Mondo Vision

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Mathew2468

Re: Mondo Vision

#476 Post by Mathew2468 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:45 am

David M posted a pic of the packaging on page 18.
repeat wrote:Not for long though, as the CD is going out of print to my knowledge - Finders Keepers still seem to have copies left
I've run into mp3s all over the internet.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#477 Post by ola t » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:26 am

jindianajonz wrote:Just an FYI, my Limited Edition copy of La Femme Publique arrived today from Amazon, and I received number 1993/2000. Now I doubt they are giving them away in strict numerical order, but it does seem they've at least reached the bottom of the pile. If you want one, you may want to order soon!
Just to provide more data, I ordered mine after you posted this, and got number 532! So there's no way to tell how many they have left. (Haven't checked the numbers on the other films yet.) Still, thanks for giving me the impulse to finally buy them, I've been dragging my feet for too long.

JimmyTango

#478 Post by JimmyTango » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Will Possession be released before 2014?

Mathew2468

#479 Post by Mathew2468 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Gah, David M, please tell us something. I was thinking he might've gotten mangled in a machine and that was the so-called "manufacturing error", but he's posting elsewhere. DVD authorers don't go near the machines. I just almost bought the second sight for the second time on amazon with my debit card but thankfully I didn't have enough funds. I'm afraid it'll work the third time.

MichaelB

#480 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:10 am

I doubt David knows any more than the rest of us.

David M.

#481 Post by David M. » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:25 am

Right you are. If I know (and I'm allowed to talk about it) then you'll know.

JonathanK

#482 Post by JonathanK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:27 pm

JimmyTango wrote:Will Possession be released before 2014?
No update on MV website yet, at this point it doesn't look like it will!
Mathew2468 wrote:Gah, David M, please tell us something. I was thinking he might've gotten mangled in a machine and that was the so-called "manufacturing error", but he's posting elsewhere. DVD authorers don't go near the machines. I just almost bought the second sight for the second time on amazon with my debit card but thankfully I didn't have enough funds. I'm afraid it'll work the third time.
Second Sight BD is a good option even MV is telling people to go for it. We don't know the exact reason behind the delay but I'm sure Mondo isn't very happy about it either. Like you said David is in charge of authoring not what is happening with MV internally, we can't expect him to post an answer every time the same question is raised.

Mathew2468

#483 Post by Mathew2468 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Yes, I went ahead and ordered the second sight yesterday. Will hopefully double dip with the MV when I'm able to.

EddieLarkin

#484 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:28 am

Thought I'd drop them a quick email. Response:
Mondo Vision wrote:Dear Nick,

Thank you for checking back.

Unfortunately we are still tied up in production. We were forced to change
manufacturers in the middle of ongoing production which has caused a big
financial blow to our bottom line and a ridiculously delayed release.

Good news is that we are working with a new manufacturer for the past couple
of months and we hope to get the film out in early 2014.

Thanks again for your patience!
Mazi
I'm still holding out for this one, glad it shouldn't be much longer. Very sad to hear about what this is costing them though.

David M.

#485 Post by David M. » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:32 am

I can confirm that the final BD replication master is leaving here for manufacturing in the next few weeks.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#486 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:13 pm

That's great! After the Second Sight release refused to work on my player after the subway scene, I can't wait to see a copy that will work!

Adam X

#487 Post by Adam X » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Fantastic news! Glad to see things are moving toward completion.
I'm looking forward to seeing the results of all the hard work put in.

skeets kelly

#488 Post by skeets kelly » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:47 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:That's great! After the Second Sight release refused to work on my player after the subway scene, I can't wait to see a copy that will work!
hm. same thing happened to mine. even did a firmware update and it seemed to fix the problem...slightly.

Mathew2468

#489 Post by Mathew2468 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:45 am

Happened to me. I'm afraid to update my player. Also afraid to buy new Region-B Blus.

David M.

#490 Post by David M. » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Firmware updates do not solve disc read issues - only cases where the programming code on the disc crashes (usually into a black screen on a BD-Java disc).

