34 / BD 6 La Planète sauvage

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Macintosh

#26 Post by Macintosh » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:04 pm

I watched Time Masters before buying this to see the director's style, but i absolutly hated that film. How similiar is Fantastic Planet to it?

Lino

#27 Post by Lino » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:18 am

Completely different! As in, they seem like they were made by two different animators. I love Fantastic Planet but I've never warmed up to Time Masters.

Steven H

#28 Post by Steven H » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:26 am

Time Masters is in a similar animation style, but Fantastic Planet is a much better film. It's somewhat like the few great moments of Time Masters (such as watching the floating masses) with more Topor than Moebius, and taking away all the silly "alien animals" or songs. The humans are more bearable in Fantastic Planet as well, maybe because they're primitive, while Time Masters attempts to present some kind of sophisticated mannequin types as lead characters. The story is also, plainly and simply, more interesting in Fantastic Planet.

Then again, if you hated Time Masters for it's style, it's done largely the same way. You can watch some clips on youtube here and here, though they may "give away" some plot points (definitely not the main attraction of the film, however.)

Lino

#29 Post by Lino » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:43 am

Steven H wrote:Time Masters is in a similar animation style... Then again, if you hated Time Masters for it's style, it's done largely the same way. You can watch some clips on youtube here and here
Sorry to disagree with you here, Steven but Time Masters is totally different from Fantastic Planet. Those clips you provided only come to show just that. For proof, go here for the trailer for TM. Clearly, the Moebius influence is there for everyone to see (he contributed to the film) and his style could not be more different than the one used for FP which borrowed from Roland Topor's bottomless well of imagination.

TM also used the traditional form of cell animation whilst FP's style is achieved by animating paper cut out images which creates that geometric sense of movement instead of the more fluid one that results from the former.

What A Disgrace

#30 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:56 am

I love this film...but I have to ask...what does everyone think of Laloux's last feature; and the only one not available on DVD - Gandahar? It was one of the films that I grew up watching atleast once a week (under the US title Light Years); along with Dark Crystal and Bakshi's Wizards. But its been ages since I've seen the film.

Lino

#31 Post by Lino » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:08 am

What A Disgrace wrote:I love this film...but I have to ask...what does everyone think of Laloux's last feature; and the only one not available on DVD - Gandahar?
Wrong. It's available in Japan since 2001 and it's going to be released in France in November. Haven't seen it yet, though -- only clips here and there but it looks far more exciting than Time Masters ever was or will be.

Steven H

#32 Post by Steven H » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:56 am

Lino wrote:TM also used the traditional form of cell animation whilst FP's style is achieved by animating paper cut out images which creates that geometric sense of movement instead of the more fluid one that results from the former.
I wasn't really talking about the actual medium used in animating the film, more the general ideas of how to show another world. Lots of bizarre shapes and textures, that are alike in both films. In my opinion, relative to how different it *could* be, it's very similar, but that's why I posted clips, so they could decide for themselves. Again, as far as enjoyability is concerned, it's on another world (couldn't help myself.)

Mine's on order, and should be delivered shortly, but has anyone seen the booklet for this?

Macintosh

#33 Post by Macintosh » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:59 am

Steven H wrote:You can watch some clips on youtube here and here, though they may "give away" some plot points (definitely not the main attraction of the film, however.)
Thanks for the clips. Those seem much better (and much more trippy) than Time Masters. I should mention that the thing that bothered me most about Time Masters was the music and character's voices.

Steven H

#34 Post by Steven H » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:53 pm

Macintosh wrote:Thanks for the clips. Those seem much better (and much more trippy) than Time Masters. I should mention that the thing that bothered me most about Time Masters was the music and character's voices.
Glad to help. I think you'll be happy with the film, if those were your issues with Time Masters. The short films included are also unforgettable, specifically Les Escargots.

zedz

#35 Post by zedz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:49 pm

A curious glitch on this disc (on my copy at least): when you stop playback the holding screen isn't some Topor beastie with a "come back soon" speech balloon, but a big hand and the words "Junebug Disc 1".

Trust good old MoC to come up with an authoring fault that in no way impinges on the viewing experience! At least Criterion goes to the trouble of transposing dialogue or cutting out entire scenes when they stuff it up!

