AX1 Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Cronenfly

Re: Axiom Films

#51 Post by Cronenfly » Fri May 29, 2009 7:27 pm

There seem to be across-the-board price reductions on a number of Axiom Wenders titles (including Alice in the Cities and Kings of the Road, at Amazon UK, The Hut, etc), but be forewarned that the boooklets for many if not all were produced in limited numbers, which I found out when Kings of the Road arrived today sans booklet and I went to Axiom's site to see about a replacement. Not a huge deal (though still disappointing), I thought it merited a mention here.

sidehacker

#52 Post by sidehacker » Fri May 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Well, the box describes the booklets as being "limited edition."

Cronenfly

#53 Post by Cronenfly » Sat May 30, 2009 12:51 am

The reprinted cover art drops any mention of the booklet (at least on Kings of the Road), but looking at Axiom's site now this should have come as no surprise. I guess I'm too used to "limited" editions/extra bells and whistles that are anything but; however, I doubt the price would have dropped on these until the reprinting (minus booklets) occurred, so it's all a wash, I suppose.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#54 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 30, 2009 1:06 am

If it makes you feel any better, I don't even remember the booklets to Alice or Kings. I could probably scan them at a later date if they're really in demand

MichaelB

#55 Post by MichaelB » Sat May 30, 2009 2:32 am

Axiom were happy to send me PDFs when I was only sent DVD-R checkdiscs to review, so it might be worth getting in touch with them. They're not bad - in terms of content and page count probably closer to Second Run level than MoC/BFI/Criterion, but still worth having.

Dadapass

#56 Post by Dadapass » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:51 pm

DVDBeaver on À l'aventure

Nothing

#57 Post by Nothing » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:34 am

Gary misses the point. At his best (De bruit et de fureur, Choses secrètes, Les savates du bon Dieu), Brisseau can teach a thing or two to any French filmmaker of his generation. A l'aventure, however, is disappointing - not as bad as the deeply defensive Les anges exterminateurs, but nevertheless insubstantive, only spasmodically convincing and (as in Céline) indulging his interest in the occult to a distracting degree. Nevertheless, comparisons to Tinto Brass are unwarranted.

tojoed

#58 Post by tojoed » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:06 am

MichaelB

#59 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:54 am

Probably safe to assume the source will be the same Wim Wenders-approved master that fuelled the Criterion Blu-ray, so this is excellent news.

tojoed

#60 Post by tojoed » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:21 am

Details of the "Wings of Desire" Blu :
■1080/23.98p 1.66:1 Widescreen (extras in SD PAL format)
■German 5.1 DTS-HD MA with optional English subtitles
■Feature-length commentary with Wim Wenders and Peter Falk
■Deleted scenes with optional commentary
■‘Conversations on Wings of Desire’ featurette
■Trailer
■Exclusive limited edition 24 page collector’s booklet

tojoed

#61 Post by tojoed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:58 pm

Claude Goretta's "The Lacemaker" in July. This is the first time this has been released on DVD, I think.

Hopscotch

#62 Post by Hopscotch » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:20 pm

[irrelevant now]
Last edited by Hopscotch on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fiery Angel

#63 Post by Fiery Angel » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm

tojoed wrote:Claude Goretta's "The Lacemaker" in July. This is the first time this has been released on DVD, I think.
Now it's listed as being released on December 6. Damn--one of the great films and I still only have the lousy VHS!

charal

Re: Axiom

#64 Post by charal » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Axiom are releasing Claude Goretta's THE LACEMAKER in the UK in June.

The only version available at present is from Switzerland sans subs.

kekid

#65 Post by kekid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:55 pm

charal wrote:Axiom are releasing Claude Goretta's THE LACEMAKER in the UK in June.

The only version available at present is from Switzerland sans subs.
The Lacemaker has been delayed 3 times since the initial announcement. I will believe it when I see it.

marnum

#66 Post by marnum » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:21 am

kekid wrote:The Lacemaker has been delayed 3 times since the initial announcement. I will believe it when I see it.
Amazon lists it now as Currently unavailable.

kekid

#67 Post by kekid » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:42 pm

I got a message from Amazon today that The Lacemaker will not be available, and my order has been cancelled. They apologized that it took them this long (close to a year) to conclude that.

GaryC

#68 Post by GaryC » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:27 am

kekid wrote:I got a message from Amazon today that The Lacemaker will not be available, and my order has been cancelled. They apologized that it took them this long (close to a year) to conclude that.
Damn - I would have bought that too. That was the second (subtitled) foreign-language film I ever saw - on BBC2 in late 1981 in their Film International slot - and it was the one which really started me watching films in other languages. (I remember that the following week's film was Hungarian - Angi Vera - but as I haven't seen that since I remember it much less well, barely at all actually. My parents watched The Lacemaker with me, but as they didn't want to watch most future films in the slot, I had to watch them on a black and white portable until they went to bed. My first foreign-language film, by the way, was a TV showing of the Egyptian film The Night of Counting the Years on that same portable - if someone can tell me which year that was shown on BBC2, I'd be grateful, as I can't remember and can't trace it - there's no record in the BFI's database.)

charal

#69 Post by charal » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:34 am

Being disappointed with Axiom's failure to release the film decided me to watch the film on youtube. I had not seen it before and thankfully someone uploaded it (with Italian subs) a few months ago. It is in 8 parts. It is a simple story but a rich, multi-layered work. A wonderful cinematic experience. I find it to be (partly) a political film of sorts: a critique on the class system, albeit on a very personal level.

My French is not fluent but strangely enough, with the Italian text, I understood more than I would have without any subs at all. Don't let the lack of English subs put you off, this film must be seen.

By the way Axiom have another classic Goretta film: THE INVITATION up at Amazon as a December release.

kekid

#70 Post by kekid » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:08 pm

I have the Criterion laserdisc of The Lacemaker. I hope they release it some day in USA in Blu Ray format. Don't know if there are any rights issues.

Calvin

#71 Post by Calvin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Axiom are giving Asghar Farhadi's About Elly a theatrical release next week. Presumably a DVD/Blu-Ray will follow.

bigP

#72 Post by bigP » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Calvin wrote:Axiom are giving Asghar Farhadi's About Elly a theatrical release next week. Presumably a DVD/Blu-Ray will follow.
January 28th on DVD

Nadsat

#74 Post by Nadsat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:07 am

MichaelB

#75 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:57 am

Excellent - this'll be much cheaper than the Criterion for me, and it looks as though it's effectively identical where it counts.