BD 92 Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Bürgermeister

Re: Forthcoming? The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

#26 Post by Bürgermeister » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:41 am

Top candidate for spine #100? Which in theory should be reached in Q4

Eureka

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#27 Post by Eureka » Tue May 13, 2014 10:26 am

We're going make a big announcement tomorrow, 11am UK time. Keep your peepers on Twitter :D

Let speculation commence.

eerik

#28 Post by eerik » Tue May 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Must be Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari.

neilist

#29 Post by neilist » Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm

eerik wrote:Must be Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari.
As much as I am immensely looking forward to that, I can't help but think it'll be a little disappointing if tomorrow's ‘big announcement’ simply turns out to be that, given that it seems to have been practically confirmed already anyway.

Finch

#30 Post by Finch » Tue May 13, 2014 2:47 pm

I'd have thought that they'd save Caligari for year's end, coupled with a bunch of other big hitters. On the other hand, the German BD is out in June (I *think*) so it'd be understandable if MoC wanted to be first out of the gate with the first English-friendly (as in containing English-language booklets and covers) release globally.

PS.: Spine 78 is blank still and if it is another Paramount release, it might be Days of Heaven.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#31 Post by swo17 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:58 pm

They could theoretically announce Caligari now and still not release it until later in the year. They did something similar for Joan of Arc.

eerik

#32 Post by eerik » Wed May 14, 2014 6:01 am

One of the most iconic masterpieces in cinema history, THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI shook filmgoers worldwide and changed the direction of the art form. Now presented in a definitive restoration for its 95th anniversary, the film’s chilling, radically expressionist vision is set to grip audiences again. Eureka Entertainment will be releasing the film in cinemas around the UK & Eire and on DVD & Blu-ray, late summer 2014. More details to follow, next month.

FrauBlucher

#33 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed May 14, 2014 6:15 am

This is pretty exciting, even though we knew it was coming.

I wonder how much time between announcements.

TMDaines

#34 Post by TMDaines » Wed May 14, 2014 6:15 am

Here's hoping it's stacked and finally the definitive version we need after all these years.

FrauBlucher

#35 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed May 14, 2014 6:47 am

MoC tweeted that Zorn's score will not be included, as Zorn wants it to be a special one-off for last February's Berlin Festival.

Minkin

#36 Post by Minkin » Wed May 14, 2014 8:11 am

FrauBlucher wrote:MoC tweeted that Zorn's score will not be included, as Zorn wants it to be a special one-off for last February's Berlin Festival.
Good. More chances for it to be Timothy Brock then.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

Re: Forthcoming: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

#37 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed May 14, 2014 1:16 pm

How's it fantastic to not get the John Zorn soundtrack? I was really looking forward to it and missed it while it was briefly up on YouTube.

Minkin

#38 Post by Minkin » Wed May 14, 2014 6:06 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:How's it fantastic to not get the John Zorn soundtrack? I was really looking forward to it and missed it while it was briefly up on YouTube.
What? You don't consider the Brock score to be the definitive score? I'm not alone on this. But hell, I'd opt for a Gaylord Carter organ score over everything else.

So this release better have 10+ music options.
Last edited by Minkin on Wed May 14, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zobalob

#39 Post by Zobalob » Wed May 14, 2014 6:07 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:How's it fantastic to not get the John Zorn soundtrack? I was really looking forward to it and missed it while it was briefly up on YouTube.
It was, at times, very reminiscent of Nico's harmonium playing on "The Marble Index" and "Desert Shore" and yes, it's a shame that it won't be included as an alternative track when the disc is released. Not sure that I'd want to have it as the only soundtrack though, I found it to be a bit overpowering and intrusive.

Gregory

#40 Post by Gregory » Wed May 14, 2014 6:41 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:MoC tweeted that Zorn's score will not be included, as Zorn wants it to be a special one-off for last February's Berlin Festival.
I'm really surprised he wouldn't want people like me who couldn't go to Berlin to be able to hear his score, especially because he's so exhaustive when it comes to recording and releasing his own music and keeping it in print perpetually. I only watched a couple of minutes of it on YouTube because it looked/sounded bad technically on my computer and I assumed it would probably be released as an option on a future Blu-ray.

zedz

#41 Post by zedz » Wed May 14, 2014 10:53 pm

Zobalob wrote:
It was, at times, very reminiscent of Nico's harmonium playing on "The Marble Index" and "Desert Shore" and yes, it's a shame that it won't be included as an alternative track when the disc is released. Not sure that I'd want to have it as the only soundtrack though, I found it to be a bit overpowering and intrusive.
Now you've made me want to try watching this with those two Nico albums as accompaniment. Cesar stalking the streets to the accompaniment of 'Evening of Light' sounds just about perfect to me, and wherever 'Janitor of Lunacy' falls should work just fine.

eerik

#42 Post by eerik » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:26 am

We can announce that the UK theatrical release of the definitive 2014 restoration of DAS CABINET DES DR. CALIGARI will be on 29 Aug 2014

Trailer

A Dual Format edition of DAS CABINET DES DR. CALIGARI will be released on 29 Sept, and this will be the packshot
The Dual Format edition will feature an audio commentary by film historian David Kalat and a new video essay by film critic David Cairns

FrauBlucher

#43 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:30 am

Terrific cover!

Finch

#44 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:37 am

Agreed, a fabulous cover. Bring on Sept 29!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#45 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:42 am

Yes, and great that they've pulled Kalat from "retirement" yet again. Though by what measure is this "the first true horror film"? (Does "true" mean "released by Eureka"?) Ahem...

EddieLarkin

#46 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:43 am

And there was me thinking we were going to go through 2014 without a new Kalat commentary. Fantastic!

manicsounds

#47 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:57 am

So does this mean the old commentary which was on the Eureka DVD will not be included, or will it like the Nosferatu disc? I assume it will be since there's no extra cost in classification.

Orlac

#48 Post by Orlac » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:57 pm

swo17 wrote:Yes, and great that they've pulled Kalat from "retirement" yet again. Though by what measure is this "the first true horror film"? (Does "true" mean "released by Eureka"?) Ahem...
I would include the 1915 Golem (which only survives in fragments) and maybe The Student of Prague? Plus there were some short versions of Frankenstein and Jekyll & Hyde.

Kalat? YAYYYY!!!!!!

Orlac

#49 Post by Orlac » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:07 pm

manicsounds wrote:So does this mean the old commentary which was on the Eureka DVD will not be included, or will it like the Nosferatu disc? I assume it will be since there's no extra cost in classification.

In that particular case, maybe it's a case of syncing up, and also I think the score could be heard under the commentary, so it depends if MOC uses the Timothy Brock score as an option?

Koukol

#50 Post by Koukol » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:12 pm

EUREKA! once again shows how to represent the film with their original Art.

Bravo!