Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
cinemaguild

Re: Cinema Guild

#26 Post by cinemaguild » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:37 pm

jonah.77 wrote:I was very glad you included the lengthy interview with Claire Denis on the 35 SHOTS OF RUM DVD (although it's too bad the clips weren't included, presumably for rights reasons).
Yep, rights issues, unfortunately. But we felt the Wexner Center interview was so great, we couldn't pass it up.

cinemaguild

#27 Post by cinemaguild » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:59 pm

SWEETGRASS comes to DVD next Tuesday!

Bonus features include Directors Commentary, Additional Scenes, Fan Photo Gallery, Trailer, 5.1 Soundtrack (a must for this film) and a comprehensive essay by Robert Koehler, "SWEETGRASS and the Future of Nonfiction Cinema"

Dadapass

#28 Post by Dadapass » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:50 am

Cinema Guild has the following as upcoming titles:

In the City of Sylvia - José Luis Guerín
Daguerreotypes - Agnes Varda
Around A Small Mountain - Jacques Rivette
&
Sokurov: Early Masterworks
Save and Protect
Whispering Pages
Stone

Zazou dans le Metro

#29 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:34 am

This is most certainly a label to keep tabs on. Thanks too ,if you're listening, for the Claire Denis extras which involved a
triple dip for me. Looking forward to Sokurov and Rivette greatly.

Fierias

#30 Post by Fierias » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Also certainly worth noting that Cinema Guild wrote on their twitter that they will indeed be (the only company) releasing In the City of Sylvia in its correct aspect ratio of 1.66:1.

Murdoch

#31 Post by Murdoch » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:02 pm

Great news, nice to know the film will appear stateside in OAR. And more available Rivette is always a good thing.

knives

#32 Post by knives » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:40 pm

I guess it wasn't a joke that Rivette would come to the US only after he made a short feature. Excited nonetheless, and they have Shirin? Why haven't I heard of this label before? Are they the same people that handled the theatrical release of 35 Shots of Rum and if so what are the chances of the Rivette also getting a theatrical?

joshua

#33 Post by joshua » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:14 pm

The Rivette already had a limited run starting a couple of months back. Here are the final dates listed.

NOVEMBER 2010
November 3, 2010 - Northwest Film Center, Portland, OR
November 12, 2010 - Angelika Film Center, Dallas, TX
November 12, 2010 - Angelika Film Center, Houston, TX
November 16, 2010 - George Eastman House, Rochester, NY

DECEMBER 2010
December 17, 2010 - Wexner Center for the Arts, Columbus, OH

Edit: it looks like CA dates were back in July and September. It was at the Gaslamp in San Diego on 9/10.
Last edited by joshua on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murdoch

#34 Post by Murdoch » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Coming to the Eastman house \:D/

knives

#35 Post by knives » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:18 pm

joshua wrote: Edit: it looks like CA dates were back in July and September. It was at the Gaslamp in San Diego on 9/10.
Doh, just a short walk too. Where'd you get that information. The CG website doesn't seem to show theatrical listings.

joshua

#36 Post by joshua » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:23 pm

From here

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#37 Post by nick » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:10 pm

Murdoch wrote:Coming to the Eastman house
Actually that date is incorrect as it already played on Nov 6th at the Eastman House.

Murdoch

#38 Post by Murdoch » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:14 pm

And my day is ruined.

heredity4me

#39 Post by heredity4me » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:46 am

Looks like Cristi Puiu's Aurora is coming out through Cinema Guild. This may not be on the top of my list of films they have released but yet it is still another worthy release. I'm consistently impressed with the fine caliber of films they put out.

Although I wish Cinema Guild would make the switch to blu-ray which I think their representative said was coming earlier in this thread but yet there has been no news since. With a little artwork overhaul and a blu-ray switch I would be buying a lot of things from this company: 35 Shots of Rum, Alexandra, 24 City, Eccentricities and on and on...

roujin

#40 Post by roujin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

joshua wrote:November 12, 2010 - Angelika Film Center, Dallas, TX
Managed to catch it on the last day.

