It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
 Post subject: Re: Mondo Vision
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:48 pm 

Just noticed that The Third Part of the Night, The Devil and On the Silver Globe have been combined into "The Polish Trilogy" on their Films page, with a status of "in production." I wonder if Zulawski's passing curtailed some of their plans for these titles and forced them to go ahead with an earlier release?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:00 am 

merzbau wrote:
Just noticed that The Third Part of the Night, The Devil and On the Silver Globe have been combined into "The Polish Trilogy" on their Films page, with a status of "in production." I wonder if Zulawski's passing curtailed some of their plans for these titles and forced them to go ahead with an earlier release?

Are those a Blu-ray releases?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:25 am 

It doesn't say. It's just a change to the list of films, but doesn't have any release details, just implies that all three are in production together.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:41 am 

Well, it's been almost a year since the last post. If David M is still reading this thread, any updates on The Polish Trilogy release?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm 

^ Unfortunately not, but I did come here to share this good news!

I asked Mondo Vision where things are at with LA NOTE BLEUE (THE BLUE NOTE) and it turns out it just arrived back from manufacturing, and as you'd expect for an MV title, they've put it in gorgeous packaging. The release date supposedly is set for February 13, 2017, and assuming that doesn't change, it should be available to pre-order on Mondo Vision's web site in the next few days.

Image Image

This is a personal one for me, because it was a long journey to get it onto BD. Originally, Mondo Vision were supplied with a PAL telecine that was covered in noise reduction (it's been released on DVD in numerous countries). I advised them against releasing it even on DVD and for trying for something better, which was not a popular decision at the time (although Mondo Vision agreed). If we released it, we'd be putting out a watchable but not exactly great version of the film. But by not releasing it at all, we'd be nixing the first ever English-friendly version of the film.

Ultimately, I got the rightsholder to agree to do a new scan under the condition that I'd handle all the restoration and grading work on my own, which they'd also have access to. The only way to get it done really was to give them an offer that was too good to refuse. Fortunately they agreed and we ended up with a gorgeous new scan from the negative to work from.

It took a long time to finish the work because of all my other industry commitments in both BD and the CE industry, but it was in a near-finished state by the end of last year. Andrzej was able to see it before he died, and Andrzej Jaroszewicz was able to point out all the parts I'd graded incorrectly when he visited New York in early 2016 (during the American COSMOS premiere). Quite an experience having a legendary DoP sit in your apartment to check the work. I then did final adjustments to correct the grade to its intended look (I'd graded it too hot, and he explained that the look is supposed to be similar to a Baroque painting).

The release also has what is probably the last video interview with Marie-France Pisier, where she discusses working with Zulawski, among other things. It was shot for the cancelled Mondo Vision DVD version in February 2011, and has been archived ever since. I'm glad this entire thing is finally on its way to people's hands.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:39 pm 

Ooh, that looks beautiful. How can a pianist turn down a movie about Chopin? Looking forward to the release. The LE looks gorgeous, I just ordered "the Possession", it's apparently still in stock on Toufaan's website. My guess is that this release will be a nice companion.

PS: Why must there be so many great releases in the Blu-ray world...an embarrassment of riches, making our wallets quite a bit lighter.

PPS: On a side note, I just watched the last entry of Dekalog, and felt that 50-60 years from now our children will have to inherit these massive LE boxes. Maybe a stamp collection is easier...NOT.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:21 pm 

Well that's the best sort of 'no update'! Thanks David! It's great to see Mondo continuing with BD releases of their films - I just hope the extra cost doesn't sink the ship.
It looks wonderful, as usual. Been looking forward to this even more since listening to the 4-pt Zulawski retrospective on Samm Deighan & Kat Ellinger's enjoyable Daughters of Darkness podcast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:47 pm 

Preorders are live on Mondo Vision's site!
http://www.mondo-vision.com/collection.php

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:05 pm 

David M. wrote:
Preorders are live on Mondo Vision's site!
http://www.mondo-vision.com/collection.php

Wohoo! I wonder if they may ship before the release date. Anyone with previous experience on Mondo Vision releases? I just Pre-Ordered on Toufaan.

The photos of the packaging look even more beautiful/classic/timeless than Possession (although I thought Possession has an almost unbeatable cover image).

Having not seen the movie, I wonder how the pianist portraying Chopin comes off. As a musician I no doubt will love not seeing the typical "fake" piano playing, but it does make me nervous about his acting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:52 pm 

Quote:
Having not seen the movie, I wonder how the pianist portraying Chopin comes off. As a musician I no doubt will love not seeing the typical "fake" piano playing, but it does make me nervous about his acting.

Zulawski actually addresses this part in the special features. There's a video interview with him that was also shot for the nixed DVD release. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:51 pm 

That is a wonderful looking set. Have to pick up a copy. Which reminds me that I should probably delve into Filmoteka Narodowa's Chopin: Films Motifs as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:22 pm 

Any Canadian/Outside US - Mondo Vision fans here with TOUFAAN order experience? I am contemplating ordering three older LE's, an order above $100, but I am concerned about import/customs fees. Any advice is appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:01 pm 

PianoMan88 wrote:
Any Canadian/Outside US - Mondo Vision fans here with TOUFAAN order experience? I am contemplating ordering three older LE's, an order above $100, but I am concerned about import/customs fees. Any advice is appreciated.

Just received my LE copy of Possession.

No issues, no customs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:15 am 

PianoMan88 wrote:

I think they mark them as gifts so there aren't any import fees. I don't remember. Never had trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:39 am 

Diabolik DVD is listing having the standard and limited editions of LA NOTE BLEUE in stock, so hoping that MV preorders start going out soon!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:34 pm 

Daniel Bird states in the On the Sliver Globe episode of The Projection Booth podcast states that he has "no idea if it (the Blu-Ray) will ever come out."

Interesting as I assumed Daniel Bird is working on Mondo Vision's Blu Ray of The Polish Trilogy, (The Devil, The Third Part of the Night, On the Silver Globe) as he's worked on the other Zulawski releases.

Does David MacKenzie have any info on this?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:29 am 

PianoMan88 wrote:

I ordered La Note Bleue LTD edition to the UK, and got a very high import fee (£21.00) slapped on top, so it cost me just shy of £100. I'd avoid Toufaan outside of US, and stick with Diabolik or if stuff shows up on Ebay. Great release though, hopefully they'll license the print out to Arrow or Second Sight so it can be seen in Europe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:47 pm 

Last night I ordered 4 limited edition sets through Toufaan and the other 2 through Amazon

(1 of Andrzej Zulawski's L'Amour Braque (Limpet Love, 1985) UNCUT Premium Signature Edition [LIMITED: 2,000 Numbered Sets] by MONDO VISION

1 of Andrzej Zulawski's SZAMANKA (She-Shaman, 1996) UNCUT Premium Signature Edition [LIMITED: 2,000 Numbered Sets] by MONDO VISION.

I'm surprised they add on such a high customs fee. Is this typical for those who order outside North America or just a quirk of this company? Doesn't seem fair.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26