Ripley's Home Video

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
TMDaines

Re: Ripley's Home Video

#76 Post by TMDaines » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:39 pm

I'll keep an eye out for Assassination next time I order.
Saimo wrote:No English subtitles for the Italian version. You only have subtitles for the scenes missing from the American cut. I guess this is because they consider English to be the original language, and in fact of course the film was shot with an English speaking cast.
Yeah, the original language issue for this film is rather complex. It was filmed with an English cast but wasn't shown in the US until three years after the Italian debut - and then was also cut by several minutes. So you either watch it fully in Italian or in English, but with eight or so minutes in Italian anyway just to see the original cut.

Still, I'm still not sure how to turn the English subtitles on for Italian language from the Italian cut. Presumably they come on automatically when necessary.

Saimo

#77 Post by Saimo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:58 pm

TMDaines wrote:I'm still not sure how to turn the English subtitles on for Italian language from the Italian cut. Presumably they come on automatically when necessary.
Yes, you have automatic subtitles.

Saimo

#78 Post by Saimo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:27 pm

The original language is English, so the DVD is ok. But since the English soundtrack for the deleted scene is lost, they have replaced these bits with Italian audio.

TMDaines

#79 Post by TMDaines » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Sacco e Vanzetti (Blu-ray) upcoming.

Oh Ripley's!

TMDaines

#80 Post by TMDaines » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:21 am

Vulcano (DVD) upcoming! Keep the new stuff coming!

Saimo

#81 Post by Saimo » Thu May 24, 2012 8:33 am

Bad news: last films by Cottafavi and Matarazzo were really bad sellers. I am afraid they are not going to release other Italian forgotten films for a while... ](*,)

TMDaines

#82 Post by TMDaines » Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 am

:(

It doesn't seem like Cristaldi and Surf Video are doing thing at the moment either.

Saimo

#83 Post by Saimo » Thu May 24, 2012 10:51 am

Italian market is a mess! We have plenty of low profile labels releasing bootleg editions of Paramount and Warner classic films, and since they don't pay royalties they are saturating our market with these low cost/low quality discs. I am not sure labels like Ripley's can still survive a long time...

Saimo

#84 Post by Saimo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:02 am

TMDaines wrote:Vulcano (DVD) upcoming! Keep the new stuff coming!
Available, but not English friendly. Italian audio and French subtitles only.

Saimo

#85 Post by Saimo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:18 am

I am not sure how this bootleg trend started, and of course can't prove how many of these recent DVDs actually are bootleg editions (but a few certainly are), but for example every month labels like Stormovie and A & R Productions keep putting out many American films by Hitchcock, Curtiz or Wilder and that seems pretty strange to me... Especially because some of these films already have a legit Italian release by copyright holder (for example Ninotchka or Cukor's Holiday), while other discs are simply NTSC (!) rip with Italian audio downloaded from a DivX mux. Also, I can't understand how they can price these titles just 5 euros and (supposedly) get away with very expensive licensing fees. Not sure the Majors care very much about Italian market, but I am afraid in a few years these low-profile labels will become Italian leading companies for classic cinema, while quality labels like Ripley's, Flamingo and Sinister will be experiencing hard times.

doc mccoy

#86 Post by doc mccoy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:19 pm

TMDaines wrote:Sacco e Vanzetti (Blu-ray) upcoming.

Oh Ripley's!
Has anyone had a chance to view this yet? Are there English subs or it it dubbed?

TMDaines

#87 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:19 pm

There's an optional English audio track, I think, but no English subtitles.

Saimo

#88 Post by Saimo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:26 am

Yes, english audio track (PCM 2.0), but no subtitles.

Saimo

#89 Post by Saimo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Do they have a website yet? Anything new on offer?
The site is still under construction, but RHV is now very active on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/RIPLEYS-H ... 8686660055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saimo

#90 Post by Saimo » Fri May 17, 2013 4:35 am

Ossessione 70th anniversary.

Ripley's posted on youtube a short clip from their DVD bonus features (English subs included):
http://youtu.be/XlGC5_uwHfI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saimo

#91 Post by Saimo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:43 pm

On early 2014 Ripley's will start an "archive collection", releasing forgotten gems from Italian cinema of the 30s and 40s.
Not sure how many of these discs will be English-friendly, but a little feedback might help them decide :wink:

TMDaines

#92 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Saimo wrote:On early 2014 Ripley's will start an "archive collection", releasing forgotten gems from Italian cinema of the 30s and 40s.
Not sure how many of these discs will be English-friendly, but a little feedback might help them decide :wink:
Awesome, I asked them about this on FB the other month, as it seemed that they were heading off in a different direction, and they told me more classic Italian cinema was coming.

Have you been checking out the work Cristaldi have been doing, Saimo? They've really been delving into the archive too. Even 01 has been joining in recently and a couple of Bellocchios have just been released. Now we just need Medusa/Mustang/Warner to get titles back into print.

Saimo

#93 Post by Saimo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:46 am

On December RHV will also release an Alida Valli collection, focusing on her early films (1935-1943), but I am not sure whether they will include subtitles. Maybe a little subscription/petition would help? If an English-speaking audience does exist, I think this is the right time to make them hear your voice.
Now we just need Medusa/Mustang/Warner to get titles back into print.
Still not sure about Mustang policy, so in the last months I have been picking up many Medusa OOP classics.
Cineteca di Bologna is also starting an archive collection, the first release being Ma l'amore mio non muore (1913).
http://cinestore.cinetecadibologna.it/b ... ttaglio/63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TMDaines

#94 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:02 am

That's great news about the Cineteca, especially if it means lots of 100th anniversary silents.

I've been gathering as many Medusa titles as I can but I still have a lot of gaps and there's nothing available.

Ribs

#95 Post by Ribs » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:38 pm

Sorry to resurrect a thread - but it looks like Ripley's Home Video put out a release on BD of Bertolucci's Before the Revolution back in March to essentially no attention. Anyone know anything about this release and any perceived benefits it may have over the ten-year-old BFI?

TMDaines

#96 Post by TMDaines » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:50 am

It's probably just a re-release of their Blu-ray from the same period. I think the video quality was roughly similar, but it had a lot more subtitled extras.