Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
matrixschmatrix

Re: Cinema Guild

#151 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Haha, I like the dual format releases because it means that I can generously give a copy of the movie away to someone whom I think I can turn into a convert and still have my beautiful blu.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#152 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Again, as a teacher, dual format means I can enjoy the Blu at home and use the DVD in the classroom

Peacock

#153 Post by Peacock » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Count me in the separate releases crowd - keeps the prices down for the customer; and surely laptops and many more homes will fairly soon (two or three years) become Blu-ray compatible?

cinemaguild

#154 Post by cinemaguild » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:09 pm

We strongly weighed the benefits of a combo pack before we did MARWENCOL, our first blu, but ultimately felt that, as 'what a disgrace' notes, separate releases were somehow more aesthetically pleasing. We're always open to reconsidering, but for the moment we think they allow for a more clean, finished product. Of course, our hope is that we'll only be doing blu-ray releases in the near future!

All our blu-rays thus far are region free.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! We actually would love to get your thoughts on another topic ---

How much importance do you place on booklets/inserts in DVD packaging? Do you like critic essays or wish booklets included other things?

Jazzkammer

#155 Post by Jazzkammer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Booklets/inserts are always a nice touch! In fact, if I had to choose between a bare-bones blu-ray disc with a well written essay on the insert, or a blu-ray disc of a film with a couple uninteresting interviews with the cast, but no booklet/insert in packaging, I would choose the former. Even the brief James Quandt write-up that came with Eccentricities was a nice touch. I would even go so far as to say that if Cinema Guild wants to further cement its burgeoning reputation as a company on par with Criterion or MoC, then a booklet of some kind is almost essential.

knives

#156 Post by knives » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:33 pm

I love them. Naturally all extras are going to be hit or miss, but I find booklets as a quick way to cut the bull and get to the academic meat of the matter. It was especially helpful on Eccentricities.

JeanRZEJ

#157 Post by JeanRZEJ » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:50 pm

The value of a booklet depends on the quality of the book and the rarity of the material, to me. If it's a film with an overwhelming amount of critical work available online which goes into greater depth (and less synopsis) than the content included in the booklet then I don't see the point. If I have to scrape through compilations of criticism translated from Russian critics at the library to find anything written about the film - that is very helpful. Hence, I think it's more important for obscure Sokurov films from the early nineties than films with a relatively wide release in the internet age.

If your content is worth less than 5 minutes searching on the internet then it's not very valuable to me. If it can't be found anywhere else - then it's invaluable.

Additional material can often be very interesting, as well, depending on the film, like social/historical essays, production diaries, etc. which open up views of the film which are impossible to infer from a distant time and culture.

As a general rule: The more in depth the material, the better. The more distinct and obscure the material, the more valuable the breadth and depth of the supplements become.

jsteffe

#158 Post by jsteffe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Speaking of Sokurov, there are two collections about him in Russian edited by Liubov Arkus that are worth checking out. The first volume was published in 1994 and the second volume was published in 2006. Among other people, the noted Russian critic Mikhail Yampolsky contributed to them.

zedz

#159 Post by zedz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:59 pm

The value of a book is entirely down to its contents, as noted. MoC are surely the gold standard. BFI and Criterion are right behind, and Second Run, though they're generally smaller booklets, are often the only extended critical appraisals of the films that are readily available - thus invaluable.

On the other hand, major studios are generally terrible at producing booklets, since they're terrified to go beyond lowest-common-denominator puff pieces. These kind of products are worse than useless, they're infuriating.
Last edited by zedz on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#160 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:03 am

Haha, I got some OOP DVD from the early aughts and there was a four panel booklet inside and I was like, "What the shit is this, why do I need this collection of canted neon-bordered Christian Slater pix?"

Peacock

#161 Post by Peacock » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:46 am

I love having a booklet, and agree that the rarity of the material is very important. Kino's dvd of Liverpool has just an interview with Alonso in the booklet - but the interview is readily available online already; so it was pretty disappointing personally.

If you can only afford a couple of written pieces I recommend the frequent Second Run approach of a critical essay, and an interview with the director. But more of either of these things is very much welcomed (as well as stills!)...

