Criterion on Social Media

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
aox

Criterion on Social Media

#1 Post by aox » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:02 am

Where is this Criterion thing on Facebook? Is it the group that is based on this website? I am a member of that but it seems to have not had any activity since May.

and I searched the groups and found nothing.

aox

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

#3 Post by aox » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:21 am

thanks

Perkins Cobb

#4 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:50 pm

All these years of us hardcore loyalists prying tidbits out of Mulvaney's deathgrip, and now all of a sudden Criterion is getting all chummy with the hipsters on fucking Facebook? Well, eff them, and the fedoras on their pointy little heads.

bearcuborg

#5 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:55 pm

What's with hipster hatred? :-k

Napier

#6 Post by Napier » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:All these years of us hardcore loyalists prying tidbits out of Mulvaney's deathgrip, and now all of a sudden Criterion is getting all chummy with the hipsters on fucking Facebook? Well, eff them, and the fedoras on their pointy little heads.
Maybe they just didn't like the way we've been going about it all these years. Whining, bitching, name calling, condemning certain decisions they made, cover choices....etc........etc..... You know, the stuff that's kept me coming back for years.

Doctor Sunshine

#7 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:42 pm

Napier wrote:Maybe they just didn't like the way we've been going about it all these years. Whining, bitching, name calling, condemning certain decisions they made, cover choices....etc........etc..... You know, the stuff that's kept me coming back for years.
So we're the old nagging wife, "When are we going to get some nice Ozu like the Joneses? No, no, that's too much, I've got a headache", and facebook is the flirty, young secretary. We expected Mulvaney to answer those questionnaires every year and then complain unabashedly about the answers where facebookers get ecstatic over the slightest crumb. Still, if facebook has any delusions that they'll ever leave us for them, they've got another thing coming.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#8 Post by Tribe » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:45 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:All these years of us hardcore loyalists prying tidbits out of Mulvaney's deathgrip, and now all of a sudden Criterion is getting all chummy with the hipsters on fucking Facebook? Well, eff them, and the fedoras on their pointy little heads.
I don't have a fedora....but I have this:

Tribe

#9 Post by Tribe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:05 am

Why Criterion will regret opening up on Facebook:
Whose dick do I have to suck for a Criterion release of Dennis Hopper's Out of the Blue? Please tell me. Really.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#10 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:17 am

Tribe wrote:Why Criterion will regret opening up on Facebook:
Whose dick do I have to suck for a Criterion release of Dennis Hopper's Out of the Blue? Please tell me. Really.
I asked on their Facebook if they regret opening the proverbial Pandora's Box and now have to answer the questions of every damn person on their page. They said they have faith in us. That's giving us a lot of credit I think, especially to this dick sucker here.

Gregory

#11 Post by Gregory » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:17 pm

And yet they let the forum's last interview slide without a reply? Nice.
They're probably well aware this place tends to be world headquarters for bitching about their company and products, but still...

Napier

#12 Post by Napier » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:11 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Tribe wrote:Why Criterion will regret opening up on Facebook:
I asked on their Facebook if they regret opening the proverbial Pandora's Box and now have to answer the questions of every damn person on their page. They said they have faith in us. That's giving us a lot of credit I think, especially to this dick sucker here.
One sure good thing that will come of Criterion being so forthcoming on their facebook page, is most of the dot.com riffraff will probably spend more time there, as opposed to here.

Tom Hagen

#13 Post by Tom Hagen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:40 pm

I frankly don't understand what's newsworthy about any of the Facebook stuff. "Such and such title is a possibility." BFD.

ianungstad

#14 Post by ianungstad » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Napier wrote:One sure good thing that will come of Criterion being so forthcoming on their facebook page, is most of the dot.com riffraff will probably spend more time there, as opposed to here.
What .com riff raff is this? As a moderator and one of the owners of .com I know who most of the people on that forum are and besides me posting a few questions, I haven't seen any .com people posting on the Facebook page, outside of one member who contributed a video to the Jeanne Dielman contest. It's .org riff raff that's flooding Criterion's facebook dude. No need for lame digs.

Napier

#15 Post by Napier » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:35 pm

Don't take things people post on the internet so seriously. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or bruise your ego.

mteller

#16 Post by mteller » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:38 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:I asked on their Facebook if they regret opening the proverbial Pandora's Box and now have to answer the questions of every damn person on their page. They said they have faith in us. That's giving us a lot of credit I think, especially to this dick sucker here.
Haha, I knew that would turn out to be someone from .org

Mr Sausage

#17 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:45 pm

ianungstad wrote: It's .org riff raff that's flooding Criterion's facebook dude. No need for lame digs.
Apparently there is still need for "lame digs," at least enough for you not to take your own advice.

Dr. Snaut

#18 Post by Dr. Snaut » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:40 pm

Last time I browsed through .com, I found that ianungstad literally copied and pasted what someone wrote on this board on his board. I find it ironic now that he is lambasting .org about their participation on facebook. I think someone needs to grow up.

CSM126

#19 Post by CSM126 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:17 pm

Dr. Snaut wrote:Last time I browsed through .com, I found that ianungstad literally copied and pasted what someone wrote on this board on his board.
To be fair, he's copying and pasting himself nine times out of ten.

ianungstad

#20 Post by ianungstad » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:42 pm

My use of the term riff raff wasn't meant as an insult to this forum. It was a bit of word play related to Napier's post and his use of the term riff raff. Nothing more. I wouldn't insult either forum, they are both great!
Last edited by ianungstad on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#21 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Whattaya mean by that!?!?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#22 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:19 pm

I've been meaning to do this but I noticed it was actually becoming quite uncommon since they got their new forum so I didn't bother bringing it up, but I think it would be beneficial if we stopped with the snide comments against .com as a whole. I'm sure if someone posts something incredibly insipid there it's fair game on that individual (and I'm sure there will always be some slight ribbing) but I don't think chastising the entire forum helps anyone there or here, and honestly it doesn't reflect well on this community as a whole. I think most of the animosity towards that site stems from when it was originally at criteriondvd.com and the new one (from what I've seen, though haven't looked lately admittedly) isn't at all like the old forum.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:58 pm

I would be willing to turn all future Dot Com jokes into jokes about the Auteurs' forum

ianungstad

#24 Post by ianungstad » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:17 pm

Dr. Snaut wrote:Last time I browsed through .com, I found that ianungstad literally copied and pasted what someone wrote on this board on his board. I find it ironic now that he is lambasting .org about their participation on facebook. I think someone needs to grow up.
As CSM said, if you saw me copying and pasting a post on the .com forum, it's usually my own and related to some bit of news/gossip. I just see it as a way of avoiding having to write the same post twice so I can contribute to discussions at both forums. That might be a bit of a faux paus but it helps that my user names at both forums are fairly similar.

Thanks for that post Chris! For the most part I don't take things seriously on the internet but when you've had to go through the motions of finding a domain name, hosting, buying invision bulletin board, setting the whole thing up from scratch (twice) and weeding out spam bots, verifying accounts, it's a lot of work for all the mods at .com and I think it nettles everyone a bit to constantly be compared to a bunch of posters who started some flame war 4 years ago, who have long since vanished into the ether of the internet.

One of the reasons why .com is much better now than it was at Criteriondvd, is that the board has moderation now. Before any internet weirdo could create an account and post whatever nonsense and there really wasn't anything anyone could do about it. That being said, it's a constant work in progress...

Anyways, that's enough for a topic that's decidedly off-topic.

Tribe

#25 Post by Tribe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:40 pm

Will it still be ok to make jokes about the commenters on Criterion's Facebook page?