MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
What A Disgrace

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

#4476 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:09 am

The Cat and the Canary and Black Mask, plus a UK release of China O'Brian 1 and 2 on Blu-ray or 4K.

rapta

#4477 Post by rapta » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:24 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:45 pm
Last clue, I think, for their initial 2024 line-up. Anyone recognise this?

I figured out this is from Fukasaku's Message from Space.

However, I have reason to believe it'll be a US exclusive release (via MGM), if my recent correspondence with Eureka is indeed correct.

EDIT: Update on this, apparently it isn't a US exclusive after all, so we'll be getting it for the UK as well! The as-yet-unannounced US exclusive title was to avoid BBFC cuts, so I wonder if it's a HK title or a Western perhaps?

rapta

#4478 Post by rapta » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:52 pm

In even bigger news, just discovered that
SpoilerShow
The Valiant Ones
is coming to MoC in May and of course there will be both 4K and Blu-ray editions (with differing artwork to tell the two apart). Was hoping this would happen soon but didn't expect it this quickly! :D

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4479 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:53 pm

Finally!

ryannichols7

#4480 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:01 pm

wow, the 4K on that makes it extemely worth waiting for. awesome announcement. hoping as always that Tony Rayns is involved, his commentaries on the director's other films have been invaluable

rapta

#4481 Post by rapta » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:19 pm

As far as I know so far there is a Tony Rayns interview, a David Cairns essay, a Frank Djeng commentary and some interviews with cast and crew (both new and archival).

ryannichols7

#4482 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:37 pm

rapta wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:19 pm
As far as I know so far there is a Tony Rayns interview, a David Cairns essay, a Frank Djeng commentary and some interviews with cast and crew (both new and archival).
man, that's an all star package right there. can't wait, maybe one of the best May announcements from anyone

TechnicolorAcid

#4483 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:08 am

Titles are up:
Abashiri Prison I-III
A Queen’s Ransom
The Valiant Ones

What A Disgrace

#4484 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:27 am

Hopefully there are more Abashiri Prison sets to come, but this is otherwise a wonderful month's slate.

rapta

#4485 Post by rapta » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:02 pm

Haha, I guessed out loud on the other forum that the missing spine numbers between The Cat and the Canary and The Valiant Ones might well be an Abashiri Prison triple-bill...and I guessed correctly! Glad to see this announced the same month, though along with the Radiance announcements and Criterion porting Raging Bull over here, I'm now going to be bankrupt in May...

I imagine if this first set of Abashiri Prison films does well, they might license another 3/6 and do 'Vol. 2' and 'Vol. 3'. I assume Radiance will do the same with their Shinobi no mono films, and either label will presumably do Red Peony Gambler at some point (and perhaps even Miyamoto Musashi, if we're lucky).

dwk

#4486 Post by dwk » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:20 pm

Film Movement has the Red Peony titles in the US, so Eureka having the UK rights would make sense.

TechnicolorAcid

#4487 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:08 am

The Miracle Fighters is a comedic tale of taoist magic directed by the martial arts maestro behind Drunken Master, The Magnificent Butcher and Iron Monkey – the legendary Yuen Woo-ping!

During the Quing dynasty, marriage between Manchu and Han people is outlawed. When it is discovered that high-ranking official Kao Hsiung (Eddy Ko) has taken a Han wife, the Emperor informs him that he will be forgiven – but only if he kills his beloved before the court. When he refuses, Kao Hsiung is marked for death by the powerful Sorcerer Bat (Yuen Shun-yee) and forced to watch as his wife is slain before his eyes. Kao Hsiung flees, kidnapping the Crown Prince during his escape – but soon the prince is dead, and Kao Hsiung is forced to silently replace him with another young boy. In adulthood, that innocent child – Shu Gut ( Yuen Yat-chor) – finds himself relentlessly pursued by Sorcerer Bat, and turns to two quarrelling taoist priests in the hope of protecting himself with their magic.

Made in the same mould as its contemporaries Encounter of the Spooky Kind and The Dead and the Deadly, this riotous kung fu fantasy was followed by two equally entertaining thematic sequels in Shaolin Drunkard and Taoism Drunkard. Eureka Classics is proud to present The Miracle Fighters on Blu-ray from a brand new 2K restoration.

SPECIAL FEATURES
Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 copies]
1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray of the original Hong Kong theatrical cut from a brand new 2K restoration
Original Cantonese mono audio and optional classic English dub
Optional English subtitles, newly translated for this release
Brand new audio commentary on the Hong Kong theatrical version by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
Brand new audio commentary on the export version by action cinema experts Mike Leeder and Arne Venema
Action Master: An Interview with Yuen Woo-ping – archival interview by Frédéric Ambroisine
John Kreng on Yuen Woo-ping – brand new documentary featurette by Michael Worth
Reversible sleeve featuring original poster artwork
Trailer
A limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by James Oliver [2000 copies]

dwk

#4488 Post by dwk » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:40 am

A US/Can set with Sonny Chiba's Karate Bullfighter and Karate Bearfighter is also coming. (Explains why Shout Factory's Sonny Chiba 2 set only had the third film. Doesn't explain why they weren't licensed together.)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4489 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Does anybody know who has the video rights in the UK for these 2 Chibas ?

What A Disgrace

#4490 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:46 pm

I'm willing to bet this is a case of the ol' switcheroo - this time Eureka! has the US rights and Arrow has the UK rights, but that's just speculation.

dwk

#4491 Post by dwk » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:29 pm

It has been forever since I watched them, but could Karate Bullfighter be the title that would be censored in the UK?

rapta

#4492 Post by rapta » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:20 pm

dwk wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:29 pm
It has been forever since I watched them, but could Karate Bullfighter be the title that would be censored in the UK?
Exactly my thought. Eureka confessed there would be a US-exclusive due to BBFC cuts, and it'd make sense with either/both of these having potential animal cruelty quite obviously involved in their respective plots. Of course another UK label might have the rights, but they could be cut, and maybe Eureka didn't want to bother (presumably knowing they'd be cut significantly).

Anyway, glad to see Red Peony Gambler 1-3 announced! Kinda knew it'd be coming, as I mentioned in my previous post, and hopefully as with Abashiri Prison they might do some more after these three.