

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Really happy with this "announcement". Hopefully they've got Daniel Bird & David Mackenzie involved.

And James Steffe, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:44 pm 

Their recent 'Limited Edition' releases have tended to just be Dual Format editions of the standard release, with a slipcover/slipbox and art cards. I assume this will be the same situation - at least, I'd be surprised if the extras can't fit on the first disc.

Very happy they're releasing this one though, assuming it's the 4K restoration from WCP. Would that be a worldwide debut?

PS: also up for Heimat and Berlin Alexanderplatz eventually, but reckon they'll be expensive to pre-order. Wonder if they'll also do World on a Wire, or let the rights lapse, allowing Criterion to port theirs over here?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 am 

rapta wrote:
Very happy they're releasing this one though, assuming it's the 4K restoration from WCP.

According to this it is.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:44 pm 

Full specs to be announced on Monday.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:20 pm 

The Criterion DVD box had the 1931 film version. Wonder whether this set would include it as well?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:31 am 

Quote:
Features:
'Fassbinder: Love Without Demands’ - The acclaimed 2015 feature length documentary by Christian Braad Thomsen
An appreciation by writer and critic Tony Rayns
Berlin Alexanderplatz - A Visual Essay by Daniel Bird
‘A Mega Movie and it’s Story’ documentary by Juliane Lorenz
'The Restoration' documentary including ‘before and after’
The Original Recaps
Stills and Production Photos
Berlinale 2007 trailer

50 page perfect bound booklet:
New essay by Cahiers Du Cinema’s Stephane du Mesnildot
‘Christ, Rainer’ by Wim Wenders
Essay by Thomas Elsasser (excerpted from his book Fassbinder's Germany: History, Identity, Subject)
Excerpt from Christian Braad Thomsen’s ‘Fassbinder'
Michael Hofmann’s Times Literary Supplement review of Berlin Alexanderplatz

On paper, this looks like the most impressive Second Sight release I can think of.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:46 am 

Is it a 25fps presentation for Alexanderplatz?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 am 

Zot! wrote:
Is it a 25fps presentation for Alexanderplatz?

Someone asked this question on Second Sight's Facebook page. The answer is yes, and the same for Heimat too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:03 am 

Cool! Cue the complaining and general dissent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:18 am 

Oooh, I would've probably just waited for the eventual Criterion, but I'll have to get this too now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 am 

Zot! wrote:
Cool! Cue the complaining and general dissent.

More than anything, I'm wondering how the restoration looks, because I don't think it had received much advertising so far.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:51 am 

I imagine that Second Sight will be using the same transfer as the recent German release, screencaps here

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:28 am 

Calvin wrote:
I imagine that Second Sight will be using the same transfer as the recent German release, screencaps here

I missed this. Thanks for the link !
Based on this, it looks quite good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:03 pm 

From their Facebook page:

Quote:
We can confirm the full contents of THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES LIMITED EDITION BOX SET which will be available 20th November;

The Film Foundation restoration of Parajanov’s ‘Armenian’ Cut

Feature length subtitle commentary by James Steffen, author of The Cinema of Sergei Parajanov, and adviser on the new Film Foundation restoration

Kiev Frescoes – Parajanov short film; restored and available for the first time

Kiev Frescoes subtitle commentary by Daniel Bird, adviser on the new Film Foundation restoration

Pomegranates Rediscovered: Cecilia Cenciarelli of Bologna Cineteca on the multi-national effort to save The Colour of Pomegranates

Free Parajanov! Featurette on Parajanov's imprisonment

Poetry, Pomegranates and Parajanov: A new appreciation by Daniel Bird

The World is a Window: The Making of the Colour of Pomegranates (now with removable subtitles)

100pp soft cover book

Packed in rigid slipcase

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:27 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Nice job keeping mum on your commentary, jsteffe!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 pm 

There will be some cool stuff in the book, too...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 am 

Quote:
HEIMAT, COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES, BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ update.

We've been working hard in the hope of releasing these Limited Edition Box Sets before Christmas. However, as our research and production has progressed, the projects have grown and grown, and we just can’t say no when another eleventh hour opportunity arises to include something special. We want to do these classic titles justice, which means we won't be able to meet our original release dates. We will be finalising new dates shortly which will be announced here first, along with the full specifications and special features. We believe that the end products will justify the wait and we hope you'll agree.

I'm surprised "something special" came up for all three, but I've got my fingers crossed for the Yutkevich cut of The Colour of Pomegranates +/- the rushes that were broadcast on RAI.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next