Lionsgate: Jean Renoir Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
HerrSchreck

#76 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:18 am

And I believe Kino licensed their vhs thru Interama as well. Isn't there a very nice R2 of CHIENNE floating around already?

ellipsis7

#77 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:36 am

Yes there's an excellent box set from France (no subs) containing LA CHIENNE, ON PURGE BEBE, TIRE-AU-FLANC & CATHERINE...

Is from G C T H V (and credits also - Tous Publics © Les Films du Jeudi - Les Films de la Pleiade)...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:35 pm

This'll be out on Tuesday, already got my shipping notice from Amazon... any early reviews yet?

denti alligator

#79 Post by denti alligator » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:08 pm

I'm surprised Gary at the Beaver hasn't reviewed this yet.

Gigi M.

#80 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:48 pm

jorencain

#81 Post by jorencain » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:12 pm

Mine just came in the mail today...I am in the midst of moving, so I only had about 5 free minutes to pop it in, but the quality is pretty great. The packaging is cool, and the image quality of the films is very strong. Sound is good, and there's a documentary about all 7 movies in the set. I can't wait to spend time with this set, and I'm sorry that I can't be of more help right now. But I can say confidently that it doesn't suck.

tavernier

#82 Post by tavernier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:55 pm

Dave Kehr raves in the NY Times:

[quote]This is certainly the DVD bargain of the year so far: five features and two shorts by Jean Renoir, one of the movies' genuine masters, presented in first-class restorations for the preposterous list price of $29.98 (much less from discount sellers). As Lionsgate did with its recent set of early Hitchcock films, it has leased the definitive versions of these titles from Canal Plus, the French rights holder, fitted them out with subtitles and offered them to the unwashed American masses for a fraction of the price the individual discs go for in France.

Lesser-known work from the Renoir canon, these films are drawn principally from the very beginning of his career and the very end. “Whirlpool of Fateâ€

ellipsis7

#83 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:55 am

It sounds great - Optimum R2 set upcoming also includes shorts Sur Un Air Du Charleston & La Petite Marchande d' Allumette, and all the films digitally restored, apparently, and stretches over 7 discs... Doesn't have NANA, but does have LE DEJEUNER SUR L'HERBE instead...

I'd like to see Gary da Beaver's report on the Lionsgate set - 3 discs seems like there might be some extra compression and low bit rate, or whatever, there to fit all that material in...

sevenarts

#84 Post by sevenarts » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:11 am

ellipsis7 wrote:It sounds great - Optimum R2 set upcoming also includes shorts Sur Un Air Du Charleston & La Petite Marchande d' Allumette
These are both in the Lionsgate set too -- see their English titles in the NYT review above.

I'm glad to hear that Lionsgate did a good job on this, this bodes well for the rest of their Canal holdings.

ellipsis7

#85 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:14 am

Sorry, realised that, but probably put it badly... Lionsgate also has LA FILLE D'EAU which isn't apparently on the Optimum...

Kinsayder

#86 Post by Kinsayder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:28 am

jorencain wrote:Mine just came in the mail today...I am in the midst of moving, so I only had about 5 free minutes to pop it in, but the quality is pretty great. The packaging is cool, and the image quality of the films is very strong. Sound is good, and there's a documentary about all 7 movies in the set.
Is there music for "Charleston"? The French edition plays without accompaniment. How about the other silents? Any.. ahem.. accordions?

Tommaso

#87 Post by Tommaso » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:35 am

Jorencain, if you find the time to have another quick look at the set, please tell us whether the subs are removable and what language the intertitles for the silents are in. Thanks!

Nothing

#88 Post by Nothing » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:36 am

Yup. My other concern is whether these are PAL-NTSC conversions?

J Wilson

#89 Post by J Wilson » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:49 pm

I've looked at the first disc briefly, and the intertitles are in French though WHIRLPOOL OF FATE has a prefatory segment stating that the French intertitles are adapted from English ones, as the originals were lost. Subtitles are optional. WHIRLPOOL looks like a PAL-NTSC conversion, NANA does not; my only means of judging this was from stepping through, and WHIRLPOOL showed a lot of ghosting; NANA had none.