As for the real stuff: another fine MoC presentation, but I was rather underwhelmed by the film, preferring the shorts.

peerpee
not perpee

#36 Post by peerpee » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:51 pm

Yeah - really sorry about that. It had a lovely FANTASTIC PLANET jacket picture, but the authoring house accidentally replaced it at the last minute with the Jacket Picture from another disc we were working on.

colinr0380

#37 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 05, 2007 11:11 am

Awesome Welles

#38 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed May 16, 2007 10:37 am

Oh dear, it's not being remade is it? Apparently live action, is nothing sacred?

Can anyone access this page?

Dr Amicus

#39 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:21 am

If anyone else out there lives in Guernsey, there is a screening of Fantastic Planet (and other animated films) this weekend.

Details Here

Thanks to Nick for pointing us in the correct rights direction (although they directed me to another company).

I'll post next week letting you know how it went down. Other people in our Film Society who have watched it after my recommendation seem to like it...

colinr0380

#40 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Mark Kermode reminiscing about the film.

akaten

#41 Post by akaten » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:45 pm

The film, and more to the point its soundtrack has its hold over quite a number of people in music today, especially over Otis Jackson Jr (Madlib) son of singer Otis Jackson and an accomplished LA based hip hop producer and jazz musician in his own right.
"Willow cuts to the chase, eagerly digging in his bag and pulling out a copy of the sound track to the 1973 cult classic children’s film, The Fantastic Planet. Originally released in France under the title Le Planete Sauvage, the soundtrack is well known as a sample source for much of the first Quasimoto album, The Unseen. As Madlib licks a seal on his blunt, a glimmer of recognition flickers through his eyes when his gaze wanders over the blue-green cartoon aliens depicted on the cover. “I was watching that movie at the time. It was on Bravo or Independent Film Channel or some shit. I just flipped that shit on one night. Right when I turned to it the music was on and I was like, “What the fuck?” I just turned my VCR on and started recording that shit. ‘Come on Feet’ is from the visuals. I got a few tracks from that and [Peanut Butter] Wolf bought me the original album a little while later.”

Watching The Fantastic Planet, it’s easy to see how it could inspire you to work with an alien being who goes around smacking suckas with bricks. The Planet Fantastic is controlled by a race called the Traags, their society much like our human one, with a crucial difference: the Traags are giants on their planet and the human beings there are rodent-sized by comparison. In this world, humans are mere playthings in a psychadelic landscape, the victims of the same absent-minded tyranny that we reign over pets and wild animals.

“If I had seen that when I was small I would have been kind of frightened. And the music is ridiculous. That’s how I’d make a music if I was making a soundtrack.” The making of a lost classic?

Indeed. “I did a whole CD trying to recreate the soundtrack hip-hop style. But my man lost it. Like my master. I passed that out, and I don’t save my shit, my homeboy lost it. I was like damn man, that took me two days.” And so the beats were recreated for Lord Quas."
No budget Come on Feet video

ehimle

Re: 34 Fantastic Planet

#42 Post by ehimle » Tue May 26, 2009 11:08 am

for anyone that cares i found the the soundtrack on this nice little blog. (i know its on the dvd but i don't think you could download it from there.

by the way, peerpee, how about a release of nilsson's animated classic the point? :D

johnsusq

#43 Post by johnsusq » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Looking forward to the blu-ray! When is it due?

peerpee
not perpee

#44 Post by peerpee » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Probably about March 2010.

adamhopelies

#45 Post by adamhopelies » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Any update on the Blu-ray?

peerpee
not perpee

#46 Post by peerpee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:43 pm

May 2010 at the earliest. Will firm up in the next 3 weeks.

adamhopelies

#47 Post by adamhopelies » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Cool stuff.

HistoryProf

#48 Post by HistoryProf » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:55 am

will the blu ray be Region 0 as well?

jamie_atp

#49 Post by jamie_atp » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:19 pm

Release date: http://www.thehut.com/blu-ray/fantastic ... 87048.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamie_atp

#50 Post by jamie_atp » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:47 am

Confirmed as BD 6 on the moc twitter