Image Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Cinesimilitude

#76 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:09 pm

To not own "Shop Around the Corner", Snapcase or not, is a travesty.

HerrSchreck

#77 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:27 am

Gordon wrote:Another Image Entertainment 50s sci-fi film that I have wanted to check out is the 1957 black and white scope film, Kronos. Cinematography by the great Karl Struss (Murnau's Sunrise, Niblo's Ben-Hur, Island of Lost Souls
Mamoulian's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde). Ace Outer Limits set decorator Chester Bayhi and legendary Walter M. Scott (All About Eve, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Planet of the Apes, The Sound of Music, The Gunfighter, The King and I, The Fly, Journey to the Center of the Earth) fashioned the impressive, expressionistic sets. DVD Savant's review of the good, but sadly non-anamorphic 2.35:1 DVD. Another small gem for the wish list, but when will I get round to ordering it?! :wink:
I just picked this disc of KRONOS up, Gordo (along with the way-too-much-fun ATRAGON from Tokyo Shock, another painterly Honda/Tsuburaya/Ifukube scope technicolorful fantasy one-shot along the lines of MATANGO & DOGORA; ATRAGON at times in the Mu Empire scenes reminds me vaguely of the HOICHI scenes in KWAIDAN).. and you shouldn't hold back. I got for ten bucks off the shelves, and this is one of the very few non-anamorphic discs where I almost can't believe it. Depth of detail & resolution is very solid-- not anywhere near as noticeable as in, say, Seigels INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS disc that's been our only option for years. The image is very good, and the print is in excellent shape for the most part. I'd go for it if I were you.

solaris72

#78 Post by solaris72 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:54 am

The Saragossa Manuscript seems to be going out of print.

starmanof51

#79 Post by starmanof51 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:46 pm

And I notice they're releasing the complete "Jason King" series in May, starring the irresistable force called Peter Wyngarde. I know Schreck posted a Jason King image or two a few weeks ago, so maybe I'm not the only one smiling at this news.

Felix

#80 Post by Felix » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:02 pm

seferad wrote:Does anyone know if Image are still issuing their old DVDs in snap cases? I really wanted to buy their release of Cecil B DeMille's 'Carmen/The Cheat', but it's still listed as being in a snap case.

It's not the first time I've had this problem with Image, Warner do this as well. They only seem to have 'The Shop Around the Corner' in a snap case. Maybe I'm being too neurotic, but i really hate snap cases!
Have you ever considered just making your own covers (access to a colour printer required but not difficult)? I do this with an increasing amount of films. It started with bootlegs and then I quite enjoyed how they looked so I am now replacing other ones. I am working through all my Redemption/Salvation discs at the moment, and they look a lot better.

I use Powerpoint and once I set up the initial template it is a stroll. I can do one in a very short time and I am not a computer whizz at all.

I use this site for posters, one of which I take for the front, the others shrunk and pasted on the back. Wikipaedia often has them as well.

If you want the background to match the poster, just copy and paste a blank section from the poster and resize up to fit the whole cover and use it as the background. They will fit perfectly.

Other good cover material is non-related posters, some of these Polish ones are very good if you don't insist on a direct picture from the movie.

Use the tool to cut the wrong titles out of the picture and overlay font. I don't think copyright applies here.

Screencaps from DVD Beaver or articles, (if like me you are Region limited on the PC and need to reduce the number of changes before it freezes code, if not use the PC), a synopsis for the back from wherever fits your taste, Time Out are good.

Just buy a blank DVD case and put your disc and new cover into it. I do it because I don't like the covers, you could do it because you don't like the snapcase. Most covers aren't that great and if the snapcase is preventing you from buying it... (Actually, yes, definitely. I have just looked at some the ones I have in snapcases and I realise I don't much like them either, and they are going...)

Gordon

#81 Post by Gordon » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:32 pm

solaris72 wrote:The Saragossa Manuscript seems to be going out of print.
Ooh, that's a shame, as it deserves to be kept in print forever after being unavailable for 30 years. The Image disc is cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.92:1 so if a fully-wide transfer is made, I'll definitely double-dip as it is easily one of my favourite films. Penderecki's score is isolated on the Image disc, so don't do anything hasty if a new edition is announced.

HerrSchreck

#82 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:32 am

Lemme tellya I just had my fuckin head blown two stories up watching this bizarro THE AMAZING MR X from Eagle Lion in '48, shot by John Alton and directed by Bernard Vorhaus.

