Lionsgate: High Noon

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Jeff

Lionsgate: High Noon

#1 Post by Jeff » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:07 pm

Lionsgate starts unleashing their remastered Republic titles with this one on June 10. It will be a two-disc set and will use the restoration Paramount completed a couple of years ago. Here is the cover art, which apparently features Gary Cooper about to scale a giant fiberglass cowboy.

• Audio Commentary with Maria Cooper-Janis, Jonathan Foreman , Tim Zinnemann and John Ritter
• “Inside High Noon” – 50-Minute Documentary on the Making of High Noon
• “Tex Ritter: A Visit to Carthage, Texas” – Portrait Piece on the Tex Ritter Museum
• Full-Length Tex Ritter Performance of Oscar-Winning Original Song “Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin’” on the Jimmy Dean TV Show
• “The Making of High Noon” Featurette
• “Behind High Noon” Featurette
• Radio Broadcast with Tex Ritter
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Person

#2 Post by Person » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:02 pm

Nice one, Jeff. Well spotted.

The cover for High Noon is shite, I feel. A remastered Invasion of the Body Snatchers will be most fucking welcome, as I have badly wanted to revisit it recently.

Andre de Toth's, Pitfall and Ramrod would also be most appreciated.

Jeff

#3 Post by Jeff » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:59 pm

Specs from Classicflix:

• Audio Commentary with Maria Cooper-Janis, Jonathan Foreman , Tim Zinnemann and John Ritter
• “Inside High Noon” – 50-Minute Documentary on the Making of High Noon
• “Tex Ritter: A Visit to Carthage, Texas” – Portrait Piece on the Tex Ritter Museum
• Full-Length Tex Ritter Performance of Oscar-Winning Original Song “Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin'” on the Jimmy Dean TV Show
• “The Making of High Noon” Featurette
• “Behind High Noon” Featurette
• Radio Broadcast with Tex Ritter

exte

#4 Post by exte » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:02 pm

John Ritter?

Jeff

#5 Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:11 pm

exte wrote:John Ritter?
The commentary was recorded for the previous DVD of High Noon, which was released before Ritter died, if that's what you're referring to.

kekid

#6 Post by kekid » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Blu-ray expected anytime soon?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:43 pm

That collection of extras is a joke, this is a film which begs for academic extras and instead we get sure-to-be pandering making-ofs and tangentially related bonus material

Jeff

#8 Post by Jeff » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:That collection of extras is a joke, this is a film which begs for academic extras and instead we get sure-to-be pandering making-ofs and tangentially related bonus material
The new documentary feature Inside High Noon will probably be somewhat fluffy, but it features Stephen Prince and supposedly focuses on the blacklist controversy.

Jeff

#9 Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:53 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:02 am

It can not be overstated how good this new transfer looks, the screencaps don't even do it justice. The best I've ever seen a film of this age look, absolutely beautiful picture quality. =D>

Scharphedin2

#11 Post by Scharphedin2 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:47 am

I picked this up through the DDD sale as well, and am also very happy with the transfer. Obviously, I have never had the chance to see such a clean and crisp presentation of the film.

Pleasing as it is to the eye, it is not quite as pleasing to my ears, however. The clean-up job on the film is almost too good, and I miss the crackle during the opening sequence on Tex Ritter's theme song. I always loved this particular opening, but somehow it seems less powerful in the almost clinical remastering that has taken place.

Very nice then to have the short clip from the Jimmy Dean show with Ritter performing the song live -- all in "beautifully" unrestored sound and image.

Rsdio

#12 Post by Rsdio » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:21 pm

Anyone know how it compares with the Australian release that supposedly offered the best picture prior to this? Just wondering if it's worth the upgrade.

HerrSchreck

#13 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:09 pm

I have it (LionsG).. and can say it'd be tough to beat even if a new one came (impossible) from WB or CC.