56-57 / BD 71 Uwasa no onna & Chikamatsu monogatari

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
kinjitsu

56-57 / BD 71 Uwasa no onna & Chikamatsu monogatari

#1 Post by kinjitsu » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:13 pm

Image Image

Uwasa no onna

Released the same year as Chikamatsu Monogatari, Uwasa no Onna [The Woman in the Rumour] offers a contrasting portrait of attitudes and mores concerning love and relationships. Set in a modern Kyoto geisha house, the eponymous woman in the rumour is Hatsuko (Kinuyo Tanaka, star of countless Mizoguchi films, in her last role for the director with whom she was often romantically linked), madame of her own geisha house. When Hatsuko ends up pursuing the same man as her daughter, Yukiko (Yoshiko Kuga), both women are forced to confront their attitudes towards each other and the family business.

Chikamatsu monogatari

Based on a centuries old tale with roots in real events, Chikamatsu Monogatari [A Tale From Chikamatsu, aka The Crucified Lovers] tells the hauntingly tragic story of a forbidden love affair between a merchant’s wife, Osan (Kyoko Kagawa), and her husband’s employee, Mohei (Kazuo Hasegawa), in an era when the punishment for adultery was crucifixion.

When a series of innocent events lead to the false accusation of an affair between Osan and Mohei, the accused pair are forced to flee an almost certain death sentence. On the run, the outlaw couple grow closer together, drawn inexorably towards the romantic crime of which they are accused.

In the hands of Mizoguchi, Chikamatsu Monogatari depicts two people caught up in a constricted world where true love and social obligation are at odds. His portrayal of the lovers’ dilemma lead famed director Akira Kurosawa to describe the film as “a great masterpiece that could only have been made by Mizoguchi.”

The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Mizoguchi’s films for the first time on home video in the UK.

Special Features:

• 2 x disc special edition containing new film restorations of both Chikamatsu Monogatari and Uwasa no Onna.
• New and improved English subtitles.
• Video discussions about both Chikamatsu Monogatari and Uwasa no Onna by acclaimed Japanese film expert/critic, festival programmer, and filmmaker Tony Rayns.
• Original theatrical trailers.
• 56-page booklet featuring writing by Keiko I. McDonald (author of Mizoguchi) and Mark Le Fanu (author of Mizoguchi and Japan), as well as extracts from Chikamatsu Monzaemon’s The Almanac of Love and Ihara Saikaku’s What the Seasons Brought to the Almanac-Maker, texts adapted by Mizoguchi in Chikamatsu Monogatari.
Last edited by kinjitsu on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

What A Disgrace

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:19 pm

2/25/08 according to Amazon. Same retail as Sansho/Gion.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:53 pm

David Bordwell has some interesting comments (with screen shots) on Uwasa no onna -- noting some links between this and Wlyer's Little Foxes. See:

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/?p=1549

I am really looking forward to finally seeing this with English subtitles.... (So far I've only seen this either unsubbed or with French subtitles).

What A Disgrace

#4 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:34 am

Supplements according to Amazon.

2 x disc special edition containing new film restorations of both films, New and improved English subtitles, Video discussions about both Chikamatsu Monogatari and Uwasa no Onna by acclaimed Japanese film expert/critic, festival programmer, and filmmaker Tony Rayns, Original theatrical trailers, 56-page booklet featuring writing by Keiko I. McDonald (author of Mizoguchi) and Mark Le Fanu (author of Mizoguchi and Japan), as well as extracts from Chikamatsu Monzaemon's 'The Almanac of Love' and Ihara Saikaku's 'What the Seasons Brought to the Almanac-Maker', texts adapted by Mizoguchi in Chikamatsu Monogatari.

codam

#5 Post by codam » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:13 am

Cover.

We've now got 'Two Films by Kenji Mizoguchi' rather than just 'Two films by Mizoguchi' in the first set

ogtec

#6 Post by ogtec » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:20 am

The first set has the full name as well, despite what the art of various web-sites show. I think...