Stefan Andersson

#41 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:37 am

Hi Cinema Guild!
If you plan to release The Strange Case of Angelica on DVD, here´s an idea for an extra: "Manoel de Oliveira Absoludo", a 35 minute docu on Manoel de Oliveira, made during the shooting by Leon Cakoff. Read a bit more here (re: a festival showing of the film) in Portuguese.

Another possible extra would be Cakoff´s other MdO docu, "A Day in the Life of Manoel de Oliveira", featured (no English subtitles) on the bonus disc of the 22-title Oliveira DVD box set released by Lusomundo in Portugal.

cinemaguild

#42 Post by cinemaguild » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Stefan Andersson wrote:If you plan to release The Strange Case of Angelica on DVD, here´s an idea for an extra: "Manoel de Oliveira Absoludo", a 35 minute docu on Manoel de Oliveira, made during the shooting by Leon Cakoff. Read a bit more here (re: a festival showing of the film) in Portuguese.

Another possible extra would be Cakoff´s other MdO docu, "A Day in the Life of Manoel de Oliveira", featured (no English subtitles) on the bonus disc of the 22-title Oliveira DVD box set released by Lusomundo in Portugal.
Thanks!! We'll look into both of them.

ANGELICA will open in NY on December 29 and roll out to other cities in early 2011.

zedz

#43 Post by zedz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:34 pm

The Strange Case of Angelica is a fantastic film, even by de Oliveira's stringent standards. Don't miss it if it screens near you. And it's great to hear the DVD release is in good hands.

cinemaguild

#44 Post by cinemaguild » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:01 pm

zedz wrote:And it's great to hear the DVD release is in good hands.
Thanks.

Here's the new poster:

You can see the trailer here.

John Cope

#45 Post by John Cope » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Aside from the Oliveira (which it goes without saying I'm eagerly anticipating), for me the Sokurov set is the most enticing future prospect out there at the moment. All of those films are just gold and so very difficult to get a hold of anywhere, with or without subs. There's much to be said about each but I'll keep it in reserve until more have had the opportunity to see them in solid transfers. Suffice it to be said for now that I look foward to finally placing Save and Protect into a proper dialogue with the other official-or-not Bovary adaptations.

Do you have any ideas yet as to possible features for this set or an approximate release date?

cinemaguild

#46 Post by cinemaguild » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:20 pm

John Cope wrote:Do you have any ideas yet as to possible features for this set or an approximate release date?
We're still finalizing the bonus features, but we can definitely say there'll be some interesting, unique stuff there. Plus, all three films will have brand new translations.

Release will be in late spring / early summer 2011.

whaleallright

#47 Post by whaleallright » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:15 pm

Just wanted to make a public and enthusiastic "thank you!" to C.G. for releasing those Sokurovs. Especially the hallucinatory WHISPERING PAGES. This film had an extremely visceral effect on me: the hazy, anamorphic images left me feeling dizzy and disoriented, and I had to stagger out of the theater once or twice to get air. I don't know if that sounds like a recommendation to most people, but it's certainly an achievement. It's one of those films where I wonder if the effect can be replicated on home video, but since it's highly unlikely to be coming to a theater near you (unless you live in Paris), it's worth the experiment.

One small cavil, though: although these are some of Sokurov's earlier fiction (if that's the right word) features, he had been making films for over a decade before the first of them--so I don't know that they qualify as "early."

Anything like a release date on these?

AlexHansen

#48 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Psst, the post right above yours.

Finch

#49 Post by Finch » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:45 pm

cinemaguild wrote:ANGELICA will open in NY on December 29 and roll out to other cities in early 2011.
Any chance that you're going to release Angelica on Blu-Ray as well? [-o< (I'd still buy the DVD if no Blu's planned)

cinemaguild

#50 Post by cinemaguild » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Finch wrote:Any chance that you're going to release Angelica on Blu-Ray as well? [-o< (I'd still buy the DVD if no Blu's planned)
We hope so! But it all depends on the theatrical release.