Network DVD

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
RossyG

Re: Network DVD

#151 Post by RossyG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:29 pm

They often do it if the open matte version is available. I asked why and they said it was just as a curiosity for those who what to see every inch of the frame as shot.

manicsounds

#152 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:01 am

DVDCompare review of "This Sporting Life" blu-ray

Too bad Network didn't include a lossless audio option...

Calvin

#153 Post by Calvin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:27 am

manicsounds wrote:DVDCompare review of "This Sporting Life" blu-ray

DVDCompare do their best to confuse things there: "Audio is a little disappointing. The only audio option is a lossless Dolby Digital two-channel mono track. This is clear and audible but, because it’s lossless, lack range – although the opening sound of the boot hitting the ball has some ‘bite’, it would have been nice to see a lossless audio option on this disc. "

Paul L

#154 Post by Paul L » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Calvin wrote:
manicsounds wrote:DVDCompare review of "This Sporting Life" blu-ray

DVDCompare do their best to confuse things there: "Audio is a little disappointing. The only audio option is a lossless Dolby Digital two-channel mono track. This is clear and audible but, because it’s lossless, lack range – although the opening sound of the boot hitting the ball has some ‘bite’, it would have been nice to see a lossless audio option on this disc. "
That's my typo. Apologies :) (Due to my hectic work schedule lately, I had to proofread that review off the screen and didn't spot that I'd transposed 'lossy' and 'lossless' in that box.) I've since corrected it.

FYI, it's a lossy Dolby Digital track that's on the disc. The paragraph should read as follows:
Audio is a little disappointing. The only audio option is a lossy Dolby Digital two-channel mono track. This is clear and audible but, because it’s lossy, lacks range – although the opening sound of the boot hitting the ball has some ‘bite’, it would have been nice to see a lossless audio option on this disc.
Hope that clarifies the issue :)

rockysds

#155 Post by rockysds » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:25 pm

antnield

#156 Post by antnield » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:57 am

A cleverly conceived, eerily atmospheric sci-fi chiller, Unearthly Stranger stars future Baron Munchausen John Neville as a scientist engaged in an experimental project like no other; Gabriella Licudi is his beautiful but otherworldly wife, who becomes the subject of great interest for his government superiors. This original, intelligent and compelling feature from award-winning Avengers director John Krish is presented here in a brand-new High Definition transfer from the original film elements, in its as-exhibited theatrical aspect ratio.

TP91 is a secret and highly complex formula which will enable man to project himself through time and space; work in the field is conducted with the utmost security, using the finest scientific brains in the country. When Dr Munro succeeds in solving the first part of the formula, he is found dead before he is able to pass on the invaluable result, with the all-important paper bearing his calculations in ashes on his desk. His successor, government scientist Dr Mark Davidson, quickly senses that both he and his new wife are now in grave danger...
November 3rd

MichaelB

#157 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:42 am

That would have been a dead cert for the BFI's Sci-Fi release programme if the rights had been available to them - so I'm delighted that Network's doing it instead. It's a really terrific little film: low-budget black-and-white sci-fi with clear evidence of a functioning brain behind it.

colinr0380

#158 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Network is doing great things with UK-sci-fi films at the moment. While it is DVD only they've also released this month the Julie Christie-starring Memoirs of a Survivor based on the novel by Doris Lessing and directed by David Gladwell (whose earlier film Requiem For A Village was recently rehabilitated by the BFI in their Flipside series).

bottled spider

#159 Post by bottled spider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Browsing the MovieMail site, I see there's a new release of the Laurence Olivier production of The Three Sisters.

I've watched this a couple times before on the Kino DVD (I'm pretty sure Kino -- it was a rental), and my one frustration was that the sound was slightly muffled, with no subtitles to compensate. I know sweet FA about the technical stuff, so forgive a naive question: can I assume that the sound quality will have improved when they describe the release as "a brand new transfer from the original elements"?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#160 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm

It was indeed Kino, and all of those Kino theatrical adaptation films I've tried to watch were inaudible to the point that I couldn't make it through more than a couple minutes without giving up, so like anything would be an improvement

bottled spider

#161 Post by bottled spider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm

Yeah, a shame, because it's an excellent production. I really like Alan Bates later in his carreer. I probably just go for this one -- and if I do, I'll report back.

rockysds

#162 Post by rockysds » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:33 pm

ImageImage

Both in January.

manicsounds

#163 Post by manicsounds » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Digital Fix review of Monster Club blu-ray

In terms of extras the US Scorpion disc clearly wins.

pointless

#164 Post by pointless » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Two Hammer Horror titles to be released on September 8th.

Twins of Evil (John Hough, 1971)

Special Features:
  • Original theatrical trailers and TV spots
    Deleted scene
    Image gallery
    PDF material
    Commemorative booklet
    Instant play facility

Countess Dracula (Peter Sasdy, 1971)

Special Features:
  • Audio commentary with Ingrid Pitt and horror experts Kim Newman and Stephen Jones
    Original theatrical trailer
    Archive interview with Ingrid Pitt
    50 Years of Hammer - news feature
    Thriller episode
    Conceptions of Murder episode
    Instant play facility

Ashirg

#165 Post by Ashirg » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:06 am

January 26, 2015

SPECIAL FEATURES:
[] Original Theatrical Trailer
[] Image Galleries

Also, it seems Fascination blu has been cancelled, but DVD is still coming out.

rockysds

#166 Post by rockysds » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:29 am

Shame Fascination apparently won't be on blu-ray. Was curious about that one. But a couple of titles previously only announced as coming on dvd, The Tamarind Seed and A Man About the House now seems to be getting blu-ray, so swings and roundabouts I guess. Always happy for more Edwards in HD.

martin

#167 Post by martin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Re. picture quality of the Twins of Evil BD: Overall very good PQ but there's a thin bright vertical line at the far right of the frame (the movie is pillarboxed c. 1.66:1. The bright line is at the far right of the 'pillar'). Some may find it annoying, som may find it negligible. The ovescan setting of my Panasonic plasma kills it. Synapse's release doesn't suffer from this issue judging from the screencaps at blu-ray.com.

pointless

#168 Post by pointless » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:36 pm

The British Film Line-Up for January-March 2015
The British Film collection was launched by Network Distributing in April 2013 as part of a five-year plan to release over 450 vintage British films through a deal with Studiocanal, one of Europe's leading distribution and production companies. Many of the films have never been available to own and will benefit from new transfers, affirming Network Distributing's commitment to classic British cinema.
12 January

The Man Who Knew Too Much
The Lady Vanishes
A Nice Girl Like Me
You Can't Escape
Fascination (1931)
British Musicals Of The 1930s Volume 3 - Includes For The Love Of Mike, Facing The Music: Stanley Lupino, My Song Goes Round The World and Heart's Desire.

19 January

The Stolen Assignment - directed by Terence Fisher
The Intruder
Young and Innocent
The Flying Scot
Our Man In Marrakesh

26 January

Bad Timing
Biddy
Golden Ivory
The Thief of Bagdad
Baby Love
Intimate Relations
Into The Blue (Herbert Wilcox)

2 February

A Man About the House
Someone At The Door (Herbert Brenon)
A Political Party
Walk A Tightrope
My Irish Molly

9 February

Image Image
Raise the Titanic
The Tamarind Seed

16 February

Warn That Man
Silent Dust
We Joined The Navy
Night Birds
The Good Beginning

23 February

West 11 (Michael Winner)
The Nightcomers
Assassin For Hire
Hot Enough for June
Manuela (Guy Hamilton)
Circle Of Danger

2 March

Image Image

Waterfront
The One That Got Away
Pacific Destiny

9 March

Mine Own Executioner
My Brother Jonathan
Captain Bill
Little Red Monkey

16 March

The Outsider
The March Hare
No Trees In The Street
Guilt Is My Shadow

23 March

The Tower of Terror
She'll Have To Go

Ashirg

#169 Post by Ashirg » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Amazon.co.uk added yesterday (and removed today) a listing for blu-ray of The Nightcomers for February 23 release date (same as DVD). The title was never listed on Network web site, so not sure where they got that information, but hoping it gets a release on blu.