Is it a noir? Is it a horror flick? Is it a fantasy? I love story? A museum of the finest photography in motion?

The answer is all of the above. Somehow this wierd little programmer (my favorite sorta film half the time) escaped me, and I thought I saw all of the important Alton-lensed flicks from the late 40's early 50's.

Unfortunately the print in the summer 2006 disc from Wade Williams/Image Entertainment is simultaneously of excellent image quality (meaning it's possibly a first gen nitrate) as well as speckled & damaged to where the soundtrack sounds like a rfresh bowl of rice krispies blasted through an echo chamber ratcheted thru a thousand watt power amp.

But what a movie-- you literally have to see it to believe it. One of the most beautifully photographed, sensitively acted, and completely unpredictable films I've ever seen. Certainly among the most unique.

Gordon

#83 Post by Gordon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:59 am

Yeah, judging by the DVD Beaver review, it looks like another glorious piece of work from Alton - magnificent deep-focus on the second-last screen-capture!

I hope that Warner (it was an MGM film) release Anthony Mann's Devil's Doorway (1950, bw) also shot by Alton.

The Brothers Karamazov (1958, Richard Brooks) is also with Warner and I have always wanted to see how Alton lit it.

Ashirg

#84 Post by Ashirg » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:53 pm

The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Ultimate Edition is coming in October.

Features:
- Mastered in high definition from an original multi-tinted print.
- New symphonic score compiled by Donald Hunsberger, adapted and conducted by Robert Israel. Recorded in Europe in digital stereo.
- Insert essay and optional audio essay through the film, both by Michael F. Blake, author of two books on Lon Chaney.
- Facsimile reproduction of original souvenir program.
- Gallery of Original 3-D stills (3-D viewing glasses are included with this DVD).
- Extensive gallery of 2-D stills including production shots, scenes and advertising materials.
- Behind-the-scenes footage of Lon Chaney out of makeup on the set.

stroszeck

#85 Post by stroszeck » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:32 pm

Is there any news about a potential new re-release of Sargossa Manuscript? I've been kicking myself for not buying it simply because of the cropped transfer, now I feel really STOOPID....

Hashi

#86 Post by Hashi » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:53 am

stroszeck wrote:Is there any news about a potential new re-release of Sargossa Manuscript? I've been kicking myself for not buying it simply because of the cropped transfer, now I feel really STOOPID....
There's also a French R2 disc of Saragossa... and if I recall it has also english subs. I cannot confirm that right now since I don't have the disc here right now and it's been too long since I've had it in my hands. At least Alapage says it has english subs. I can confirm these within a day or so if anyone's interested.

BTW the same company has two other Has discs out: The Hour-Glass Sanatorium and The Tribulations of Balthazar Kober.

Ledos

#87 Post by Ledos » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:13 am

Reviews of the DVD confirm that it has both French and English subtitles. I'd be very interested if you could check what the aspect ratio of the French disc is.

Person

#88 Post by Person » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:50 am

Ledos wrote:Reviews of the DVD confirm that it has both French and English subtitles. I'd be very interested if you could check what the aspect ratio of the French disc is.
Which reviews are you speaking of?

Scharphedin2

#89 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:44 pm

Hashi wrote:
stroszeck wrote:Is there any news about a potential new re-release of Sargossa Manuscript? I've been kicking myself for not buying it simply because of the cropped transfer, now I feel really STOOPID....
There's also a French R2 disc of Saragossa... and if I recall it has also english subs. I cannot confirm that right now since I don't have the disc here right now and it's been too long since I've had it in my hands. At least Alapage says it has english subs. I can confirm these within a day or so if anyone's interested.

BTW the same company has two other Has discs out: The Hour-Glass Sanatorium and The Tribulations of Balthazar Kober.
Hashi, any additional info on this R2 release would be appreciated, once you have had a chance to look at it again. English subs/aspect ratio/studo? Info on the other two Has discs would likewise be great.

MichaelB

#90 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Scharphedin2 wrote:Hashi, any additional info on this R2 release would be appreciated, once you have had a chance to look at it again. English subs/aspect ratio/studo? Info on the other two Has discs would likewise be great.
The Fnac.com entry for The Saragossa Manuscript looks promising - all three comments give it 10/10, and one says:
Enfin, le chef d'Suvre de W. Has disponible et comment! : son et image restaurés, format scope respecté et version intégrale (restituée par les bons soins de Martin Scorcese). Un festival de picaresque, de baroque, de folie du cinéma. A quand une édition de la Clepsydre, l'autre versant de l'Suvre de ce polonais odieusement ignoré?
The key words here are "son et image restaurés", "format scope respecté" and "version intégrale".

