Milestone: Killer of Sheep

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
criterionsnob

#26 Post by criterionsnob » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:22 pm

Cover art.

2 disc set includes the feature My Brother's Wedding, 3 short films and the new short on Hurricane Katrina Quiet as Kept.

dadaistnun

#27 Post by dadaistnun » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:50 am

My Brother's Wedding begins a week-long run at IFC Film Center today.

FilmFanSea

#28 Post by FilmFanSea » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:51 pm

A.O. Scott's brief review in the Times of the new cut of My Brother's Wedding, in limited theatrical release:

[quote]September 14, 2007

Critic's Choice | 'My Brother's Wedding'

The Rough Poetry of Real Independence
By A. O. SCOTT

One of the most heartening recent developments in the world of American film has been the revival of interest in the work of Charles Burnett. At a moment when the term independent film is taken to refer either to midbudget studio projects anchored by Oscar-soliciting performances or to the aimless navel-gazing of under-stimulated hipsters (Speak up! Stop mumbling!), Mr. Burnett's work is an indelible reminder of what real independence looks like.

His early films in particular also testify to the vitality of a neorealist impulse that has never quite taken root in American cinema. “Killer of Sheepâ€

What A Disgrace

#29 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:22 pm

Full specs (I think), according to Amazon.

- KILLER OF SHEEP commentary track with Charles Burnett and the Program Director of the Film Society of Lincoln Center, Richard Peña
- KILLER OF SHEEP cast reunion video by Ross Lipman (who restored the film)
- KILLER OF SHEEP trailer
- Burnett's second feature, MY BROTHER'S WEDDING: the original 115-minute cut and the director's 82-minute cut
- Three rediscovered short films: SEVERAL FRIENDS (1969. 23 minutes.), THE HORSE (1973. 13 minutes.), and WHEN IT RAINS (1995. 13 minutes.); the new short on Hurricane Katrina, QUIET AS KEPT (2007. 5 minutes.).

zone_resident

#30 Post by zone_resident » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:25 pm

patrick

#31 Post by patrick » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Looks like a terrific set, I'm kind of annoyed that my store's wholesale cost is ridiculously high (higher than the Amazon price), but what can you do. I guess I'll just order my personal copy off Amazon.

Now if someone would just release To Sleep With Anger on R1 DVD, it was the first Burnett film I saw and I would really like to see it again.

eez28

#32 Post by eez28 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:42 pm

Overstock has it for $25.60, pretty good price I guess unless you have a GC or coupon from another place. I'm very close from ordering it from them but I keep hesitating.

zone_resident

#33 Post by zone_resident » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:45 pm

In the past, I've ordered a couple of (mainly) New Yorker releases from Overstock. Did not have any major problem. DVD Empire may provide faster service though.

eez28

#34 Post by eez28 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:50 pm

zone_resident wrote:In the past, I've ordered a couple of (mainly) New Yorker releases from Overstock. Did not have any major problem. DVD Empire may provide faster service though.
But its about $6 more, is there anyone else who sells New Yorker titles?

zone_resident

#35 Post by zone_resident » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:18 am

It is $28.55 at Overstock, including shipping and handling.
Amazon sells it for $29.99 (free shipping).

patrick

#36 Post by patrick » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:31 pm

My copy (from Amazon) just showed up, I haven't had a chance to start digging in yet but Milestone should be embarrassed of the packaging job they did on this thing - it's one of those fold-out things where the discs just slide into slits cut into the cardboard. Hopefully they took more care on the discs themselves.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:33 pm

patrick wrote:My copy (from Amazon) just showed up, I haven't had a chance to start digging in yet but Milestone should be embarrassed of the packaging job they did on this thing - it's one of those fold-out things where the discs just slide into slits cut into the cardboard. Hopefully they took more care on the discs themselves.
preaching, choir

FilmFanSea

#38 Post by FilmFanSea » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:11 pm

domino harvey wrote:
patrick wrote:My copy (from Amazon) just showed up, I haven't had a chance to start digging in yet but Milestone should be embarrassed of the packaging job they did on this thing - it's one of those fold-out things where the discs just slide into slits cut into the cardboard. Hopefully they took more care on the discs themselves.
preaching, choir
Personally, based on past experiences, I choose to credit Milestone for the positive aspects of this release, and blame distributor New Yorker for its deficiencies. With that logic in mind, I bet the evil New Yorker hoodwinked the guileless, trusting folks at Milestone into using inferior packaging to save a few pennies.

patrick

#39 Post by patrick » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:22 pm

FilmFanSea wrote:With that logic in mind, I bet the evil New Yorker hoodwinked the guileless, trusting folks at Milestone into using inferior packaging to save a few pennies.
The sad thing is, a regular plastic/Amaray case would probably be much cheaper than this custom job.