Raro: Andy Warhol Anthology

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Daze

#1 Post by Daze » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:52 pm

Has anyone bought this box set, or dealt with Xploited Cinema? Any recommendations?

Details on the box set: 8 discs, PAL, Region 0.

Alas, it doesn't look like anyone is working on the high-quality remastering and NTSC release that these films deserve.

Scharphedin2

#2 Post by Scharphedin2 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:08 pm

I do not own that specific set, but as to Xploited Cinema, they have become my favorite e-tailer. Their service is very personal and accomodating (this has been important to me, as I reside outside the US). Also, I think they are fantastic in searching out a lot of obscure releases from all over the world. On top that, it has been my experience that they are also willing to go the extra mile, and make titles available to you that they do not carry on their website.

sevenarts

#3 Post by sevenarts » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:26 pm

I've got it. I still haven't watched every film, but from what I've sampled so far, it's a wonderful set. Don't expect totally pristine prints or anything, but then that's probably not so important with these rough-and-ready films to begin with. They look fine to me though, and most importantly any imperfections seem to be from the prints rather than the quite good transfers.

I think there was some discussion of it a while back in the Andy Warhol thread in the Old Films section too, so you might want to search around there.

Also, I've bought stuff from Xploited before and had no problems with them, they're super-fast in shipping but a bit expensive. In fact, I bought the Warhol box direct from Raro, who often have deals on their website and in any case offer straight discounts on their discs all the time. You might want to do a quick comparison there before getting it from Xploited.

Max von Mayerling

#4 Post by Max von Mayerling » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:40 pm

I just received the set directly from Raro yesterday. While I obviously haven't had a chance to dig very deeply, I did sample several of the discs yesterday, and I'll second sevenarts opinion. The transfers appear to be very good - maybe not as great as the best Criterion transfers - but generally very good and I did not see any obvious problems.

Many of the discs come with books w/ text in english and italian.

Raro was selling the set at 30% off in both December and March. For me this amounted to $109.30 including shipping.

R0lf

Re: Raro: Andy Warhol Anthology

#5 Post by R0lf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:05 am

The Amazon listing (from third party sellers) says this is a six disc box. Is there a six disc box or are they all eight discs?

Giulio

Re: Raro: Andy Warhol Anthology

#6 Post by Giulio » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:35 am

they are 8 discs in 6 dvd cases