It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1832 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 74  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
Spine 900 will be the next new title next month


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 pm 

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:04 pm
So what will be #900? Was certain Barry would get it today...my favorite Kubrick.

Going to have to disagree with the poster who thinks Lolita is a superior film. It might be the best novel of the 20th century, but it's not entirely successful as a movie.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:18 am
JohnShade wrote:
So what will be #900? Was certain Barry would get it today...my favorite Kubrick.

Well, it's been about three years since The Grand Budapest Hotel was in theaters, so it's about due for a Criterion release.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:42 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:36 pm
The Tree of Life is due as well


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:43 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm
#900 could be anything. I just get the impression it's not a thing Criterion actively plans out so much as when determining final schedules they just pick whatever the "biggest" release is over a two-month period and arbitrarily assign it. So it could be Grand Budapest Hotel (but as we've not heard anything and Anderson's surely very busy, it probably isn't), it could be the Apartment or the Princess Bride, it could be Tree of Life, it could be the Breakfast Club. Basically any of the bigger titles that could be coming anytime soon.

Seems likely they'd anchor the October Criterion sale to the week that Barry Lyndon and Twin Peaks release...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 pm 

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:18 pm
Ribs wrote:
#900 could be...the Breakfast Club.


Talk about rubbing salt into the wound...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:52 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:07 pm
Ribs wrote:
#900 could be anything. I just get the impression it's not a thing Criterion actively plans out so much as when determining final schedules they just pick whatever the "biggest" release is over a two-month period and arbitrarily assign it.
That'd mean the special edition retread of Fantastic Mr. Fox was a bigger release than the Blu-ray debut of Persona. The only pattern to the big milestone numbers I can discern is that two of them have gone to Wes Anderson, and surely it was an intentional gesture to make Citizen Kane and La Grande Illusion #1.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 pm 

Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm
jedgeco wrote:
Morbii wrote:
Why does IAMMMMW need another release? End of print run?

Re-issue as a non-dual format edition?


If they release as a standalone Blu-ray release in one of those nice 2 disc Scanavo cases as opposed to that abysmal packaging it has now, I may finally break down and get it despite all the signs telling me not to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:53 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm
IAMMMMW is being released in the UK as blu-ray only, so I assume this change probably coincides with that + Dual Formats have been slowly dropping to separate editions.
====================================
So here's your speculation round-up:

The Lure - Janus tour (and all of the promotion that goes along with that)

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me - April Newsletter clue + was on Itunes from Criterion / Janus' website. Despite the grumbling, Janus now owns the rights - they weren't going to pass on it.

Personal Shopper - Had no rumors or info on this one. I'm sure many have guessed it was coming, but we didn't have anything definitive.

Barry Lyndon - A Surprise! No rumors or anything for this one - just a lot of wishful hopes.

Vampyr - Typical surprise upgrade. Although back when they got rid of the large book - they mistakenly put (Blu-ray edition only) - thus we all got our hopes up, but now it finally comes out and looks like the book is back!
================================
Interesting month. Barry Lyndon is more of a November title. They could have easily done an all horror month - but usually we're lucky to even get 2 horror-y themed movies (wasn't last year only the Del Toro set / Pan?) - so at least we get three here. Am disappointed by the lack of Night of the Living Dead (we'll probably get a Janus tour soon at least) - but I kind of wonder if Romero's death didn't cause them to push it back - like they didn't want to be all "hey look, Romero died, but look what we have!" (though any reason seems to be a reason for Criterion to put something off for another month :P ). Somewhat odd to have two modern films released within a month. Also three surprises this month (that we didn't know were coming).

Of all the announcements this month, I think the addition of Filming Othello is the most exciting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
Minkin wrote:
Barry Lyndon - A Surprise! No rumors or anything for this one - just a lot of wishful hopes.
Perhaps the candles from the Wacky Drawing were for this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Minkin wrote:
Barry Lyndon - A Surprise! No rumors or anything for this one - just a lot of wishful hopes.
Perhaps the candles from the Wacky Drawing were for this.
Yeah, but then why have 16 Candles? + we're getting Breakfast Club! We can just settle for the almighty double clue :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:10 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm
Gregory wrote:
Ribs wrote:
#900 could be anything. I just get the impression it's not a thing Criterion actively plans out so much as when determining final schedules they just pick whatever the "biggest" release is over a two-month period and arbitrarily assign it.
That'd mean the special edition retread of Fantastic Mr. Fox was a bigger release than the Blu-ray debut of Persona. The only pattern to the big milestone numbers I can discern is that two of them have gone to Wes Anderson, and surely it was an intentional gesture to make Citizen Kane and La Grande Illusion #1.