And the Alapage.com entry offers the option of looking at the back cover, which confirms that it's the three-hour version (contrary to what Fnac claims), it's anamorphic and has English subtitles.

Ledos

#91 Post by Ledos » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:28 pm

Person wrote:Which reviews are you speaking of?
This one: "Sous-titres : Anglais, Français"

Scharphedin2

#92 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Thanks for posting the above, Michael. I appreciate it. Excellent that a good DVD release is still available of this film, which I remember being mentioned as a really good at the time of Image's release. Unfortunately I too missed ordering it, before it went out of print.

Do you know anything about the other Has titles mentioned by Hashi above? Both when it comes to the quality of the films as such, and the DVD releases?

MichaelB

#93 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:43 pm

No definite confirmation yet, but I'm getting the distinct impression from several sources that Clepsydre only offers French subtitles and Les Tribulations de Balthazar Kober is in unsubtitled French.

Hashi

#94 Post by Hashi » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:No definite confirmation yet, but I'm getting the distinct impression from several sources that Clepsydre only offers French subtitles and Les Tribulations de Balthazar Kober is in unsubtitled French.
I have all these three discs. You are correct about those two others. Tribulations de... is unsubtitled French, Clepsydre has French subs only and Saragossa has French and English subtitles.

I just had a look of the Saragossa disc so here's some comments/notions: It's progressive, the image has a small black border around contrary to the Image disc which has HUGE black border and is interlaced ie. has combing. The aspect ratio of this R2 disc is around 2.35:1 - but when comparing the image to the captures of the Image disc in DVD Beaver's review, this French disc looks a bit horizontally stretched. But at the same time the Image discs looks like vertically stretched. The framing is also a bit different: on the left and right almost the same but Image disc has more information on top and bottom. The image is brighter - maybe some contrast boosting as some whites lose detail - but it also has more detail than the tad softer Image disc.

I think I could have time to make screencaptures of this (and also the two others if anyone's interested) during this weekend.

Person

#95 Post by Person » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:12 pm

Damn, I love this forum! Great stuff, guys. Count Jan Potocki's, The Saragossa Manuscript is one of my favourite books and the film is a firm favourite, too. I'd love to see some screen-captures of the French disc. Here is the DVD Beaver review, btw. As you can see, it has yellow subs - I assume that the French disc has white subs?

Belorezki

#96 Post by Belorezki » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:47 pm

Person wrote:Damn, I love this forum! Great stuff, guys. Count Jan Potocki's, The Saragossa Manuscript is one of my favourite books and the film is a firm favourite, too. I'd love to see some screen-captures of the French disc. Here is the DVD Beaver review, btw. As you can see, it has yellow subs - I assume that the French disc has white subs?
Hello, I've been a silent reader for a long time and just had to jump in on this one. I love Potocki's novel as well. The French disc has white subtitles. Here are a few screenshots:

ImageImageImage

Ledos

#97 Post by Ledos » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:50 pm

Taking those screenshots and cropping away the black border reveals that the aspect ratio is 2.30:1. It does not, however, appear to have any more picture information than the Image disc. Aside from some minor framing differences (which just as well could be a result of not capturing exactly the same frame), the difference in aspect ratio is all due to stretching.

So, which of the two look most natural?

Person

#98 Post by Person » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:53 pm

I would say that the Image 1.92:1 transfer is vertically stretched. However, the contrast looks better on the Image transfer (this could simply be the screen capture software). There also seems to more info at the top and bottom on the Image transfer.

I'll order the French disc.

petoluk

#99 Post by petoluk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:43 pm

I guess this should go into the Polish Cinema thread, but as you seem to be quite interested in The Saragossa Manuscript, according to this site here, a newly restored version should be released in Poland this autumn as a part of the Polscy twórcy filmowi (Polish Filmmakers) collection. One of the other 5 Wojciech J. Has titles that should follow is Sanatorium pod klepsydrÄ…. Doesn't say anything about subtitles though...

Cheers! :wink:

Peto

Person

#100 Post by Person » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:47 pm

Cheers, Peto. I'd love to have a legit, high-quality anamorphic disc of The Hourglass Sanatorium, as the non-anamorphic, big-yellow-subtitled DVD-R I have no longer cuts the mustard on my new plasma screen. I'd also love to see Szyfry (The Codes) (1966, bw) and Lalka (The Doll) (1968, color, Franscope) in the near future.