Anchor Bay: Mario Bava Box Sets

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
ltfontaine

#151 Post by ltfontaine » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:35 am

SoyCuba wrote:So is the first box set already oop? I've had mine on backorder from Deepdiscount for a few weeks already. If it's indeed oop, it's strange that it's still available for order there.
The folks at Anchor Bay tell me that the set is not out of print and they don't understand why the title is out of stock at the major online retailers, including amazon.com. They're looking into it.

Perhaps as a result of my inquiry to Anchor Bay, referencing Deep Discount, I received this today from DD about Bava Box I:
Thank you for your recent order. Due to an overwhelming demand for the item(s) listed, we are temporarily out of stock. If you ordered with a credit card, you will not be charged until the item ships. We expect to receive this merchandise and ship your order within twenty-one days.

Maybe just mark it down to a confluence of events: the buzz about the Lucas book, even among those who can't afford to buy it; the approach of Halloween; the timing of the Deep Discount sale in proximity to release of Box II; the burgeoning market for horror on DVD; and the sheer quality of this great release.

I hope everyone's playing it straight regarding the in-print status of the set, but might hunt down a copy at a three-dimensional retailer just in case.

colinr0380

#152 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:30 pm

DVD Savant review of Volume 2.

My Man Godfrey

#153 Post by My Man Godfrey » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:09 pm

The new box is fantastic -- well worth picking up even for casual Bava fans.

However: I'm honestly amazed at how . . . "terrible" doesn't even feel strong enough . . . how audaciously crap-tastic the Lamberto Bava/Alfredo Leone recut of "Rabid Dogs" (lamely retitled "Kidnapped") is.

The original cut of "Rabid Dogs" is a real marvel; if it had been released in the 70s, it would have a towering reputation today. Even the recent tinkering with its credit sequence has paid off; the new credits look very seventies, and they're fun in the same way that Bava's "Blood and Black Lace" credits are.

On the DVD, Leone gloats about how he saved the movie by forcing Lamberto to shoot a bunch of crummy new scenes (which were clearly shot 30 years after the majority of the footage), and replace the bitchin' score with some Casiotone shit. And the pacing of "Rabid Dogs" -- so ruthless in the original cut (which was made to conform to Bava's vision) -- is utterly destroyed by the inept cutting in Leone and Lamberto's "Kidnapped."

Anyway: I'm just posting this so everybody know to watch "Rabid Dogs" first. I can't imagine that "Rabid Dogs" would be nearly as good if you'd seen "Kidnapped" first -- the crapulence of "Kidnapped" would taint the original film. Fortunately, both versions are included on the DVD.

My Man Godfrey

#154 Post by My Man Godfrey » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:11 pm

PS: As good as the second Bava Box is, we might have some new contenders for the "Worst DVD Covers . . . ever!" thread.

Matt

#155 Post by Matt » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:20 pm

My Man Godfrey wrote:I can't imagine that "Rabid Dogs" would be nearly as good if you'd seen "Kidnapped" first -- the crapulence of "Kidnapped" would taint the original film. Fortunately, both versions are included on the DVD.
Thanks for confirming that both versions are indeed included. And as a lexiphile, it pleases me to note that "crapulence" is actually a real word, and not one that's inappropriate to the situation.

Cold Bishop

#156 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:56 pm

ltfontaine wrote:The folks at Anchor Bay tell me that the set is not out of print and they don't understand why the title is out of stock at the major online retailers, including amazon.com. They're looking into it.

Perhaps as a result of my inquiry to Anchor Bay, referencing Deep Discount, I received this today from DD about Bava Box I:
Any word on this... I finally got around to ordering this only to see it unavailable everywhere (outside a few overpriced places).

patrick

#157 Post by patrick » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:55 pm

I picked up my Bava Box 2 today, what a terrific set - my only complaint is the ridiculously flimsy box and the ugly art, and I feel silly complaining about those things when I just got 7 films for $35. I really don't know how Anchor Bay is able to make everything so cheap, I was at Best Buy today trying to track down a copy of O Lucky Man! and saw pretty much every Anchor Bay title (including the new Re-Animator, Hellraiser and Phantasm discs) for $5-7.

SoyCuba

#158 Post by SoyCuba » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:
ltfontaine wrote:The folks at Anchor Bay tell me that the set is not out of print and they don't understand why the title is out of stock at the major online retailers, including amazon.com. They're looking into it.

Any word on this... I finally got around to ordering this only to see it unavailable everywhere (outside a few overpriced places).
It seems to be in-stock at Deep Discount now and my order was finally dispatched today.

patrick

#159 Post by patrick » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:09 pm

jsteffe wrote:
Ledos wrote:You can also get the Italian DVD, which is in my opinion the best one available. It's the only release that presents the original version with Italian soundtrack and English subtitles. It's also a better transfer than the MGM disc.
Absolutely! The Italian disc has eye-popping colors, and the original Italian dub makes it a more engrossing experience. I can't go back to the MGM disc anymore.
I've heard rumblings that Planet of the Vampires might be in line for a rerelease, especially since the Midnite Movies line is back. Evidently Sony has a gorgeous uncut transfer that's been shown on Monsters HD a few times.

Even though it's one of his lesser films (and was mostly his son's project), I hope that Blue Underground will reissue Shock with some decent special features - at least a Tim Lucas commentary. Actually, since Anchor Bay is doing those individual Black Sunday and Black Sabbath discs, perhaps they'll put out a Kill, Baby...Kill! disc with the aborted Tim Lucas commentary from the Dark Sky version. Lucas' commentary tracks are so good I wouldn't have a problem double-dipping.

patrick

#160 Post by patrick » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:03 pm

Has anyone purchased the Erik the Conqueror disc yet? I'm having the hardest time finding any reviews of it.

Lino

#161 Post by Lino » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:28 pm

patrick wrote:Has anyone purchased the Erik the Conqueror disc yet? I'm having the hardest time finding any reviews of it.
Here you go.

unclehulot

#162 Post by unclehulot » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:51 pm

patrick wrote:I've heard rumblings that Planet of the Vampires might be in line for a rerelease, especially since the Midnite Movies line is back. Evidently Sony has a gorgeous uncut transfer that's been shown on Monsters HD a few times.
Thanks for the heads up. It's being aired again on November 10th on Monsters HD.

thethirdman

#163 Post by thethirdman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:58 pm

patrick wrote:Has anyone purchased the Erik the Conqueror disc yet? I'm having the hardest time finding any reviews of it.
Here is DVD Savant's take.

patrick

#164 Post by patrick » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:07 am

Oh excellent, thanks for the heads up - I don't know how I missed that DVD Savant review. I ended up picking it up tonight, it's hard to go wrong with paying $9.99 for a Bava film with Tim Lucas commentary.

Lino

#165 Post by Lino » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:47 pm

So I got the new Bava set as a Christmas present for myself and will be treating me with some Bava magic in the upcoming days and nights.

Since this is Christmas Day, I hope someone out there listens to my request: a third Anchor Bay Bava box. I mean, there are still some major desperately in need to be revisited in R1 Bava titles out there, namely:

Blood and Black Lace
The Whip and the Body
Hatchet for the Honeymoon
I Vampiri

If you add them the recently individually released Erik the Conqueror and maybe Schock (although it currently is being distributed by Blue Underground), you'll have another fantastic set. Has Tim Lucas or Anchor Bay said anything about a possible third set or is this it, as far as Bava re-releases go?

patrick

#166 Post by patrick » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:54 pm

I believe Tim Lucas has said that Vol. 2 is it, since nobody seems to be giving up the rights to the films you've mentioned. I know that Anchor Bay had the chance to release Caltiki and turned it down because they don't want to release black-and-white titles, so I'd assume that I Vampiri is out of the question as well. However, the impression that I had was that these titles are actually available for licensing in R1, so hopefully a company with some cash think the VCI Blood & Black Lace and Whip & The Body are decent releases.

Lino

#167 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:41 pm

Rabid Dogs is fucking amazing! Had never seen it prior to buying the Bava 2 set and was bowled over at how good it is!