Ashirg

#170 Post by Ashirg » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:54 pm

New releases announced:

30 March
Image Image
The Professionals - MKIII
The Lost Worlds of Gerry Anderson - set contains the 1970s pilots for both The Investigator and The Day After Tomorrow, as well as the 1986 pilot for Space Police

6 April
Image Image
6.5 Special (1958)
Campbell's Kingdom (1957)
Crime on the Hill (1933)
Happy Is the Bride (1958)
The Jessie Matthews Revue, Volume 1 - Friday the Thirteenth (1933) / First a Girl (1935)

13 April
Image Image
French Dressing (1964) (Ken Russell)
Percy's Progress (1974)

20 April
Aldwych Farces: Volume 1 - A Cuckoo in the Nest (1933) / Turkey Time (1933)
British Comedies of the 1930s: Volume 1 - Let Me Explain, Dear (1932) / The Outcast (1934)
The Ghoul (1933)

27 April
Deadlier Than the Male (1967)
Excuse My Glove (1936)
Model for Murder (1959)

11 May
Cairo Road (1950)
The Flying Deuces (1939)
Violent Moment (1959)

18 May
Thunderstorm (1956)
Last edited by Ashirg on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

criterion10

#171 Post by criterion10 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Ashirg wrote:French Dressing (1964) (Ken Russell)
Holy shit, when did this become news? Absolutely fantastic for Russell fans! I don't believe this one has been available, except through a pan & scan, VHS-rip circulating around. I still haven't seen it myself, but now *very* excited.

And for what it's worth, I always thought Studio Canal had the rights to this title. Wonder how it ended up with Network.

CR2

#172 Post by CR2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:47 am

criterion10 wrote:
Ashirg wrote:French Dressing (1964) (Ken Russell)
Holy shit, when did this become news? Absolutely fantastic for Russell fans! I don't believe this one has been available, except through a pan & scan, VHS-rip circulating around. I still haven't seen it myself, but now *very* excited.

And for what it's worth, I always thought Studio Canal had the rights to this title. Wonder how it ended up with Network.
Yeah, this looks like an absolute blast. Very, very excited.

Ashirg

#173 Post by Ashirg » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:26 am

criterion10 wrote:And for what it's worth, I always thought Studio Canal had the rights to this title. Wonder how it ended up with Network.
Many of Network releases in The British Film line are from StudioCanal library.

Dr Amicus

#174 Post by Dr Amicus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:57 am

French Dressing is a real oddity in Russell's filmography - I have to say it's not a film I'd have said was a Russell film if I didn't know beforehand. It's still good fun though, and it's nice to see Roy Kinnear starring in a film and not simply stealing a couple of scenes.

MichaelB

#175 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:50 am

Dr Amicus wrote:French Dressing is a real oddity in Russell's filmography - I have to say it's not a film I'd have said was a Russell film if I didn't know beforehand. It's still good fun though, and it's nice to see Roy Kinnear starring in a film and not simply stealing a couple of scenes.
Russell pretty much disowned it and went straight back to telly - not too surprisingly, as he was producing some of his best small-screen work at the time (Béla Bartók, The Debussy Film, Always on Sunday).

He said that the experience taught him a valuable lesson: while you can fall back on spontaneity and improvisation when you're working on a short BBC arts programme, you can't make a feature film without a fully worked-out script. He knew at the start of shooting that it wasn't right, but assumed he'd be able to bodge something together in much the same way that he'd done before - but with a full-size cast and crew to organise (he'd had very little experience with actors and his BBC crews were typically in the very low single figures), this turned out to be a very different proposition.

A decade or so later, Russell said that he much preferred working in television because it was easier to be spontaneous - his only gripe was that (at the time, anyway) his work would typically only be shown once or twice, whereas the features had a much higher profile.