Yes, that's right, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Fantastic Mr. Fox sold way more copies than Persona and was as such a bigger release for Criterion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:07 pm
I don't know what makes you so completely certain about Criterion's sales figures in a case like this one or, more to the point, that they even tend to give such an ultimately unimportant "honor" based on the projected number of units sold (wasn't The Honeymoon Killers one of the past round-number spines?), but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that there are way more interesting things on the forum to discuss.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 pm 

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:31 pm
I am patiently awaiting:
-Gun Crazy
-Lost Highway
-Rocco and His Brothers
-Lady Eve upgrade
-La vie d'Adele special edition (though this one is admittedly a long shot)
-Le samourai upgrade
-True Lies (considering that this does't even have a standard blu ray release, licensing it out to CC is the least that Fox can do)

And Grand Budapest will be #900. It seems to me that Criterion does pay attention to spine numbers; remember how Devil's Backbone was #666? Not to mention Life Aquatic and Mr. Fox have #300 and #700, respectively. Personally IDGAF about them but I know some people are anal about spine numbers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:03 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:45 pm
I have seen True Lies probably a dozen times (mostly as a child), and I honestly had no idea, until I looked it up just now, that James Cameron directed it. This really does explain a lot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 7:25 am
Robespierre wrote:
And Grand Budapest will be #900. It seems to me that Criterion does pay attention to spine numbers; remember how Devil's Backbone was #666? Not to mention Life Aquatic and Mr. Fox have #300 and #700, respectively. Personally IDGAF about them but I know some people are anal about spine numbers.


+ STALKER was 888 (infinity).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:26 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:07 pm
R0lf wrote:
Robespierre wrote:
And Grand Budapest will be #900. It seems to me that Criterion does pay attention to spine numbers; remember how Devil's Backbone was #666? Not to mention Life Aquatic and Mr. Fox have #300 and #700, respectively. Personally IDGAF about them but I know some people are anal about spine numbers.

+ STALKER was 888 (infinity).

Obviously they assigned Riot in Cell Block 11 to #704 because 7+4= ... you guessed it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 am 

Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:12 am
Mosfilm's restoration of Come and See has been announced for Venice Classics, so hopefully the Criterion release comes sooner rather than later. Hopefully we'll get a release for Ozu's Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:04 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm
Gregory wrote:
R0lf wrote:
Robespierre wrote:
And Grand Budapest will be #900. It seems to me that Criterion does pay attention to spine numbers; remember how Devil's Backbone was #666? Not to mention Life Aquatic and Mr. Fox have #300 and #700, respectively. Personally IDGAF about them but I know some people are anal about spine numbers.

+ STALKER was 888 (infinity).

Obviously they assigned Riot in Cell Block 11 to #704 because 7+4= ... you guessed it.

Don't forget #666.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 am 

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:23 pm
It would be hard to forget something mentioned five posts ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm
Re: announcements


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Luke M wrote:

Hilarious.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:20 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:24 pm
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I just saw a screening of The Color of Pomegranates that played with the Janus logo in front of it (accompanied with some info about the restoration.) I did some quick digging and found that the director has a phantom page...

Could this mean a criterion edition is on the way?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:51 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Great Falls, Montana
JayAlmighty wrote:
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I just saw a screening of The Color of Pomegranates that played with the Janus logo in front of it (accompanied with some info about the restoration.) I did some quick digging and found that the director has a phantom page...

Could this mean a criterion edition is on the way?


Yes. Most certainly. But in what format is my question. Would it be a part of the World Cinema Project?

And I'll add that I'd love to see Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors in the Collection as well. I can assure everyone here that it has some most batshit amazing cinematography ever. Is that still with Kino?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:52 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:47 pm
JayAlmighty wrote:
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I just saw a screening of The Color of Pomegranates that played with the Janus logo in front of it (accompanied with some info about the restoration.) I did some quick digging and found that the director has a phantom page...

Could this mean a criterion edition is on the way?


No, Janus slapped their logo on it without permission just so they could steal credit for the restoration and the phantom page on criterion's site is a very early 2018 april fool's joke. Code Red will be releasing color of pomegranates in November specifically on black friday morning only at Best Buy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1832 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 74  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection