105 / BD 15 Make Way for Tomorrow

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Jeff

105 / BD 15 Make Way for Tomorrow

#1 Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:17 am

Make Way for Tomorrow

Image Image

Of Make Way for Tomorrow, Orson Welles told Peter Bogdanovich: “Oh my God that’s the saddest movie ever made.” Long unavailable for home viewing, Leo McCarey’s personal favourite among all his films (which included The Awful Truth and An Affair to Remember) is sad, yes, but it also stands as cathartic affirmation of the dignity of human feeling, and in the testament of such achieves a subtle complexity of characterization on par with Renoir, Ford, and Hawks.

Victor Moore and Beulah Bondi, two of the great Hollywood character actors, appear makeup-aged beyond their actual years to portray the couple whose house the bank has foreclosed upon (the film was set and produced in the midst of the Great Depression), and who are forced subsequently to move into their children’s homes in the city. A near-musical restructuring of gratitude and debt ensues once the offspring deem the couple’s lodging an imposition: the two are separated, then reunited weeks later… as they glide inexorably into an uncertain future.

Unrelentingly unsentimental, yet maintaining a balance of pathos and levity unseen in not only American studio pictures but most of the rest of world cinema, Make Way for Tomorrow exerted a powerful influence on Yasujirô Ozu’s Tokyo Story and several other key entries in the Japanese master’s body of work. It is a film profoundly concerned with questions of filial obligation and the way we treat one another as human beings; it is a film that, to give Welles the last word, “could make a stone cry.” The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Leo McCarey’s truly great Make Way for Tomorrow for the first time on Blu-ray anywhere in the world.

Special Features

- Gorgeous high-definition transfer of the film in its original 1.37:1 aspect ratio
- 20-minute video piece with filmmaker and writer Peter Bogdanovich (The Last Picture Show; The Cat’s Meow) discussing the film and Leo McCarey’s career
- 21-minute video piece with writer Gary Giddins discussing McCarey’s work and the social and political contexts of the film
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hearing-impaired
- Lengthy booklet featuring a new essay on the film by writer and Library of America editor Geoffrey O’Brien, and an excerpt from Josephine Lawrence’s source novel Years Are So Long

John Edmond

Re: BD 15 Make Way for Tomorrow

#2 Post by John Edmond » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:52 am

I'm just glad I've been lazy with the B&N sale, only ordering today. Otherwise I would have been miffed.

Criterion's telecine was considered that problematic? Or did Criterion source it from elsewhere? Going by the stills I've seen it should be quite rewarding.

If this is Criterion's telecine, and considering BFI have already used Criterion's Ozu telecine transfers, then this indicates Criterion is fairly open minded on European companies using their transfers. Hopefully this as a good sign for other relatively recent SD Criterion releases to be brought out in Europe on blu-ray -- even if Criterion aren't interested in re-releasing such recent additions.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 am

John Edmond wrote:If this is Criterion's telecine, and considering BFI have already used Criterion's Ozu telecine transfers, then this indicates Criterion is fairly open minded on European companies using their transfers.
This is nothing new - Criterion, the BFI and MoC have been collaborating on transfers for years, as it's a handy way of keeping production costs down. And it's not a one-way street, either - quite a few Criterion releases originated from BFI telecines, a high-profile recent example being Red Desert.

John Edmond

#4 Post by John Edmond » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:48 am

I knew of the collaborations, but in previous situations both parties have released the films on the same formats. I'm just happy that Criterion are happy being one-upped by their own telecines, and so quickly in the case of The Only Son.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:01 am

They're region-locked, and multiregion Blu-ray setups are still very rare - these forums aren't remotely representative of the general public. (Even I haven't gone multiregion yet, and I've been Blu-ray compatible for two years).

Put it like this: I'm sure Criterion has worked out that a piddlingly small handful of lost sales is going to have far less impact on their balance sheet than the income from licensing their transfers.

peerpee
not perpee

#6 Post by peerpee » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:16 am

The master came from Universal, it's owned by Universal.

perkizitore

#7 Post by perkizitore » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:48 am

I assume it's the same master Criterion used, isn't it?

peerpee
not perpee

#8 Post by peerpee » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:53 am

We can't be sure, it does look lovely though.

aox

#9 Post by aox » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:57 am

So, 'tomorrow' consists of him getting rid of his wife of 50 years, moving to CA for the sweet life, and frolicking with (read: banging) 20 year old girls? Looks pretty sweet.

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:14 am

I hope that's not a spoiler.

Finch

#11 Post by Finch » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:23 pm

Nick mentioned elsewhere that they were shooting stuff in the US. If this involves Tag Gallagher then this BD will be a first day buy.

Dr Amicus

#12 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:18 pm

It's over 20 years since I saw this - in a 35mm print at Kent Uni (ahhh... I saw so much there in my 3 years as an undergrad, most in 35 or 16mm) as part of the melodrama section of my intro to film course. To be honest, I was really surprised to see how much love there is for the film, which seems to have grown since the time I saw it. I certainly liked the film, but nothing about it (except for the ending) have really stuck with me - it just seemed a generally decent film of its time and far less memorable (and indeed 'melodramatic') than much else on the course.

However, it's certainly nagging away at me - and I suspect my response now as a father and 20 years older will be significantly different. Might well be a pre-order.

