BD 200 The Last Waltz

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Finch

BD 200 The Last Waltz

#1 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:01 am

Perhaps the greatest rock documentary ever made, Martin Scorsese’s THE LAST WALTZ captures what was advertised as legendary rock group The Band’s final farewell concert appearance. Joined on stage by more than a dozen special guests, including Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Muddy Waters and Joni Mitchell, The Last Waltz started as a concert, but it became a celebration.

Interspersed with candid discussions between director Scorsese and members of The Band, THE LAST WALTZ has been called “the greatest rock concert movie ever made - and maybe the best rock movie, period”, and The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present this iconic documentary on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK. And remember, “This film should be played loud!”

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES including:
Limited Edition Hardbound Case | 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray | PCM 5.1 Audio | Optional English SDH subtitles | Audio Commentary by director Martin Scorsese and Musician Robbie Robertson | Audio Commentary by “The Band” members Levon Helm and Garth Hudson, journalists Jay Cocks and Greil Marcus, creative consultant Mardik Martin, producers Jonathan Taplin and Steven Prince, Cameraman Michael Chapman, Music Producer John Simon, Irwin Winkler and performers Mavis Staples, Dr. John and Ronnie Hawkins (includes optional subtitles identifying who is talking) | Revisiting The Last Waltz [22 mins] | Archival Outtakes | Stills gallery | PLUS: A 100-PAGE perfect bound collector’s book including writing on the film by Adam Batty, Greil Marcus and Robbie Robertson; an abundance of extremely rare archival imagery; extensive notes, storyboards and sketches from the film’s production [Limited Edition Exclusive]

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: BD 200 The Last Waltz

#2 Post by Drucker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:13 am

Well I'll finally get around to watching this I suppose.

FrauBlucher

#3 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:19 am

Surprising that you haven’t seen The Last Waltz. It’s as great as Shine a Light was bad. Can’t wait to see this again.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4 Post by Drucker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:22 am

I've never been interested in most post-1972 classic rock, but have been coming around to some of it lately. Maybe because I'm over 30 now.

hearthesilence

#5 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:57 am

It's a very good film, but it does have its problems.

And it's funny Drucker should say "post-1972" classic rock because one of the sad things about this film is that most of the artists had done their best work well before this concert took place. Only Dylan, Neil Young and to a lesser extent Van Morrison put out anything that can rival their best work after 1976.

dda1996a

#6 Post by dda1996a » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:19 am
Surprising that you haven’t seen The Last Waltz. It’s as great as Shine a Light was bad. Can’t wait to see this again.
I actually saw the Stones live and then saw the movie a day later and was nothing but disappointed, but didn't know if seeing them live had anything to do with it or not. Anyway this is a great documentary with terrific music, but the extras aren't much for me to pick this up (even though the cover and book are enticing)

DeprongMori

#7 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Will they be including a special feature on the new rotoscoping technology developed for the film, known as ”the traveling booger matte”, to remove the highly visible rock of cocaine dangling from Neil Young’s nostril?

Gregor Samsa

#8 Post by Gregor Samsa » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:08 pm

No tears of rage over this one.

hearthesilence

#9 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:47 pm

Funny story about that - when the re-release had its invitation-only premiere in 2002, they forgot to remove the cocaine and didn't realize it until they saw it on-screen. After the screening ended, Robertson told everyone "I haven't seen that in 25 years!" Anyway, they reportedly went back and fixed it so it won't be/was never on any of the DVD or Blu-Ray releases.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:55 pm

So long as they never edit this

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:01 am

This limited edition is apparently OOP, and a standard edition has been announced