It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:46 am 

Strangely they're not releasing Wolf Creek: The Complete First Series on a Monday - which is generally the standard here in the UK for visual media, unless it's music-related - and are instead releasing it 2 days after the finale finishes on Fox UK. Reviews from Australia are apparently mixed, but I'd like to check it out at some point (might not call myself a 'fan' of the original film but John Jarrett is certainly a worthy talent). Interesting they're starting to do TV series' on Blu-ray, and not just DVD.

Stigmata, on the other hand, looks terrible. It's on Netflix UK at the moment so I might check it out when I'm up for watching something terrible with good actors in it. For a laugh.

Jinnah looks interesting, and I wonder if it'll be MoC or Eureka Classics. I reckon the latter, but you never know. Christopher Lee certainly thought it was his best work, but obviously it has been hard to get to see it until now.

They also announced the recent acquisition of a Spanish film called The Olive Tree, which I assume will be a regular Eureka title too (like the upcoming Aloys), but that won't be out 'til early 2017 apparently.

PS: it's a shame we haven't had any real 'Eureka Classics' titles for a while now. Perhaps they didn't sell as well as they'd hoped, or they just got tied up in contractual stuff with studios and had a significantly worse list to pick from (hence Stigmata).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:21 pm 

Stigmata is indeed awful. Not "End of Days" awful but not far away.
I've seen the trailer for The Olive Tree and though reviews seem very good, the trailer makes the movie looking like it has one of the silliest premises. It certainly didn't make me want to go and see it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:49 pm 

tenia wrote:
Stigmata is indeed awful. Not "End of Days" awful but not far away.
I've seen the trailer for The Olive Tree and though reviews seem very good, the trailer makes the movie looking like it has one of the silliest premises. It certainly didn't make me want to go and see it.

Well maybe next time I'm tipsy and skimming through Netflix I'll give it a go (probably with some mates). Obviously no need to ever get it if I don't even enjoy it in a novelty way!

I just took a look at the trailer for The Olive Tree, and assuming it's the same one you're talking about (this?) it certainly isn't a very well-made trailer. Or at least, it has that over-emphatic stock trailer music playing over most of it so you can't really get a good feel for it. It looks like a sales trailer though, as it says 'now in post production' at the end of it.

It looks similar in tone to last year's The Rocket in some respects and might be a surprising little drama. I just noticed it has been written by Paul Laverty, who has written almost every Ken Loach film for the last two decades. Even more interesting is that the director (Iciar Bollain) also did the film Even the Rain (starring Gael Garcia Bernal and Luis Tosar) which I actually have a copy of somewhere but never got round to watching. I remember hearing good things about it though, hence why I picked up a copy.

That said, it doesn't look as compelling as Aloys, Creepy or even Sweet Bean. But I guess it's just down to tastes. It's nice to see Eureka are still interested in tapping into international cinema that might otherwise fall by the wayside (or in all honesty, get picked up by Metrodome for a barebones DVD that'll be £3 in a few months).

PS: just looked up Iciar Bollain and now I understand why I was getting deja vu watching the trailer for this film after watching the new BFI trailer for Victor Erice's El Sur - Bollain actually starred in that film as the little girl! Looks like Erice and that film in particular might have had quite the effect on her own filmmaking...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:20 am 

Manina, The Lighthouse-Keeper's Daughter @ Beaver

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12