Oh, and although the cover has been .... controversial... elsewhere, my old Halliwell (1986 edition!) had a magnificent poster for this which was spectacularly 'wrong', pretending the film is a teen problem drama. If you can find a copy of this Nick, it's prime booklet material.

Gregor Samsa

#13 Post by Gregor Samsa » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:53 pm

aox wrote:So, 'tomorrow' consists of him getting rid of his wife of 50 years, moving to CA for the sweet life, and frolicking with (read: banging) 20 year old girls? Looks pretty sweet.
Its a metaphor. A metaphor for sexliciousness.

CSM126

#14 Post by CSM126 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:51 am

This news makes me positively giddy. Love this film and was really disappointed that Criterion didn't/couldn't do a BR of it (though their DVD is excellent, regardless!). Any word on whether this will be region-locked, or are you still working out those kinks? I hope it can be region free (though I may just splurge on a region-free player if it's not).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#15 Post by tenia » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:44 am

Positive also about this release.
Another proof that it's possible to release such old movie in not neat condition in HD.

Count on me for buying it once it's released.

Oedipax

#16 Post by Oedipax » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Wow, I missed the news about this! I just watched the film for the first time a few nights ago and found it utterly devastating and wonderful - and, unfortunately, more timely than ever with the increasing drumbeat from Republicans in the U.S. calling for Social Security's demise. Tag Gallagher simply must create a video essay for this one.

hangman

#17 Post by hangman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:30 pm

david hare wrote:So it's a no brainer. A question being asked is whether in fact Crit passed on Blu, and subsequently if MoC will be able to do this region free.
I was thinking that perhaps this was an negotiated title, much like the Sternberg set, wherein Universal didn't grant Criterion the rights to Blu (or perhaps it wasn't considered at the time of negotiation). I'd also like to ask will this be region free?

andyli

#18 Post by andyli » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:44 pm

I always laugh at that excuse Criterion made for not releasing JVS titles on blu. Days of Heaven was also from that batch of Paramount licenses, but they didn't bother 'going back' to renew the blu-right of JVS titles.

(Edited to make it clear.)
Last edited by andyli on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#19 Post by knives » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:31 pm

What are you talking about?
Days of Heaven was renegotiated, and even that took an insane amount of effort from them. The only reason they went through even that effort was because how well DoH sold. As much as I love von Sternberg, just because the titles are silent and B&W makes their chance of sell small, not even taking into account the boxset factor.

andyli

#20 Post by andyli » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 pm

knives wrote:What are you talking about?
Days of Heaven was renegotiated, and even that took an insane amount of effort from them. The only reason they went through even that effort was because how well DoH sold. As much as I love von Sternberg, just because the titles are silent and B&W makes their chance of sell small, not even taking into account the boxset factor.
So why not simply admit it's all about making money in that facebook reply?

Jonathan S

#21 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:25 am

david hare wrote:Universal, generally is a wonderful tart of a company in that it will licence to everyone with gay abandon. Uni of course owns Make Way. I think there's a good chance the McCarey will be region free.
Although I was very surprised about the announcement of Make Way as MoC had previously stated on here that Universal refused to licence the DVD rights to them (maybe a condition of their agreement with Criterion that didn't apply to Blu-ray?)

zitherstrings

#22 Post by zitherstrings » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:30 am

andyli wrote:
knives wrote:What are you talking about?
So why not simply admit it's all about making money in that facebook reply?
Because the entire thing is about money. Who needs it stated?

peerpee
not perpee

#23 Post by peerpee » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:52 am

If the entire thing were about money, you wouldn't have 2/3rds of the Criterion Collection. There are many, many loss leaders in print, put out there for the love of it. MoC have their fair share too.

I watched the CC BD of CLOSE-UP the other night, and in addition to loving the film and presentation greatly, I couldn't help thinking what a wonderfully brave thing it was to release this on BD. I hope it sells well enough so that we get more Kiarostami on BD.

(btw. there's a ballsy takedown of CERTIFIED COPY by Philip Kemp in the current S&S. Still need to see this one.)

aox

#24 Post by aox » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:03 pm

peerpee wrote:If the entire thing were about money, you wouldn't have 2/3rds of the Criterion Collection. There are many, many loss leaders in print, put out there for the love of it. MoC have their fair share too.
Your implication is a faulty application of logic. Just because there are titles in the collection that have lost or are losing money, doesn't prove that they were released as some altruistic film venture. There is no reason to believe CC has ever released a title they didn't think would be profitable.

peerpee
not perpee

#25 Post by peerpee » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Jonathan S wrote:Although I was very surprised about the announcement of Make Way as MoC had previously stated on here that Universal refused to licence the DVD rights to them (maybe a condition of their agreement with Criterion that didn't apply to Blu-ray?)
My understanding of the situation, which is still formulating, is this: Universal are a large company, they own many films which were made by many different companies. A film such as MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW is right at the bottom of their list of priorities. For a number of years, it simply wasn't on a list of availabilities and even after special request it wasn't available (perhaps because they didn't have a serviceable master (the French DVD release attests to this) or perhaps a simple communication error between depts).

My hunch is that Criterion's involvement, perhaps instigating and advising on the tech aspects of the creation of Universal's new HD master, led to this title becoming available for licence again outside of the USA. So, in my view, the fact that this film is seeing the light of day in such a fine new master is almost certainly thanks to Criterion --