TMDaines

#162 Post by TMDaines » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:18 am

zedz wrote:The value of a book is entirely down to its contents, as noted. MoC are surely the gold standard. BFI and Criterion are right behind, and Second Run, though they're generally smaller booklets, are often the only extended critical appraisals of the films that are readily available - thus invaluable.
Edition Filmmuseum and Ripley's Home Video deserve a place alongside MoC in my opinion. Their booklets are also always excellent and they're often bilingual to boot.

I hate the Blu-ray cases Criterion use. Every booklet is complete chewed up on the plastic on the inside spine.

cinemaguild

#163 Post by cinemaguild » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback!! We really appreciate it. We love including booklets with our DVDs (and asking some of the best writers working today to contribute their thoughts on a particular film) but were curious whether others felt the same way. So, glad you do!

And for those that mentioned James Quandt's terrific essay on ECCENTRICITIES, you'll be happy to know he's also involved with the ANGELICA release.

cinemaguild

#164 Post by cinemaguild » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:10 pm

We're very excited to announce the complete supplements package for our second blu-ray/DVD release, THE STRANGE CASE OF ANGELICA - which will include Manoel de Oliveira's first film, DOURA, FAINA FLUVIAL (LABOR ON THE DOURO RIVER).

SUPPLEMENTS:
· DOURO, FAINA FLUVIAL (1931, 20 minutes), the first film from Manoel de Oliveira, in a new 2K restoration (in HD on blu-ray)
· Audio Commentary by film critic and curator James Quandt
· OLIVEIRA L'ARCHITECTE (1992, 60 minutes), a documentary by Paulo Rocha
· ABSOLUTO (2010, 35 minutes), a conversation with Manoel de Oliviera during the filming of THE STRANGE CASE OF ANGELICA
· Theatrical Trailer
· Booklet featuring essay "Late Oliveira" by Haden Guest, Director of the Harvard Film Archive

Release date is September 20.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#165 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Wow, that is Moc/Criterion-level supplements. Well done!

John Cope

#166 Post by John Cope » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Absolutely fantastic news. I'm especially thrilled to see the Paulo Rocha doc (filmed around the time of Valley of Abraham so that should be especially interesting), the Cakoff piece and the Quandt commentary (and of course having an HD quality Douro is gratifying). So, I guess really all of it! This couldn't have been given any better treatment. Congratulations and thank you for your efforts.

What A Disgrace

#167 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:56 pm

I can scarcely imagine a contemporary film being treated that well. This will be a first day purchase.

knives

#168 Post by knives » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 pm

I just vomited in excitement. Thank you for picking up Doura this made my year. Now I just need to hear news of Aniki-Bóbó (don't want to import especially now) and life would be set.

monk0nuggets

#169 Post by monk0nuggets » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:51 am

I'm very much looking forward to this release.

cinemaguild

#170 Post by cinemaguild » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:22 am

Hello all, please remind Netflix of the value and importance of art house and foreign films by addng NE CHANGE RIEN, DAGUERREOTYPES and THE STRANGE CASE OF ANGELICA to your queue, even if you've seen the film or plan to buy. Here are the direct links -

NE CHANGE RIEN
http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Ne-Chan ... rkid=33859

DAGUERREOTYPES
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dague ... kid=496624

THE STRANGE CASE OF ANGELICA
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_S ... id=2361637

Thanks for your continued support!! And please help spread the word.

Murdoch

#171 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Just noticed the hulu channel, nice!

knives

#172 Post by knives » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:51 pm

Super nice. I'll finally be able to get to Everyone Else.

What A Disgrace

#173 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:13 pm

cinemaguild wrote:Hello all, please remind Netflix of the value and importance of art house and foreign films by addng NE CHANGE RIEN, DAGUERREOTYPES and THE STRANGE CASE OF ANGELICA to your queue
Everyone on this board who has Netflix should be doing this out of principal.

I did.

Stefan Andersson

#174 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:55 am

Hello Cinema Guild -- thank you very much for all the extras on ANGELICA. Excellent!

Dadapass

#175 Post by Dadapass » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 pm