Tommaso

#90 Post by Tommaso » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:13 am

J Wilson wrote:I've looked at the first disc briefly, and the intertitles are in French though WHIRLPOOL OF FATE has a prefatory segment stating that the French intertitles are adapted from English ones, as the originals were lost. Subtitles are optional. .
Thanks, a pleasant surprise indeed! I think I'll order it today. Especially if "Nana" looks good.

jbeall

#91 Post by jbeall » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:56 am

Amazon.com has it for $20. Even if they were PAL-NTSC conversions, $20 for five Renoir features and two shorts is an absolute steal. I've wanted to see La Marseillaise for quite some time, but it's not available in any of the local libraries.

I ordered it from amazon Tuesday and got my shipping notice today. I love the fact that I ordered this set and still had to order something else to get to the $25 minimum for free shipping!

I didn't shop around too much, but right now amazon is much cheaper than dvdplanet on this one.

skuhn8

#92 Post by skuhn8 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:32 am

I usually wait for Beaver's screen caps but couldn't resist. Just ordered. Heck, I look at it as a Renoir double bill: Nana and La Marseillaise, plus a whole mess of special features.

Tommaso

#93 Post by Tommaso » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:01 am

Have ordered mine from an ebay seller right now and paid as much for shipping to Germany as for the whole set itself (16 $ +16 $). Still cheaper than the French "Nana" alone. And I don't know any of the other films, too, so it's an incredible bargain. How do they manage to put it out at this price? And what a month May will be: this set, then the Jodorowsky set, and the MK2 'Vampyr'. And then Tartan will release "Sawdust and Tinsel"...

skuhn8

#94 Post by skuhn8 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:10 am

Tommaso wrote:Have ordered mine from an ebay seller right now and paid as much for shipping to Germany as for the whole set itself (16 $ +16 $). Still cheaper than the French "Nana" alone. And I don't know any of the other films, too, so it's an incredible bargain. How do they manage to put it out at this price? And what a month May will be: this set, then the Jodorowsky set, and the MK2 'Vampyr'. And then Tartan will release "Sawdust and Tinsel"...
why did you pay that much when you could have gotten it from amazon.com for so much less?

Tommaso

#95 Post by Tommaso » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:45 am

skuhn8 wrote:why did you pay that much when you could have gotten it from amazon.com for so much less?
Easy: 20$ + 7$ shipping from amazon= 27$ as opposed to the 32$ I paid, so it's obviously cheaper from amazon.

BUT: packages from amazon.com are extremely liable to be held up by the customs here in Germany, and apart from the fact that I might have to pay import fees this would mean I have to get that darn package from the customs office about 15 km away (and I don't have a car), and it would also mean that I get the films three weeks later than necessary because the customs are so slow. So I always try to avoid amazon.com, as many people ordering from overseas do here.

skuhn8

#96 Post by skuhn8 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:59 am

Tommaso wrote:
skuhn8 wrote:why did you pay that much when you could have gotten it from amazon.com for so much less?
Easy: 20$ + 7$ shipping from amazon= 27$ as opposed to the 32$ I paid, so it's obviously cheaper from amazon.

BUT: packages from amazon.com are extremely liable to be held up by the customs here in Germany, and apart from the fact that I might have to pay import fees this would mean I have to get that darn package from the customs office about 15 km away (and I don't have a car), and it would also mean that I get the films three weeks later than necessary because the customs are so slow. So I always try to avoid amazon.com, as many people ordering from overseas do here.
ahhh...I'll buy that. Alright, you may continue to do so; permission granted.

rwaits

#97 Post by rwaits » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:36 pm

Amazon delivered mine today and I'll just say you guys should be really pleased. From a very cursory look, both the image and sound are sharp and crisp. Not sure if these are PAL-NTSC conversions or not, but they look fantastic.

Also, the packaging is really interesting. The box is the size of a double amaray, and folds open at the top (check out a picture of the box and use your imagination). One double amaray sized case with three discs (with a cool pic of Renoir) is housed inside. I'm thrilled I got this package for less than $20!

patrick

#98 Post by patrick » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:39 pm

I'm simply shocked that Lionsgate did something of this quality, it almost seems like they're flipping the bird to Image or something. I haven't gotten too deep into this set, but kudos are definitely in order to whoever at Lionsgate got this together.

rwaits

#99 Post by rwaits » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:43 pm

By the way, when this set was announced (shortly after the Hitchcock) wasn't there speculation that Lionsgate would be releasing sets like this almost monthly? I can't seem to find the thread where this was discussed. I remember talk of a Godard box, but can't remember what else may have been in the works...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#100 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:57 pm

a Bardot box