Forthcoming: The Golem

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Eureka/Masters of Cinema and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here.
Forum rules
Please do not clutter up the threads for MoC titles with information on pre-orders. You can announce the availability of pre-orders in the MoC: Cheapest Prices / Best Places to Buy / Pre-Orders thread. Any posts on pre-orders in any other thread will be deleted.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Forthcoming: The Golem

#1 Post by Drucker » Thu May 02, 2019 1:47 pm

4k Restoration of The Golem coming to MOC this year.

C'mon MOC, make this your first UHD.

Tommaso

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#2 Post by Tommaso » Thu May 02, 2019 3:51 pm

Some time ago I speculated about MoC releasing the new "Golem". Very glad to see it actually happening; I'm sure they'll easily beat the German release, which is due in late June, in terms of general presentation (but let's just hope they won't have to come up with an additional soundtrack like it was necessary with "Varieté"....).

L.A.

#3 Post by L.A. » Thu May 02, 2019 3:56 pm

I remember reading somewhere that the German disc includes the 1915 version of Der Golem as an extra. Or is it perhaps getting a separate release?

Tommaso

#4 Post by Tommaso » Thu May 02, 2019 6:22 pm

The 1915 version only exists as a fragment of about 5 minutes. It may or may not be included here, but it basically only has a completist value.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#5 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri May 03, 2019 12:38 pm

This report indicates that a 24-minute reconstruction of the 1915 version played at the Bonner Stummfilmtage in 2017, drawn partly from the second reel of the U.S. version Monster of Fate (discovered in Argentina alongside the famous 16mm print of Metropolis). But the wording leaves me confused as to whether this includes any actual footage beyond the two brief clips already circulating—did those predate the Argentinian discovery?

Tommaso

#6 Post by Tommaso » Fri May 03, 2019 12:56 pm

From what I gather, the 24-minute reconstruction indeed contains footage not yet circulating (namely the whole second reel of the US version), plus the fragments that were already known. Very good news indeed!

Boosmahn

Re: Forthcoming: The Golem

#7 Post by Boosmahn » Fri May 03, 2019 1:06 pm

This has been on my "to watch" list for a few years now. Excellent news!

denti alligator

#8 Post by denti alligator » Sun May 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Always thrilled to have more restored silents on Blu! This is a classic title for a reason. Excited.

FrauBlucher

#9 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun May 05, 2019 5:45 pm

I just looked at the DVDBeaver review of the dvd from 2003. There was one release tinted and another one not. Is the tinted release accurate to original presentation?

Tommaso

#10 Post by Tommaso » Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 am

The original print that was found in Milan for the old restoration was tinted, so, yes. We need to see whether the new resto will have exactly the same tintings, though. But it will certainly be tinted, too.

kidc

#11 Post by kidc » Wed May 22, 2019 5:06 pm

The new restoration states that it's tinted according to the Milan print. The original negative they found is slightly incomplete and the footage that they had to source from elsewhere is pretty ropey (there's probably less than a minute all told, but it's during a couple of climactic moments). The original negative footage, on the other hand, looks fantastic (and probably makes the cut footage look even worse by comparison).