Tomas

#7 Post by Tomas » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:59 am

ogtec wrote:The first set has the full name as well, despite what the art of various web-sites show. I think...

That's correct. I received the Sansho/Gion DVDs yesterday.

If someone from MoC is reading this, please do something about the DVD packaging. I have many of MoC DVDs in my collection, but alas several DVD cases are broken. I don't think the material is strong enough. CC and BFI have stronger DVD cases.

MoC keep up the good work, Sansho/Gion package is just wonderful. I can't wait for the next release.

der_Artur

#8 Post by der_Artur » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:16 pm

Tomas wrote:If someone from MoC is reading this, please do something about the DVD packaging. I have many of MoC DVDs in my collection, but alas several DVD cases are broken.

Unfortunately I made the same experience. Additionally these 22mm Scanavo Cases MoC uses are rarely sold and if, then for astonishingly high sums. Maybe MoC can sell them via their homepage?

What A Disgrace

#9 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:41 pm

I PMed Nick when I received my broken packages, and he rather promptly said that he would get Eureka to ship replacement packages out. I haven't received them yet, but...since this seems to be a widespread problem, I assumed I should let this out in the open.

TheGodfather

#10 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:36 pm

Tomas wrote:If someone from MoC is reading this, please do something about the DVD packaging. I have many of MoC DVDs in my collection, but alas several DVD cases are broken. I don't think the material is strong enough. CC and BFI have stronger DVD cases.
Got the same problem with Sansho/Gion package. One of the clips that holds the book is broken. Also the books (on this one as well as on the Nosferatu and Tabu releases) seem to get damaged really easily. Corners and bottom are dented and/or torn. Really a shame. Hope they do something about this!

Awesome Welles

#11 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:45 pm

One of the clips on my Sansho/Gion is also broken I assumed it was just HMV's poor packaging but it seems this is quite a widespread problem.

TheGodfather

#12 Post by TheGodfather » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:35 pm

FSimeoni wrote:One of the clips on my Sansho/Gion is also broken I assumed it was just HMV's poor packaging but it seems this is quite a widespread problem.
That`s what I thought as well. But I sent Nick a PM a while ago and received my replacement cases last week =D>

On-topic: Pre-order is up @ HMV

der_Artur

#13 Post by der_Artur » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:03 pm

golgothicon wrote:
Tomas wrote:If someone from MoC is reading this, please do something about the DVD packaging. I have many of MoC DVDs in my collection, but alas several DVD cases are broken.

Unfortunately I made the same experience. Additionally these 22mm Scanavo Cases MoC uses are rarely sold and if, then for astonishingly high sums. Maybe MoC can sell them via their homepage?

I compared the 22mm Scanavo Cases to the 22mm No-Name Cases that PALM uses for their Directors Label and have to say that the later seem much more sturdy. I received none of them broken. Maybe the MoC manufacturer can use these instead of the Scanavos?

peerpee
not perpee

#14 Post by peerpee » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:01 pm

We're not using the thicker Scanavo cases anymore.

Some grabs from the finished encode of MoC's CHIKAMATSU MONOGATARI (out Feb 25th 2008 with UWASA NO ONNA):

rollotomassi

#15 Post by rollotomassi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Can't wait for this. I have the French release which is equally high picture quality and has English subs, but it's the booklet, packaging and of course the other Mizoguchi film that sells it me.

colinr0380

#16 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Jack Phillips

#17 Post by Jack Phillips » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:01 pm

They did it again! 40 pages of the booklet is dedicated to Chikamatsu Monogatari, and Uwasa no Onna gets a scant 10. What's with this child/step-child approach?

Sanjuro

#18 Post by Sanjuro » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Jack Phillips wrote:They did it again! 40 pages of the booklet is dedicated to Chikamatsu Monogatari, and Uwasa no Onna gets a scant 10. What's with this child/step-child approach?
The package may focus on Chikamatsu but judging from the reviews it seems the video interview trashes Chikamatsu rather than Uwasa, so um...the balance is better this time round? :|

peerpee
not perpee

#19 Post by peerpee » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:58 pm

We have not purposely allotted more space in the booklets for some films over others, this is just how it has worked out. More writing exists for CHIKAMATSU MONOGATARI, while very little has ever been written on UWASA NO ONNA (a very rare film) -- and there's a page limit restriction on the booklet, courtesy of the packaging we're using at the moment.

