BD 32 Island of Lost Souls

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

BD 32 Island of Lost Souls

#1 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Island of Lost Souls

Image Image

Originally rejected by the BBFC on its original release for being “against nature”, this first and best screen adaptation of H. G. Wells’ The Island of Dr. Moreau is a taboo-flaunting, blood-curdling spectacular, and one of Hollywood’s wildest, most notorious, pre-Code pictures.

Shipwrecked and adrift, Edward Parker finds himself a guest on Dr. Moreau’s isolated South Seas island, but quickly discovers the horrifying nature of the doctor’s work and the origin of the strange forms inhabiting the isle: a colony of wild animals reworked into humanoid form via sadistic surgical experiments. Furthermore, Parker quickly begins to fear his own part in the doctor’s plans to take the unholy enterprise to a next level.

Featuring a peerlessly erudite and sinister performance by Charles Laughton as the diabolical doctor, a sterling appearance by Bela Lugosi as the half-beast-half-man “Sayer of the Law”, and sensationally atmospheric cinematography by the great Karl Struss (Murnau’s Sunrise, Mamoulian’s Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde), Island of Lost Souls now returns to claim a central position among the most imaginative and nightmarish fantasies from Hollywood’s golden age of horror. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Kenton’s film on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time in the UK, a celebration of the film’s 80th anniversary.

DUAL FORMAT RELEASE INCLUDING BLU-RAY AND DVD VERSIONS OF THE FILM

• Newly restored high-definition digital transfer officially licensed from Universal Pictures
• Newly created SDH subtitles on the feature for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Exclusive video interview with Charles Laughton biographer Simon Callow
• Exclusive video interview with film historian Jonathan Rigby
• Original theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A lavish booklet featuring rare production imagery, and a new essay by Kim Newman
Last edited by swo17 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

eerik

Re: 114 Island of Lost Souls

#2 Post by eerik » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:57 pm

So why no Blu-ray?

Der Spieler

#3 Post by Der Spieler » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 pm

eerik wrote:So why no Blu-ray?
peerpee wrote:Same basic underlying reason as ISLAND OF LOST SOULS. We didn't regard the HD masters as being able to make Blu-rays that were leaps and bounds ahead of the DVD. Our test BD encodes looked like very nice DVDs - it just wasn't worth the extreme cost of putting together a separate Blu-ray edition, especially on this Imamura title, based on how little known it is, and the relatively modest sales of our other better known Imamura Blu-rays (which look waaaaay better in 1080p).

We don't want to put anything on Blu-ray unless it knocks us out technically.

zitherstrings

#4 Post by zitherstrings » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Ohhhh god. Would be pitchforks and torches if Criterion said something like that.

Der Spieler

#5 Post by Der Spieler » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:29 pm

So what's the status of this release?

Ovader

#6 Post by Ovader » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Der Spieler wrote:So what's the status of this release?
According to this Twitter post it now has been put back to May 2012.

Miguel M Santos

#7 Post by Miguel M Santos » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:22 pm

This one seems to have disappeared from the website.

Opdef

#8 Post by Opdef » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:41 pm

I'd hope that that's because they're releasing it in a Blu-ray / Dual-Format package. Fingers crossed!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:51 am

Miguel M Santos wrote:This one seems to have disappeared from the website.
They've confirmed on Twitter that the release has at least not been cancelled.

HerrSchreck

#10 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 pm

For those holding out for the uk version of this movie... it's worth the wait , sit tight!
The new master of this film is absolutely stunning, and contains elements never seen before on any continent, probably not since it's premiere, and perhaps not even since then.

A sublime film!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Wait, so the Criterion is not definitive?

HerrSchreck

#12 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:15 pm

No I meant the exact opposite, I'm basing my comments on the criterion edition of the film, as I'm assuming the m o c edition uses the same resto/master prepared for PAL.

The new restoration is glorious! and I'm assuming identical across both editions.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#13 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Gotcha, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Landjorden

#14 Post by Landjorden » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:20 pm

This just got updated to dual format :D Sweet!!

MichaelB

Re: BD 32 Island of Lost Souls

#15 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Given the ecstatic reaction to the Criterion, I suspected it might be.

TMDaines

#16 Post by TMDaines » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Hmm, interesting spine number, thought this was reserved for another Pasolini.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#17 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Yes, the latest catalogue assigned it to Ro.Go.Pa.G.

peerpee
not perpee

#18 Post by peerpee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Last minute change, to avoid leaving gaping holes, mixing things up a bit, seeing as we haven't even started authoring the RO.GO.PA.G. edition yet, and it's not scheduled until late Summer.

We'll be dropping a few bombs where the year of the film corresponds to the spine number. The two Laughton's already do.

We'll also be adapting the pdf catalogue at the website in January to reflect all this and the very latest announcements, which will cover April, May, June.

peerpee
not perpee

#19 Post by peerpee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:26 pm

RUGGLES and ISLAND are both down for a Charles Laughton double-bill in May.

zedz

#20 Post by zedz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:54 pm

peerpee wrote:We'll be dropping a few bombs where the year of the film corresponds to the spine number. The two Laughton's already do.
You're really catering for the OCD market now!

knives

#21 Post by knives » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:39 am

Off topic, but glad to have you back no matter for how long you eventually decide.

John Edmond

#22 Post by John Edmond » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:44 am

Oh hello there. Aka ditto knives.

I have to say I thought some moments of Island of Lost Souls looked damn fine.

Sad to hear about Rules, my copy just started winging its way here. I wonder if (besides its obvious print problems) part of the problem stem from Criterion deciding not to go back and re-scan (so many of their reissues are based on their ye olde HD scans and not their current minimum of 2K).

Surprised nobody has started guessing which films released between 1936 and 1940 that MOC are planning to release.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#23 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Hmm, maybe I'm looking for different things in my viewing, but I too recently watched the CC BDs of both Rules of the Game and Island of Lost Souls on an Oppo (blown up on a 100" screen) and thought they looked great. In the latter especially, you could tell they upped the bitrate on account of the film being so short. It doesn't surprise me that the MoC team saw how great the film could look and decided to up the ante on their release.

TMDaines

#24 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:17 pm

david hare wrote:It sounds odd for me to say it but I really have arrived - to my own immense surprise - at a point where I would rather watch something like a really well executed WBArchive (including print damage and other scuffles) like Travels with my Aunt , or better still the amazingly gorgeous Yolanda and the Thief which looks like a vault IB master/to digibeta. The Oppo I play back with these days upscales the SD WBAs for instance like cream for a cat, but the Oppo is ruthless in revealing every flaw in the master (and the encode) for a not so good BD. Like the hideous new Kino Nothing Sacred. Or the totally dreadful Fox/Paramount My Fair Lady fuckup ofalltime.
I'm not really sure I get your point here. Naturally an excellent DVD from a high resolution scan is going to be superior to a dreadful Blu-ray from an old master. I'm not really sure how this then leads to a thumbs up for DVD-R archives and a thumbs down for Blu-ray.

Surely the format of a release is a different issue from the source of the video. A shitty master is going to look shitty on a DVD-R, a DVD or Blu-ray. An excellent master is going to look incredible on Blu-ray and still great on DVD (or DVD-R).
Last edited by TMDaines on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

peerpee
not perpee

#25 Post by peerpee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:19 pm

The Universal HD master we evaluated in July has now been replaced by a newer Universal HD master, with a number of improvements. We have Criterion to thank for these improvements, and Eureka to thank for holding on, when we needed to wait.