Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
TheDoman

Re: Cinema Guild

#76 Post by TheDoman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:10 am

cinemaguild wrote:
We're big admirers of Petzold's work, and really the entire Berlin school. If you haven't done so already, you should also check out our DVD of Maren Ade's EVERYONE ELSE.

You can keep up with all of our releases, especially upcoming titles, at cinemaguild.com/homevideo - and of course, our facebook and twitter pages.
Me too, the first BS I saw was In Den Tag.. and I loved the atmosphere and pacing of the film and realised BS has quite a few directors like that. Most films with Sabine Timoteo in are great! But Petzold; his work is very interesting, and the closest I can think of is Revanche (second half of the film), for the characters, mood/pacing, existential drama/thriller and topics he has dealt with.

I haven't seen everyone else yet, so I will try and get hold of it. Thanks for the tip

justeleblanc

#77 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Has anyone else seen Guerin's TRAIN OF SHADOWS? Is it in fact a real documentary or is it all a hoax? Can anyone at Cinema Guild clear this up for us?

cinemaguild

#78 Post by cinemaguild » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Fierias wrote:
cinemaguild wrote: We're big admirers of Petzold's work, and really the entire Berlin school.
Would you perhaps, then, be interested in finding a home for Hochhäusler's superb The City Below? [-o<
We haven't seen this one. But will track down a screener.

Ishmael

#79 Post by Ishmael » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:25 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Has anyone else seen Guerin's TRAIN OF SHADOWS? Is it in fact a real documentary or is it all a hoax? Can anyone at Cinema Guild clear this up for us?
It's been awhile since I've seen it (and I hope I'm thinking of the right Guerin film), but weren't those the same actors in the "old" segments and in the "new" segments? Looked like it to me, and that's your answer right there. I dont' know if hoax is quite the right word, but it's not a documentary in the usual sense of the word.

justeleblanc

#80 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Hoax would imply an audience so I agree it's the wrong word. But are they the same actors?

Ishmael

#81 Post by Ishmael » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Well, I thought they were the same actors, but then again I have prosopagnosia, so don't trust me implicitly. A friend of mine pointed out that the actors in the old footage are wearing makeup...which they wouldn't be if the footage were really home movies taken long ago (I seem to recall that the conceit was that these were amateur home movies).

knives

#82 Post by knives » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:59 am

I finally got to my first Manoel de Oliveira, Eccentricities of a Blonde Haired Girl, and while at first I didn't love it it leaves this after taste that sticks. At first it didn't seem unusual or spectacular in any way, but as it moved on a sense of strangeness began to fill the atmosphere. I'm not sure what the cause of that strangeness is considering just how straightforward it is, but it manages to carry the weight of greatness through mood alone. The images are beautifully composed with shining reds and browns like a painting of the romantics age which probably aids in this. I wish I had a still handy any image of the film will sell you instantly. The actors are very much a part of this painting too with limited movement as if they were talking sculptures.
This very asture style could have been boring, but the story is so smooth and quick that the thought never enters the mind. The story actually is very familiar to Rohmer's moral tales. There are some interesting differences(for example only one girl), but the tone and the problems faced are eerily reminiscent. The story doesn't feel great for most of the movie though. I'm not sure why, but the story doesn't turn from good to great until the last four minutes when the story is essentially shot in the foot. Maybe it is because I didn't expect it to go where it did, but those last four minutes as nothing short of pure amazement.

cinemaguild

#83 Post by cinemaguild » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Jacques Rivette's AROUND A SMALL MOUNTAIN comes out today on DVD!

Bonus features include an excellent audio commentary by film scholar Chris Fujiwara, who discusses not only this film but Rivette's entire oeuvre. Also, a short interview with Jane Birkin, who describes working with Rivette while talking with her daughter Charlotte Gainsbourg who at the same time was working with Lars von Trier on ANTICHRIST. Plus an essay by Film Quarterly editor Rob White, "A Safe Circus," that looks at AROUND A SMALL MOUNTAIN in the context of other circus films, everything from LOLA MONTES to Chaplin's THE CIRCUS to DUMBO.

You can purchase the DVD at 25% off at http://www.cinemaguild.com/homevideo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JeanRZEJ

#84 Post by JeanRZEJ » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm really looking forward to the release of In the City of Sylvia and Some Photos In the City of Sylvia, and I'm grateful that you were able to bring Everyone Else to the cinema (even if I had to drive an hour to get there). More than anything, though, I'm looking forward to the Sokurov Early Masterworks set. I hope that's still on. Anyway, is there any time frame for that release, broad or specific? It seems to be your first large compilation set, so I imagine there are a lot of details to iron out, but I hope a lot of people are looking forward to it.

cinemaguild

#85 Post by cinemaguild » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:02 pm

JeanRZEJ wrote:I'm really looking forward to the release of In the City of Sylvia and Some Photos In the City of Sylvia, and I'm grateful that you were able to bring Everyone Else to the cinema (even if I had to drive an hour to get there). More than anything, though, I'm looking forward to the Sokurov Early Masterworks set. I hope that's still on. Anyway, is there any time frame for that release, broad or specific? It seems to be your first large compilation set, so I imagine there are a lot of details to iron out, but I hope a lot of people are looking forward to it.
First off, thanks for your support across all these titles!!

The IN THE CITY OF SYLVIA disc is shaping up to be pretty great (and substantial).

And the SOKUROV: EARLY MASTERWORKS box is indeed still on the way. We've already started working on it and it should be ready in the fall. We'll announce a definitive date in the coming weeks.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#86 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Bought the Rivette, watched it (my second viewing -- saw it screened a while back), enjoyed it (again) -- so glad it got rteleased.

cinemaguild

#87 Post by cinemaguild » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Bought the Rivette, watched it (my second viewing -- saw it screened a while back), enjoyed it (again) -- so glad it got rteleased.
Great! Not sure if you've checked it out yet, but the commentary by Chris Fujiwara is excellent. He discusses the film in the context of Rivette's entire body of work.

justeleblanc

#88 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm

Any of Guerin's short films being included on the SYLVIA release?

cinemaguild

#89 Post by cinemaguild » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:33 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Any of Guerin's short films being included on the SYLVIA release?
We won't have any stand-alone short films. Only work by Guerin that's somehow associated with In the City or Some Photos.

Finch

#90 Post by Finch » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:22 pm

I hope Angelica is performing well in the selected cities - when do you think you can make a firm decision on it making to Blu or not? (I'd still buy the DVD if the HD transfer doesn't happen)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#91 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:48 pm

cinemaguild wrote:Great! Not sure if you've checked it out yet, but the commentary by Chris Fujiwara is excellent. He discusses the film in the context of Rivette's entire body of work.
I Only had time to listen to a bit, so far. It sounded interesting -- but I was disappointed that he didn't make a connection between the French title of Rivette's film and Hokusai's famous series of prints of Mt. Fuji (36 vues du Mont Fuji -- in French). ;~}

cinemaguild

#92 Post by cinemaguild » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Finch wrote:I hope Angelica is performing well in the selected cities - when do you think you can make a firm decision on it making to Blu or not? (I'd still buy the DVD if the HD transfer doesn't happen)
Probably within a month or two. We still need to see how the rest of the release goes, and how our first blu-ray (MARWENCOL) performs.

knives

#93 Post by knives » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Speaking of Angelica were you able to look into to recently restored Aniki Bobo and Douro, Faina Fluvial as either it's own release or a supplement?

cinemaguild

#94 Post by cinemaguild » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:05 pm

knives wrote:Speaking of Angelica were you able to look into to recently restored Aniki Bobo and Douro, Faina Fluvial as either it's own release or a supplement?
Anik Bobo is too long to include as a supplement, but Douro Faina Fluvial is something we're definitely looking into. It would make a great addition.

rockysds

#95 Post by rockysds » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:50 pm

cinemaguild

#96 Post by cinemaguild » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:06 pm

You beat us to it! But yes, we're very excited to be releasing this beautiful, one-of-a-kind film on DVD later this year. Glorious B&W, incredible sound, bonus features... it will be marvelous.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#97 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:33 pm

I'm sure Cinema Guild will do a bang-up job, but my faith in ATP as Criterion release predictor is seriously shaken.

cinemaguild

#98 Post by cinemaguild » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 am

August 2, 2011

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#99 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 am

Hallelujah!

heredity4me

#100 Post by heredity4me » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 am

That's terrific news! I always thought Marwencol was a strange choice for the first blu, but this will be my first physical purchase from Cinema Guild. I've seen most of the theatrical runs of their fantastic films. Hoping for slim chance of blu reissues of 35 Shots, 24 City, Petzolds, and Alexandra.