You shouldn't ever need to update firmware to play any of the discs coming out of the UK indie labels. See this explanation: http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtop ... MV#p456473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skeets kelly

#491 Post by skeets kelly » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:08 pm

David M. wrote:Firmware updates do not solve disc read issues - only cases where the programming code on the disc crashes (usually into a black screen on a BD-Java disc).

You shouldn't ever need to update firmware to play any of the discs coming out of the UK indie labels. See this explanation: http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtop ... MV#p456473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the subway scene turned into a horrible, stuttering mess for me. i did a firmware update, and now it only catches for a few seconds after the subway scene, and makes it way more watchable.

with blu-ray i can't tell it if it's the authoring or my player or a combination of the two or neither, so i decided to not return it for fear of it just happening again.

i'll probably end up buying the mondo vision disc, which makes me think i should have waited for it to come out in the first place.

Mathew2468

#492 Post by Mathew2468 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:11 pm

So did we just get bad discs?

Rupert Pupkin

#493 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:31 am

I got the same problem with "Possession" BR Second Sight edition...

I'm not sure if I've understood the discussion here : did "Second Sight" is aware of a manufacture problem and will propose to replace the Blu-Ray with this bug ?

this happens for me just in the middle of the subway scene...

but yes it's really frustrating to watch a movie with such a stunning PQ and getting a cold shower in the whole middle of the movie. ](*,)
(at that time, I could do anything (= and I mean doing anything) for making a disk working (uploading quickly a firmware, etc....) So I learned my past mistakes and I try to stay cool, humming some helium and I didn't update my firmware because you never now... After you can have some problems with some disks which were just fine... (well and I didn't try to clean the disk, because generally I start with a soft special cleaner stuff and end after 1 hour with a scraper sponge full of frustration) just to make a single disk working. ](*,)

What I suspect is that the problems has something to do :
a) the changed of layer of the disk - authoring bug
b) or a bad pressing which makes the play of the disk "bugging"

since it sounds like if the "buffer" of my stand-alone blu-ray player was empty, while the picture was freezing.
Here's what I did : and I was able to watch the whole subway scene in its entirety. Moreover the movie didn't freeze at all and I was able to watch it in its entirety.
I press stop, reload the menu, goes just before the subway scene chapter and played it again.
it works.

(I've tried after having watched the movie) and it worked again.

My guess is that it depends with the player you have. Mine was enough "tolerant" to play the disk depiste this misspressing.
By the way, when the subway scene is replayed, I didn't see any pixel artefacts.

looks like the "Walkabout" - freezing- Criterion problem.

By the way, do you have any update about "Possession" or "La Femme Publique" on blu-ray by Mondo Vision ? ??

fdm

#494 Post by fdm » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:12 am

Second Sight's BD seemed to play okay on my Oppo. It's been pretty tolerant of discs that would do similar things to what's described here on my other since retired player.

MichaelB

#495 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:03 am

It played absolutely fine for me, although admittedly I had a check disc rather than the final retail version.

eltopo

#496 Post by eltopo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:28 am

Happy Birthday Andrzej Żuławski! :D

htshell

#497 Post by htshell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Seventh Art has a clip from Short Life, Long Death: The Making and Unmaking of On The Silver Globe.

EddieLarkin

#498 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:32 pm

An announcement of both Possession and On the Silver Globe (on BD!) would sure make up for this 2 year delay.

Mathew2468

#499 Post by Mathew2468 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:39 pm

That clip's been on youtube for a while.

JimmyTango

#500 Post by JimmyTango » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:39 am

I agree with Eddie, it is more than time to release Possession and On the Silver Globe. If production costs are to blame couldn't Mondo Vision launch a kickstarter to come up with the necessary funds? Zulawski's popularity has grown in recent years what with all the various exposure from film festival appearances and exhibitions. A simple donation drive could also help speed up the other remaining Mondo Vision titles not yet in production like Boris Godunov. If Walerian Borowczyk's filmography could receive the amount of appreciaton through fan support for the sake of preservation, I don't see why Zulawski couldn't.