If we had limitless resources and time we would be commissioning new writing and publishing 200-page books with each release, but that's just not realistic. We get a lot done with what we have, and we have to draw the line somewhere. It's difficult.

I cannot emphasise how close we were to simply releasing four Mizoguchi films as single releases --- SANSHO DAYU / UGETSU MONOGATARI / CHIKAMATSU MONOGATARI / AKASEN CHITAI.

The fact that in addition we're releasing GION BAYASHI / UWASA NO ONNA / OYU-SAMA / YOKIHI, also with carefully redone English subtitles, has taken a major push from our end: resources, time, and expense. From our perspective, it's a minor miracle.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#20 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:39 pm

People wanting some background for Uwasa no onna -- take a look at George Bernard Shaw's Mrs Warren's Profession. The story here is not the same, but there are more than a few similarities. Apparently Yoda was quite familiar (and fond of) the work of Shaw.

Jack Phillips

#21 Post by Jack Phillips » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:45 am

peerpee wrote:We have not purposely allotted more space in the booklets for some films over others, this is just how it has worked out. More writing exists for CHIKAMATSU MONOGATARI, while very little has ever been written on UWASA NO ONNA (a very rare film) -- and there's a page limit restriction on the booklet, courtesy of the packaging we're using at the moment.

If we had limitless resources and time we would be commissioning new writing and publishing 200-page books with each release, but that's just not realistic. We get a lot done with what we have, and we have to draw the line somewhere. It's difficult.
I understand, I sympathize, etc. And I will continue to buy your Mizoguchi releases even if you issue them without any booklets whatsoever. But you are teaching a generation of new enthusiasts that Chikamatsu Monogatari is "more important" than Uwasa no Onna, and I'm sure that's not your intention.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#22 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:10 am

I like "Uwasa no onna" a lot -- but think it is (virtually) unquestionable that "Chikamatsu monogatari" is more important.

I suspect that no English "expert" knows all that much about "Uwasa no onna".

Sanjuro

#23 Post by Sanjuro » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:27 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:I like "Uwasa no onna" a lot -- but think it is (virtually) unquestionable that "Chikamatsu monogatari" is more important.

I suspect that no English "expert" knows all that much about "Uwasa no onna".
Hence the need to be corrected perhaps? Is there any in depth writing at all on Uwasa no Onna, English or Japanese (apart from what's included here)? And how do we define importance exactly? Japanese costume dramas have always been more readily available for 'experts' to get hold of and write lots about, it doesn't necessarily mean they're more important, does it? Unless commercial viability=importance. Even if the films were equally great (personally I like Uwasa no Onna more), one could argue that previous lack of English exposure makes Uwasa no Onna a far more important release.

I completely understand that there's not much English information to include in the booklet and a 'period' cover will sell better than a modern one. And if the choice was do it this way or not release it at all then of course this way is best. I can always look at my Japanese box set and remind myself of how "important" each one of these movies is if I really feel the need to.

Jack Phillips

#24 Post by Jack Phillips » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:30 am

Sanjuro wrote:I completely understand that there's not much English information to include in the booklet and a 'period' cover will sell better than a modern one. And if the choice was do it this way or not release it at all then of course this way is best. I can always look at my Japanese box set and remind myself of how "important" each one of these movies is if I really feel the need to.
I'm happy for you. Where does that leave the rest of us?

Sanjuro

#25 Post by Sanjuro » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:34 am

Jack Phillips wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:I completely understand that there's not much English information to include in the booklet and a 'period' cover will sell better than a modern one. And if the choice was do it this way or not release it at all then of course this way is best. I can always look at my Japanese box set and remind myself of how "important" each one of these movies is if I really feel the need to.
I'm happy for you. Where does that leave the rest of us?
$300 dollars better off and with English subtitles??