39 / BD 97 Diary of a Lost Girl

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Michael

#51 Post by Michael » Wed May 30, 2007 8:33 am

Schreck, interesting that you placed Pandora's Box above Lost Girl. Maybe it's time for you to revaluate Girl. I netflixed the Kino version just to see if there's any difference from the MOC version. I wasn't able to play both discs side by side but I have to say that I'm glad I saw the MOC version first. The Kino version is a disaster. MOC's transfer is sublime. I can see why you hate the Turrin score. My impression was the same but MOC's new score feels different and just right; it doesn't interfere with the lush images. I'm not totally positive but the Kino version seems to be chopped up by more multiple intertitles, breaking the flow of emotions, the "gaze", etc at the wrong time while MOC seems to have less of that. I could be wrong.

However unlike Kino, MOC's intertitles are all in German which is a monstrous plus.

TheGodfather

#52 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:10 am

#53 Post by 125100 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:25 pm

I just got this, bit disappointed with the film to be honest, it is good but I was expecting something different, the DVD however was first rate and has really restored my faith in MoC. High hopes for Nosferatu and Der Letzte Mann now ;)

colinr0380

#54 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:47 pm

nsps

Re:

#55 Post by nsps » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:48 am

I was just reading through this thread to determine whether to get the Kino or the MoC, and while it sounds like MoC is the winner regardless, I have a quick followup on this topic:
HerrSchreck wrote:SO does anybody know if there is any new material in this versus the previous R1? Are these both from the same FWMS master tape? I recall someone (it may have been hare) saying that there was material missing from the Murnau FOundation resto seen on the Kino from 2001. Or is this from that same resto?
At the beginning of this thread, there's talk of an ending that goes on longer than the Kino DVD, apparently in the Gaumont restoration and a print that screened presumably at the George Eastman House. I gather that the MoC and Kino are both missing this longer ending?

I could be misinterpreting the whole conversation—people could be saying that the Kino has the full ending.

Imagine

Re: 39 Diary of a Lost Girl

#56 Post by Imagine » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Any chance of a blu-ray release?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#57 Post by Drucker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:05 pm

I believe it's out of print. Probably not.

eerik

#58 Post by eerik » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:33 am

Frau im Mond and Faust went out of print shortly before Dual Format upgrades were announced. So yes, I think there is a good chance of this being upgraded as well.

neilist

#59 Post by neilist » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 pm

Drucker wrote:I believe it's out of print. Probably not.
eerik wrote:Frau im Mond and Faust went out of print shortly before Dual Format upgrades were announced. So yes, I think there is a good chance of this being upgraded as well.
There's a distinction to be made between titles being out of print and just out of stock. Eureka have been quite active recently in announcing when titles have actually gone out of print and although 'Faust' and 'Frau Im Mond' DVDs are/were out of stock everywhere, I never saw them announce that they were actually out of print, which made sense when they were later announced as getting a release on blu-ray. I've not seen an announcement for 'Diary Of A Lost Girl' either, which could suggest a similar situation and that there might be a chance, but that's just my speculation.

neilist

#60 Post by neilist » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Listed on moviemail as coming on Dual-Format 3 November.

http://www.moviemail.com/film/dvd+blu-r ... of-Cinema/

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#61 Post by Drucker » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Well don't I feel stupid. Awesome news, though!

FrauBlucher

#63 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Anyone watch the blu yet? How does it look?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: 39 / BD 97 Diary of a Lost Girl

#65 Post by Drucker » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:27 pm

Just watched this for the second time and it's definitely magnificent. Perhaps it's a bit melodramatic at points, with suicides and children's deaths, but there's an emotional strength and tragedy I find very strong. Something I didn't notice the first time I saw it was the almost-proto Nazi type stylings of the girl's boarding house. From their hairstyle to the way they are treated, it eerily foretells my perceptions, at least, of Nazi-era schooling and style. As wonderful a film as Pandora's Box is, I find this one more enjoyable.

The blu-ray is definitely, definitely a noticeable upgrade. The restoration credits make clear at the beginning that multiple sources are used, and it's very clear where lesser ones appear. I found the image for the most part quite beautiful, and definitely better than many of the caps on DVD Beaver would suggest.

FrauBlucher

Re: 39 / BD 97 Diary of a Lost Girl

#66 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm glad to hear that. I have the Blu but haven't watched yet.